Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 03:19:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

63 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Noise & PR  (Read 2289 times)

Terry Johns

• :|
  • "It's the nut behind the wheel that's the problem"
    • View Profile
    • Solutions Life Coaching
Noise & PR
« on: April 26, 2016, 07:29:05 AM »
I'm very pleased to hear that the club is taking seriously the noise issue, particularly after the struggled to keep the lot this year. I would also like to suggest that 1/2 way through the season we personally visit each house and ask the residence if we can improve what we are doing.

I am always mesmerised by the way in which we test cars for noise here in Canada. In the UK, noise is checked before you can run, so the problem of potentially noisy cars is dealt with before they cause a problem, wouldn't that make sense ?

Each participant is asked to sit in his car, and hold the throttle at 4000 rpm, 2500 for diesel, the marshal then stands 3 meters from the exhaust tip and holds the decibel meter. The reading is way more accurate and consistently the same bar weather. conditions.

Can I suggest we look into an alternative way of doing this.

In the mean time well done to all who got the ball rolling.  :)
Terry Johns #8. 2015 CS Miata
Car is reasonably competitive, shame about the driver

Stuart

• That cone is still in the box!
  • Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
Re: Noise & PR
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 08:39:45 AM »
The trouble with static testing is it does not account for vehicles that get much louder under load or ones with trick exhaust such as the bypass flapper on some Vettes.  That is the intent behind measuring near a wide open section of the course, and trying to catch the high load/RPM volume.

94boosted

• Administrator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 09:54:23 AM »
That's right Stuart, my car for example @ 4000RPM and no load would automatically have the active exhaust closed and sound whisper quiet.

As the ASN Canada Rule Book doesn't specify how SPL should be measured we decided to follow the SCCA Rules:

Refer to Appendix I (page 274) of the 2016 SCCA Solo Rules  http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/013/596/2016-3-24_Solo_Rules_reduced.pdf?1458855434

The measurement will be taken at a point where the vehicle can reason-ably be expected to be under load at full throttle. The measuring point will be 50 feet from the edge of the course using an ANSI Type 2 sound meter set to “A” weighting, “Slow” response. The microphone will be 3 to
4 feet above ground level, positioned perpendicular to vehicle direction of travel. The microphone will be away from structures (e.g., buildings) as is practical.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

NickST

• Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 10:05:16 AM »
I am also sure the neighbors would not be thrilled with the morning noise check of 40~50 cars

rrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

pause

pause

;D

Plus in order to do that check, we would have to start at 10:00am at the earliest and it would cut into our running time

Terry Johns

• "It's the nut behind the wheel that's the problem"
    • View Profile
    • Solutions Life Coaching
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 10:54:44 AM »
Point taken
Terry Johns #8. 2015 CS Miata
Car is reasonably competitive, shame about the driver

Recent

Members