Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:58:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

108 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Red Deer event tomorrow? Anyone going?  (Read 9197 times)

Terry Johns

• :|
  • "It's the nut behind the wheel that's the problem"
    • View Profile
    • Solutions Life Coaching
Re: Red Deer event tomorrow? Anyone going?
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »
No it's not, that's why I joined to improve your game you gotta hang around people who are better.

Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction
Terry Johns #8. 2015 CS Miata
Car is reasonably competitive, shame about the driver

Tuna

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • KG not kg
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 06:54:44 PM »
No it's not, that's why I joined to improve your game you gotta hang around people who are better.

Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction
Tag along mate and I'll see if I can help you out.

NickST

• Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 07:38:23 PM »
Tag along mate and I'll see if I can help you out.
Hey I just noticed you pulled out a time in the 45's at the end of the day last weekend, nicely done! Really annoying... but well done!

Simple. Because many of the folks arnt interested in competing, just thrashing around a parking lot, guess why I joined the SASC ?

What I don't understand about AWS class is if they were interested in just competing against their friends they can do that in raw time. Likewise if all they care about is just going out and having a good time, then the times shouldn't matter anyway.

I am just having trouble understanding the reasoning behind the idea. Is it just a way of protesting the PAX system or something?

majormojo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 10:12:55 PM »

What I don't understand about AWS class is if they were interested in just competing against their friends they can do that in raw time. Likewise if all they care about is just going out and having a good time, then the times shouldn't matter anyway.

I am just having trouble understanding the reasoning behind the idea. Is it just a way of protesting the PAX system or something?
Classing those people together allows them to compare their own times, while also removing them from the other classes so their results don't skew the others. Also, it's a way to not even bother classing the car or building to a ruleset, etc. Run what ya brung. If anything, it's a way of ditching the formality of classing rules altogether. I'd hazard a guess many of the AWS people have never even looked at the SCCA rulebook.
Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

teamkickinassphalt

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 10:22:13 PM »

Classing those people together allows them to compare their own times, while also removing them from the other classes so their results don't skew the others. Also, it's a way to not even bother classing the car or building to a ruleset, etc. Run what ya brung. If anything, it's a way of ditching the formality of classing rules altogether. I'd hazard a guess many of the AWS people have never even looked at the SCCA rulebook.

That is exactly why they have that class, so they are not having to interrupt the people that are looking at their pax scores and because they are not wanting to be scrutinized. I wondered why I was put in that class when I first started and that is what I was told. I promptly found out what my car was classes at, which I misread and classed myself in SS when I was bone stick with stock 340treadwear tires.
James:
The Pylon Whisperer

Terry Johns

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 10:30:54 PM »
Having been part of the RDSCC club from Day 1, I can tel you that firstly the club has some wonderful people, helpful, friendly and a great laugh, however don't confuse the RDSCC with a club that is interested in serious competition, their into having fun and there's nothing wrong with that, its just different from most of the WCMA Clubs.

teamkickinassphalt

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 10:39:20 PM »
It is unfortunate that the venue is such a far drive. I would really like to keep using my race tires but I don't like having to trailer the car. Perhaps I can locate a little trailer and put a hitch on my car? Really enjoy racing with your club
James:
The Pylon Whisperer

Terry Johns

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2015, 05:40:17 AM »
A small trailer is what many of the guys use, Canadian Tire sell them, but a better way is a rack that fits in the hitch.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2015, 06:54:53 AM »
A small trailer is what many of the guys use, Canadian Tire sell them, but a better way is a rack that fits in the hitch.

I disagree (strongly).  I had a tire tail for the S2000 and it was a nasty thing on a small car.  It acted like a big sail and the front end had almost no weight on it at all.  Our trailer has been a much nicer experience.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Terry Johns

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2015, 07:06:35 AM »
If I remember correctly your rack was quite high. The ones I have seen have the additional tires only 12 inches of the ground, almost looks as if their hanging off the rear bumper.

However I've been wrong before  ;)

teamkickinassphalt

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2015, 07:39:11 AM »
Very interesting debate, I doubt I would have any issues with the front end being light having that V8 as a counter balance. I never even thought of a slide in rack, thanks Terry I am going to do some research on that.
James:
The Pylon Whisperer

NickST

• Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2015, 08:34:25 AM »
Having been part of the RDSCC club from Day 1, I can tel you that firstly the club has some wonderful people, helpful, friendly and a great laugh, however don't confuse the RDSCC with a club that is interested in serious competition, their into having fun and there's nothing wrong with that, its just different from most of the WCMA Clubs.

My question is not criticism of the club; I just was wondering why they have a classing that seemingly spoils your time in PAX for my own understanding. I generally see what you guys are saying is trying to be achieved.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2015, 08:44:51 AM »
In the LA area they had a class they called California Street Modified (CSM).  There was one rule:  It has to have a valid licence plate.

Some interesting vehicles (not too many) showed up for that class as you might imagine and I don't recall any of them showing up for the National Tours or Pros ...

majormojo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2015, 08:24:41 PM »
On the topic of hitch racks, this is quite clever. Not sure if it could fit 4 big race tires, but the idea of having a tail rack *and* a pit cart is pretty cool. Bet this could be hacked together pretty easily if you already have a garden cart.

Also, where there's a will, there's a way...

Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

majormojo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2015, 08:31:26 PM »
My question is not criticism of the club; I just was wondering why they have a classing that seemingly spoils your time in PAX for my own understanding. I generally see what you guys are saying is trying to be achieved.
My take is that it's not fundamentally different than the events run by various marque clubs over the years where they don't use any classing at all or sometimes don't even run timing. It provides a simple, fun entry into the sport and that's a good thing. Keeps the kids off the streets, etc.  8)
Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11460
  • Total Topics: 1572
  • Online Today: 120
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0