Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 04:46:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

34 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Hi! - New to Solo Cross in my Volvo C30  (Read 2273 times)

TurboSwede

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
Hi! - New to Solo Cross in my Volvo C30
« on: July 10, 2020, 03:27:56 PM »
Hi Everyone!

My name is Andrew, and I am really excited to meet y'all and do some Solo Cross this summer :)

I drive a 2007 Volvo C30 and would love to get in touch to learn more about what I need to bring to my first ever event.

It is so wonderful that we as Albertans (and maybe some Saskatchewaners!) have been able to flatten the curve and get back to doing something we all love - DRIVING HARD

My car is bone stock.

I think I need a SNELL helmet, and a set of magnetic numbers to go on the side doors and not wreck my paint.

What else should I bring to the Fort Macleod and Airdrie events this summer???

Looking forward to meeting you all and making some like minded petrol head friends,
Andrew

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
Re: Hi! - New to Solo Cross in my Volvo C30
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 02:40:18 PM »
Hey Andrew,

I'm a little surprised no one's responded yet. They're probably all outside enjoying the weather. :)

Make sure you bring the following:

* Helmet with a rating of Snell M2010, SA2010, or later (usually we have loaner helmets available, but that's on hold due to COVID)
* Waiver forms (there's links to them on the registration page)
* Footwear that's comfortable enough for a full day on your feet
* Enough drinks and snacks to last you the whole day (there's usually a lunch break or downtime to grab lunch, but it's nice to have something on hand to nibble on if a session runs long)
* Layered clothing appropriate for a day that may start off at 15 degrees and end at 30
* Sunscreen and/or rain gear, depending on the forecast
* Something for car numbers -- magnetic numbers are great, but many people use blue or green painter's tape, or you can even just tape a paper number to the side of your car

Since your car's bone stock, you should run 40+ psi in your tires, otherwise they'll roll over and kill the tread on the shoulders. Some people bring inflators and tire gauges to the site, but you can also set your pressures before the event.

When you show up, make sure you take part in the novice course walk, which happens between the end of registration and the driver's meeting. There, someone experienced will point out how to approach the course, and what to keep your eyes open for.

Hope to see you out there!

Steve
Stephen Hui

Tuna

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • KG not kg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 09:14:49 PM »
Nice response Steve. I think we're on 2010 helmets these days tho

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 12:13:23 PM »
Yeah, you’re right. Snell 2005 helmets are still legal with the SCCA until the end of this year, but it looks like they were only allowed through 2018 in Canada. Updated my original post.
Stephen Hui

rx7racerca

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
  • Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's all looks, no go...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 10:52:40 AM »
Not a response to your original topic, but your username appears to be your real name (or a real name). You might want to change it to something slightly more anonymous. Not that anyone here is likely to stalk you or make your life difficult, but in the past, insurance companies have done so.

Quite a few years back (like 15+ years), someone at an Alberta autocross event damaged their car, and subsequently claimed it on their insurance, which is not legit - when you are competing, your street insurance is null & void. Car damage (beyond rub marks from cones!) doesn't happen often, but it can. The club carries insurance in the event of injuries to spectators/course workers/damage to venue property, but not your car, so claims on your auto policy are considered fraud if discovered.

The insurer who discovered the false claim for car damage that occurred at an autocross (not a Calgary club), an insurer that represented a large association of Alberta motorists, didn't just cancel the insurance of the person who made the fraudulent claim, they took the liberty of combing the Alberta club forums and preemptively cancelled the insurance of some other participants they were able to identify from event results, etc., and who were insured with the same motoring association. So autocrossing is legal, but you do have to understand your insurance doesn't cover you for what happens at events, and because of how Alberta insurance law is written, your insurer can punish you anyway for doing something legal even if you don't make fraudulent claims.

Long story short, a bit of caution is in order with regard to identifying yourself on a publicly accessible forum, despite this being a perfectly legal activity. This is also why event results show only first names, to make it harder for anyone to identify participants, which is a good idea anyway in the age of social media.
Greg
#89, '91 RX-7 Sport, STS

94boosted

• Administrator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 08:39:05 AM »
Also be sure to check out our web page, some great info in there: https://web.sascsolo.com/
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

TurboSwede

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 10:23:01 AM »
@rx7Racerca
Thanks for the tip!! I had not thought of that unscrupulous move by an insurer, and you are totally right, it is better to be safe than sorry. I've got a new handle now - TurboSwede :)

Everyone, thank you for making me feel welcome, I am really proud to be part of this club!

Time to purchase a new racing helmet and get ready for the Airdrie event August 16

Jackal

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 02:55:01 PM »

* Helmet with a rating of Snell M2010, SA2010, or later (usually we have loaner helmets available, but that's on hold due to COVID)

Just adding to the helmet qualifications.  ECE 22.05 Helmets were also allowed for ten years after the manufacture date on the tag as of the ASN 2019 regulations.  To my knowledge that has not changed in 2020.

https://www.asncanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/2019-ASN-Autoslalom-Regulations.pdf

Light a man a fire you keep him warm for a night. Light a man ON fire you keep him warm the rest of his life.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11457
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 47
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34