Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:14:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

113 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Results for APRIL 28 practise, APRIL 29 competition events at Fort Macleod  (Read 2506 times)

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Type_Yarr

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Thanks Murray for getting these up so quick!
Richard B

PaulT

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
I'm not quite sure what happened yesterday? Those of us in the second run group did indeed drive in the rain but it appeared to be subsiding towards the end and after all had run the cones were being stacked. Was the event called because of safety concerns? Perhaps a drivers meeting would have been a good way to explain the circumstances. Regards PaulT
PaulT #202

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
I'm not quite sure what happened yesterday? Those of us in the second run group did indeed drive in the rain but it appeared to be subsiding towards the end and after all had run the cones were being stacked. Was the event called because of safety concerns? Perhaps a drivers meeting would have been a good way to explain the circumstances. Regards PaulT

Definitely not a safety concern. Murray made the suggestion to shut it down as it was cold and miserable for the marshals, I was in agreement, the marshals I talked to near me were in favor and when I asked the remainder of the marshals over the radio if anyone was opposed to shutting it down it was radio silence. Not sure if anyone chatted with some of the drivers in grid? The forecast for the remainder of the day was looking worse not better. In hindsight we should have had a drivers meeting to see if there was any interest in people staying to do some afternoon fun runs (and then cleaning up, taking everything to storage, getting timing/radios to Murray etc). We didn't finish morning runs until ~12:45 meaning we wouldn't have even gotten going on afternoon runs until 1:45 best case, would have made for a late day.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
FYI:  I had work to do etc. so I left about noon, got home in NW Calgary at 2 pm.  I did not hit serious rain, only occasional spitting (had dry roads except for two approx. 1 km. stretches near Nanton that was damp), until I hit the south end of Calgary (about 1:30ish) where it was raining lightly and the pavement was wet and I had spray from other vehicles.  It was raining steady in the NW when I got home.

I was curious how the weather went down there and judging by what I saw was showers in the Porcupine Hills (the hills west of Claresholm etc.) but only spotty stuff otherwise on the prairies.  I figured you might escape the worst of it from what I saw.

Hmmm....but I guess we don't know now.  Maybe, in hindsight, I should have phoned back a weather forecast of what was coming from the NW!   :)

JamesTCallaghan

• If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
FYI:  I had work to do etc. so I left about noon, got home in NW Calgary at 2 pm.  I did not hit serious rain, only occasional spitting (had dry roads except for two approx. 1 km. stretches near Nanton that was damp), until I hit the south end of Calgary (about 1:30ish) where it was raining lightly and the pavement was wet and I had spray from other vehicles.  It was raining steady in the NW when I got home.

I was curious how the weather went down there and judging by what I saw was showers in the Porcupine Hills (the hills west of Claresholm etc.) but only spotty stuff otherwise on the prairies.  I figured you might escape the worst of it from what I saw.

Hmmm....but I guess we don't know now.  Maybe, in hindsight, I should have phoned back a weather forecast of what was coming from the NW!   :)

I left Ft Mcleod at 2:15 and 90% of my drive home was light to moderate rain I’d say.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
I left a bit earlier, and the rain was heavy in places.  The biggest nasty was the wind -- it was a very unpleasant drive home :(
2017 Miata (C Street)

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
So, Tom took my car for a run on Saturday and beat my best time by over 1 second :(  Oh, and that time (59.0 seconds) was FTD raw for the day as well.

I had videos of both runs, so I fired up Race Render and started doing some comparisons.  I would post a video, but it's boring.  Basically, Tom managed over 50% of his lead by short shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, while I held on too long and lost time when the red line limiter backed off on the throttle.  The remaining time wasn't what I though it would be (me being insufficiently aggressive).  We both swear by the huge lateral grip that the Miata provides, but I am taking advantage of that grip to be a bit too lazy and not getting close enough to the cones.  The car is running at red line for a lot of the run, so I wasn't thinking of the time lost by going a bit too far around the cones.

FYI, the only place where I gained time on Tom was through the slalom, but it wasn't nearly enough to make up the difference.

2017 Miata (C Street)

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
Sound logs for Event 1 are attached.

So, Tom took my car for a run on Saturday and beat my best time by over 1 second :(  Oh, and that time (59.0 seconds) was FTD raw for the day as well.

I had videos of both runs, so I fired up Race Render and started doing some comparisons.  I would post a video, but it's boring.  Basically, Tom managed over 50% of his lead by short shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, while I held on too long and lost time when the red line limiter backed off on the throttle.  The remaining time wasn't what I though it would be (me being insufficiently aggressive).  We both swear by the huge lateral grip that the Miata provides, but I am taking advantage of that grip to be a bit too lazy and not getting close enough to the cones.  The car is running at red line for a lot of the run, so I wasn't thinking of the time lost by going a bit too far around the cones.

FYI, the only place where I gained time on Tom was through the slalom, but it wasn't nearly enough to make up the difference.

Thanks for the opportunity to drive your car. The car can carry so much speed through the slaloms it's crazy, every time I got to a slalom I was braking way too much.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
Thanks for the opportunity to drive your car. The car can carry so much speed through the slaloms it's crazy, every time I got to a slalom I was braking way too much.

Yeah, its slalom capability is astonishing.  On Sunday, I had to get into 3rd gear -- for the slalom  :o  And I believe that both of us were going slower than we could on Saturday.
2017 Miata (C Street)

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11460
  • Total Topics: 1572
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0