Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 04:57:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

69 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Split from: 2015-16 Winter Driver Training Schedule and Info  (Read 180 times)

Midnightsky

• :|
    • View Profile
Split from: 2015-16 Winter Driver Training Schedule and Info
« on: February 27, 2016, 10:05:47 PM »
last school cancelled now?
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Winter 2015-16 Winter Driver Training Schedule and Info
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 10:16:15 PM »
No.

R

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 10:42:50 PM »
No.

R

.......even tho a truck went thru on Saturday?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 11:15:10 PM »
That was Friday.  I was there and I saw it.  Shawn B. and I drove across the "crack" but not where the weak ice/hole was where he drove.  Near the middle there was no problem.  Case closed.

R

Stuart

• That cone is still in the box!
  • Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 09:26:35 AM »
What were the thicknesses like when you were out there Reijo.  I'm interested in knowing how that has changed through the winter.

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
Re: Winter 2015-16 Winter Driver Training Schedule and Info
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 09:35:29 AM »
I think it is fair to question cancelling the last school.

If parts of the ice are safe and others are not, can we be confident that students can identify a safe path for themselves when they are not under direct supervision?

Most of us haven't been out to the lake recently, but have seen the video of the truck being winched out.  Unlike previous years, when vehicles have gone through on the western side of the lake during our regular season, this one looks like it went through in an area we pass through regularly

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
Re: Split from: 2015-16 Winter Driver Training Schedule and Info
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 07:56:08 PM »
One advantage of the school vs ice dice is the ability to lead the entire class out in a more organized 'parade' onto the lake in the morning.  This makes it far easier to show the safe path around what I understand to be a fairly contained area of poor ice. 

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 08:22:56 PM »
When CSCC canceled the remaining ice dice events it seemed odd that the SASC was not on the same page as the CSCC in terms of their ice assessment.  I was just looking for some clarity on the issue and Reijo was quick to respond with his assessment. 

From an outside perspective I could see some people having an issue with CSCC and SASC being on different pages on the issue of safety.  One club believes it is safe while another has chosen to cancel their remaining events. We all want to have fun and be safe, I think it is important that both clubs stand together on these matters.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 09:28:19 PM »
OK ... have a bit of time ... finally.

The truck went in very close to shore ... bad place to be for one thing ... never go near the shore, up the river nor near the dam.  He made a mistake.

Also, Transalta had lowered the water levels which resulted in a "ridge" at the very point where he sunk his truck ... should have been obvious (which I noticed right away and stayed away from on the day before).  Of course the lowering of the water "bent" the ice which meant the ice was "broken" at the location where the land/point meets the usual "crack" that forms every year without fail. 

To really understand it, I think you had to be there to see it (the video and photo of the truck did not show it) and also have some experience with the ice over a number of years to understand it.  There was probably close to a dozen trucks on the west end of the lake before Shawn (we looked for another ramp - none).  We checked out the crack near the middle and there was no substantial crack or movement evident and we deemed it safe to cross ... which we did with no cracking sounds etc. and, obviously , without incidence.

So, in summary, the person with the truck simply went far too close to shore (inexperience imho) and through the biggest puddle that was there (that should have been another hint for him!   But, whatever ...). 

Like I said, there was no way I would have driven where he did.

Also, the fellow (whose brother I know), who put the Land Rover into the lake last spring, went far to the west and up the river ... and broke through, of course.  Never go where there is running water!  No matter what the temps have been etc., there will be thin ice there.

And, yes, we need to "herd" people on/off the ice to prevent incidents like this due to lack of knowledge ...

I'll run out some time this week to check the ice thickness ... have the auger in my trunk ready to go including a new axe file to sharpen it.  Today's cool morning was a promising sign and the rest of the week is not overly warm it looks like so I'm expecting we will be ok for the weekend.....ice thickness does not change much with this weather ... probably still about 18".

R

zero10

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 10:19:55 PM »
When CSCC canceled the remaining ice dice events it seemed odd that the SASC was not on the same page as the CSCC in terms of their ice assessment.  I was just looking for some clarity on the issue and Reijo was quick to respond with his assessment. 

From an outside perspective I could see some people having an issue with CSCC and SASC being on different pages on the issue of safety.  One club believes it is safe while another has chosen to cancel their remaining events. We all want to have fun and be safe, I think it is important that both clubs stand together on these matters.

I'm hesitant to speak for Chris G but I'm under the impression only event #3 has been cancelled at this point.
2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11459
  • Total Topics: 1572
  • Online Today: 89
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 69