Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 02:13:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

74 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: ASP or STU?  (Read 5196 times)

JB.STI

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
ASP or STU?
« on: April 17, 2015, 03:32:10 PM »
My car is a 2007 Subaru STI, I Prepped it to run in STU years ago.
Changes in SCCA car classing last year said that my car was to go to ASP. Ok fine, I ran my same STU prep but added increased boost levels, as that was not allowed in STU but is in ASP. After the classing change last year I was still seeing event results posted on the SCCA forum with 07' STI’s continuing to run in STU.

I ignored those results and ran my car in the class I believed it was to be in. (ASP)
Come 2015 there are changes to Subaru classing yet again. 2015 ASP car classing now reads;

Subaru
Impreza WRX (all incl. STI)
(2002-14), Legacy (Turbo)
(2004-14), & Forester XT
(2004-14)

This says to me that all years of Subaru WRX (STI) from 2002-2014 are in ASP.
Confirmed in fastrack news April 2015.

The thing is, I am yet again seeing 2015 event results posted on the SCCA forum listing STI's still running in STU. What gives?
Do I run under prepped in ASP yet again this year, or can I load up my STU legal map and run STU?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: ASP or STU?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 03:45:21 PM »
STi's have always been in STU I thot????

Maybe check the classing in the rule book.

They were BSP for a bit and the classes got shuffled and they became ASP .... not STU to ASP....

R

JB.STI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 04:07:52 PM »
This is from the 2015 rule book.

ASP;
Subaru
Impreza WRX (all incl. STI)
(2002-14), Legacy (Turbo)
(2004-14), & Forester XT
(2004-14)

No longer any Subaru listed in STU at all, that was the change this year. I believe 2014 had STI's in other years than mine still listed in STU, and of course the WRX's in STX. Now those have also been moved to ASP.

We did actually speak about this briefly last year Reijo, the consensus was to see where they were classing them down south and do the same. I just chose to run it in ASP as that's what I read the rules as saying.
It was brought back to my attention when I was looking at the results posted so far this year, and with National's here again this year I want to get it right and prepare early.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 08:47:34 PM »
That is definitely a mystery.  The rules are pretty clear (ASP), but why are STI's showing up in National Tour results (e.g. Dixie) as both ASP and STU?

I can only assume some sort of granfathering clause somewhere that allowed them in STU for a bit.  I think you are stuck with ASP.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Cagare

• Administrator
  • :|
  • 2020 Club President
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 12:24:14 AM »
So, basically, the only thing that puts you into ASP is your engine tune not using stock boost tables.  Just get another map, through a pro-tuner or however, and make sure it uses stock boost tables and go back to STU.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 03:10:24 AM »
Page 179 of Appendix A:  STU (Street Touring Ultra):

Subaru Impreza WRX STI
                 Impreza WRX (09-14*)

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2015-3-31_Appendix_A_Automobile_Classes_online.pdf

Don't know where you looked but it is still there  e.g. all WRX STI's plus the WRX's since 09.  Maybe you had to scroll down the page further?  I noted it wanted to skip to the next page before getting to the bottom of the page.

STI's are also listed in ASP .... a "street prepared" class .... different category.  Usually only some exotics/other really fast cars skip the Street Touring classes (like Lotus Exige etc.)

Cheers,

R

JB.STI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 10:16:30 AM »
Well I guess that changes things, I thought the changes last year moved my 07' STi out of STU all together. I was positive I didn't see the listing in STU for it at all in the 2014 rules. Grandfathering as Murray mentioned, was one thought I considered as to why there were cars still running in STU.

I have put my STU legal protune to good use in the past Cagare, so unless there are objections it looks like I may use it again. Test and tune runs proved to me that the limited stock boost levels never had much measurable affect on my times due to our track designs anyway. 
Realistically my choice between the two classes is going to be based on how many other competitors show up at events to run them.
ASP was kind of lonely last year but when others were running I was far from being outclassed in raw times.

On a side note, it would be great if you could utilize the new registration info to generate a updating list of entrants and their classes Murray.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 10:23:46 AM »
On a side note, it would be great if you could utilize the new registration info to generate a updating list of entrants and their classes Murray.

That's covered by the latest release of the MJTiming software.  It now updates classes and groups and novice status automatically when importing from a Motorsportreg report (special report, surprisingly called M&JTiming report :) )  Checkin at the event should go much faster now, especially since people can still register when they don't pay on line or even aren't sure if they can make it to the event.

BTW -- you can see the entrant list for an event any time.  Just log into MSR and click on the Entry List link for that event.
2017 Miata (C Street)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 10:27:46 AM »
Motorsportreg has an option to see who is entered .... seems to be turned off....   maybe just overlooked?

R

JB.STI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 10:29:13 AM »
Unless I'm missing it somewhere, I mean a list I can check before I come to the venue.

I don't have the length of drive you guys do so I prep my car the night before with the hopes of minimal effort expenditures in the mornings. ;)

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 10:31:18 AM »
OK -- I log into MSR (as Murray Peterson, not the organizer) and I can see the entry lists just fine.

Edit: try it now.
2017 Miata (C Street)

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 10:34:43 AM »
I had the attendee list restricted to registered attendees.  I have opened it up to the general public now.
2017 Miata (C Street)

JB.STI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 10:36:19 AM »
Got it. list is there and I can see it.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 03:27:39 AM »
FYI -- you can go into Motorsportreg and change your info at any time.  Like moving from ASP to STU :)
2017 Miata (C Street)

JB.STI

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 09:12:22 AM »
There is 1 other entry in ASP on the day I can make it so I may as well wait to see if anyone comes out to play in STU before any change.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11459
  • Total Topics: 1572
  • Online Today: 93
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 74
Total: 74