Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 12:47:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

67 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Help with Car Classing  (Read 1849 times)

Jeff Lange

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
Help with Car Classing
« on: August 15, 2016, 10:12:47 PM »
So I've never run my car in any events before and wanted some help with classing. I've read through some of the SCCA rule books and the appendix and so on, but that still leaves me a bit unsure.

If my car was offered as it sits from the factory, I would expect to be classed as F Street Touring as far as I can tell, but it's not exactly that easy.

My car started life as an IS250 and is now an IS350. That is to say, I have (for all intents and purposes) basically a stock IS350 with different sway bars. But since the car started life with a 2.5L and now has a 3.5L engine, would that put me into Street Modified? The car still has a stock intake, stock air filter, stock exhaust, stock cooling system, etc.

I believe the SCCA considers the IS250 and IS350 as separate models and not the IS as a model with different engine options (I think)?

I am running Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R's on stock wheels.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jeff

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Car Classing
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 12:58:52 AM »
Is this a JDM car?

Also an engine swap (must be same manufacturer for this) automatically puts you in SM.

R

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 06:42:40 AM »
Is this a JDM car?

Also an engine swap (must be same manufacturer for this) automatically puts you in SM.

R

In certain cases an engine swap can fit into the update/backdate rule of Street Prepared, but usually, it puts you into SM.  I can't find a relevant SP classing for the Lexus IS250/350, so I think it's SM for you.

Welcome to solo Jeff!

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 07:31:45 AM »
Yeah ... in SP you would also have to transfer all the other pieces that go with the engine ... such as seats, interior trim, and any brakes, drivetrain etc. that belong with that particular pkg.   E.g. you have to transform the car in its entirety.  But as Q said ... usually you just end up in SM with an engine swap within the manufacturer.  Outside of that you end up in XP or some mod class maybe.

Jeff Lange

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 09:27:05 AM »
Is this a JDM car?

No, it's a Canada-spec car.

R

In certain cases an engine swap can fit into the update/backdate rule of Street Prepared, but usually, it puts you into SM.  I can't find a relevant SP classing for the Lexus IS250/350, so I think it's SM for you.

Alright, that is what I thought.

Welcome to solo Jeff!

Thanks Q. Last Auto-X I was at was way back in 2005 with my AE86. Looking forward to giving it another go. :)

Yeah ... in SP you would also have to transfer all the other pieces that go with the engine ... such as seats, interior trim, and any brakes, drivetrain etc. that belong with that particular pkg.   E.g. you have to transform the car in its entirety.  But as Q said ... usually you just end up in SM with an engine swap within the manufacturer.  Outside of that you end up in XP or some mod class maybe.

Yeah, SM is definitely where I need to be, as a package like my car never existed from the factory. I've got the brakes, etc., however the key point is that the IS350 was never offered with a manual transmission, which I have. So yeah... SM.

Haha.

Jeff

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11459
  • Total Topics: 1572
  • Online Today: 76
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0