Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 07:15:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

41 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Bridgestone RE71R wear  (Read 10223 times)

NickST

• :|
  • Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgestone RE71R wear
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 09:41:38 PM »
This year has been pretty crazy when it comes to planning out my tires. I feel like I am playing a high level game of tire management all the time. I was looking at my core schedule for this year and it goes something like this:

July 30: 8 Runs
July 31: 12 Runs
Aug 27: 8 Runs
Aug 28: 6 Runs
Sep 17: 8 Runs
Sep 18: 6 Runs
Oct 01: 8 Runs
Oct 02: 6 Runs

Total Runs: 62... although probably more

I figure I have 12 competitive runs left on my current set before I flip them and downgrade them to fun run tires. My first set of new tires from this year year has perhaps 24 runs left in them before they are totally done. Then I have another 50 competitive runs on a brand new set of loose tires.

Once I flip the tires inside out, they still stick well enough, but they do get noticeably slower compared to a fresh set. From what I've been seeing, a flipped set is about 0.5~1.0 seconds slower than a fresh set on a 60 second course, and a well worn set is nearly 2 second slower.

Depending on wear, I hopefully can do the Aug 14, Aug 21, and Sept 24th events. I am probably going to just skip the July 23rd/24th events.

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »
Once I flip the tires inside out, they still stick well enough, but they do get noticeably slower compared to a fresh set. From what I've been seeing, a flipped set is about 0.5~1.0 seconds slower than a fresh set on a 60 second course, and a well worn set is nearly 2 second slower.

What's your trigger for flipping tires?

I haven't noticed RE-71Rs falling off after being flipped. Having said that, I've found that tires that have significantly asymmetrical wear often take a bit to come back in after being flipped. Learned that lesson the hard way back in my Spec Miata days, when I put some freshly flipped tires on the back end of my car and promptly spun into the wall on my out lap.

Maybe flip them sooner?
Stephen Hui

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 10:21:39 PM »
I usually flip them just as the tread pattern starts to disappear... so not totally bald, but very close. I had a set that I flipped too soon, and I ended up regretted it later just because I could have easily gotten another 25 runs out of them.  What I have found is I get the full grip right up to the flip... might as well try to maximize the competitive runs I can get out of it.

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 01:26:39 AM »
Ah, ok. The point at which you flip your tires is past the point at which I throw mine in a dumpster. :)
Stephen Hui

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 07:17:24 AM »
I think next year I am going to try some different tires. Firstly to get longer life, and secondly because I am fairly certain I can stuff 215/45's on it.

Does anybody have experience with the Falken Azenis RT615K's? I have not found any good comparison reviews on them yet.

I am also tempted to buy 2 Dunlop Direzza Star Spec ZII's in 225/45R16.... just to see if they will work on either the front of rear :)

EDIT: I just confirmed with some of the US Fiesta guys that 225/45R16's will indeed work! Might have to try and burn off my current tires a little faster.

majormojo

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 09:30:18 AM »
I've been flipping my RE-71's at about the point where the edges of the grooves on the outside have started to disappear. At that point the edges of the inside grooves are still fairly crisp and the center rib is noticeably worn asymmetrically. Right after the flip, it takes a few runs for them to come back to full traction but I don't notice any overall loss of grip until they are used up (down to wear bars or less).

There's no way I could get to where the tread is almost gone across the tire before I flip. The outside edge would be corded long before the tread is lost from middle to inside. I also run a staggered setup so I can't swap front to back to even out tire wear.
Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

Mkelder

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 01:28:45 PM »
RT615k is what I ran last year but at 40mm less width from my current setup so I couldn't do a direct comparision. They are a good tire but older compound at this point. I think they are 8-10 years old now and others have improved beyound the RT615k but they used to be the goto tire for sure. For the price of them I wouldn't buy them again.

Before the RE71R came along I think a lot of people went with the starspec or re11? Both get more life but at the cost of.grip.

Mkelder

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 05:03:58 PM »
Getting the re71r's flipped tomorrow, test and tune should set them striate for the competition, I'm sure tire shop will say they are toast and buy news ones  ::)

Going to let my old tires do travel duties one last time since my GF isn't coming and tires in the backseat has become a possibility again  8)

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 08:36:26 PM »
If the Falkens haven't changed in the last 8+ years, then avoid them.  I used them back when they were "the" tire, and they heat cycled almost instantly.  If you want a good and cheaper replacement, definitely go for the ZII or the RE-11.  Personally, I would pick the ZII, since they last well, don't heat cycle, and have a very good feel.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 12:19:18 AM »
I'd stay away from the Falkens. You're going to give up time with any tire other than the RE-71R or Rival S, but the Falkens are several generations old and will be *way* slower.

Going by memory, the fast tires from the past few generations, which each generation being noticeably faster than the previous one:

2015 - 2016: Bridgestone RE-71R, BFG Rival S
2014: 2013 tires + Hankook R-S3 v2
2013: BFG Rival, Hankook R-S3 v1, Dunlop ZII, Yokohama AD08R, Federal 595 RS-R
2012: Dunlop ZI SS, Hankook R-S3 v1

The Dunlop ZII SS isn't on the list because it was stranded between generations -- it wasn't legal until 2015, but it was slower than the Bridgestone and BFG tires that came out a few months later. It might be a good choice, though.

There's also some positive buzz about the new Maxxis VR-1, which is a bit slower than the current top tier tires but which is supposed to wear better.
Stephen Hui

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 10:24:30 AM »
There has also been some talk here and there about the new Kumho V710 street tire (special version of it on the new Viper ACR).  Think I remember reading somewhere that people were running competitive times with it.  A few years ago I ran the Kumho XS or whatever it was ... their ultimate street tire and when it was hot out (rarely here), it was actually quite competitive.  However when it was cold or wet it was horrible!  I remember getting changed from worn out Dunlops (Z1 then?) to the Kumhos and it was raining lightly that day.  Immediately leaving the shop, I noticed I had waaay less grip than with the worn out Dunlops!  But that was then and this is now.  The Kumhos might be another tire we might take a look at.....but not many people are running them.

zero10

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 02:05:53 PM »
I'm glad to see so much talk about tires right now.  My RS3s on the front of my focus are almost completely worn out.  At the last event I had to fill them to 50psi to avoid cording the shoulders which led to some ...interesting... performance characteristics.  I'm in the market for tires before the next event so this is all very useful :)
2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

nnywg

• My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 02:41:13 PM »
For what it's worth, I run Bridgestone RE760 Sports simply because they're cheap and last a long time.  I'm on summer #3 on the tires for my daily, and well in to season #2 of AutoX.  Loads of tire life left, though the rears are wearing faster for some reason  :P.  Sure I don't win, but I don't get last either.

Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
The OE tires for my car were the RE760's (I think, but maybe they are the RE050's)... they are an interesting tire with pretty good feel. I ran an event last year on them, and it was fun.... they love to drift!

I didn't realize the Rival S was a higher performing tire. I can get those in a wider format than the RE-71R as well, so maybe I might try that route. I am strongly considering running wide tires on the rear of my car and keeping my current tires on the front. The rear is where I keep losing traction.

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 05:59:13 PM »
Quick comments on the way out the door:

Reijo, several people have tried the new Kumho V720 street tire, and almost all of them have experienced tread delamination. The community's pretty much abandoned the tire as a result.

Nick, the Rival S (not to be confused with the regular Rival) will experience treadwear roughly as severe as the RE-71R's, so I don't think it's the solution to your problem. Also, by many accounts it doesn't like being "stuffed" onto a narrow rim.
Stephen Hui

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11455
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 46
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41