Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:24:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

40 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: What Are Your Plans for Autocross in 2016?  (Read 10967 times)

Wayne Dyck

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • "If You Wait, All That Happens is You Get Older"
    • View Profile
What Are Your Plans for Autocross in 2016?
« on: December 21, 2015, 05:09:27 PM »
Somewhat work dependent, but I’m seriously thinking the following…

Apr 01-03    Qualcomm Match Tour
Apr 08-09      El Toro Pro Solo
Apr 22-24      Crows Landing Championship Tour
Apr 29-01      Crows Landing Pro Solo
May 21-22      Helena Montana Challenge Region 105
May 27-31      Lincoln Spring Nationals
Jun 11-12      Helena Montana Challenge Region 38
Jul 08-10      Packwood Championship Tour
Jul 16-17      Helena Montana Challenge Region 52 / alternately Packwood Pro Solo
Aug 13-14      Helena 30th Annual Top Gun
Sep 02-09      Lincoln Nationals & Pro Solo Finale
Sep 17-18      Helena Cone Heads

Gotta take advantage of the slowdown in drilling while I can   :)
#180 DS
"For the money, for the glory, for the fun... but mostly for the fun."

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: What Are Your Plans for Autocross in 2016?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 08:46:13 PM »
Somewhat work dependent, but I’m seriously thinking the following…

Apr 01-03    Qualcomm Match Tour
Apr 08-09      El Toro Pro Solo
Apr 22-24      Crows Landing Championship Tour
Apr 29-01      Crows Landing Pro Solo
May 21-22      Helena Montana Challenge Region 105
May 27-31      Lincoln Spring Nationals
Jun 11-12      Helena Montana Challenge Region 38
Jul 08-10      Packwood Championship Tour
Jul 16-17      Helena Montana Challenge Region 52 / alternately Packwood Pro Solo
Aug 13-14      Helena 30th Annual Top Gun
Sep 02-09      Lincoln Nationals & Pro Solo Finale
Sep 17-18      Helena Cone Heads

Gotta take advantage of the slowdown in drilling while I can   :)

My God, Wayne, that looks like an absolutely spectacular and fun season to come!   :)

R

majormojo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:47:50 PM »
Wayne, it looks like you need to buy a second home in Oregon. Center of all your activity.  :o

I'm thinking about one of either San Diego or Packwood (Tour + ProSolo) next year. SD would be nice in lieu of an actual winter vacation. I want to run the Knox Mtn Hillclimb again in 2016. As many local and Ft. Macleod events as I can fit in and some lapping days with ASA. Also planning at least one ChumpCar race, hopefully two, and some road racing with NASCC. I'm going for variety vs Wayne's pure quantity formula. ;)
Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

teamkickinassphalt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 09:00:30 AM »
Wayne, it looks like you need to buy a second home in Oregon. Center of all your activity.  :o

I'm thinking about one of either San Diego or Packwood (Tour + ProSolo) next year. SD would be nice in lieu of an actual winter vacation. I want to run the Knox Mtn Hillclimb again in 2016. As many local and Ft. Macleod events as I can fit in and some lapping days with ASA. Also planning at least one ChumpCar race, hopefully two, and some road racing with NASCC. I'm going for variety vs Wayne's pure quantity formula. ;)

Jim what does it take to get a license for the Knox Mtn Hillclimb? Would I be able to enter with my stock corvette or do I need to have a roll cage?
James:
The Pylon Whisperer

Terry Johns

• :|
  • "It's the nut behind the wheel that's the problem"
    • View Profile
    • Solutions Life Coaching
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 04:29:24 PM »
Hi James

On top of the licence, the car will need a cage, fire extinguisher, you will need a full suit, boots, helmet & gloves and BIG balls. The hill is amazing, I've run it three times in a Caterham, best time 1.55.97, anything under 2 minutes is quick.

Good luck.
Terry Johns #8. 2015 CS Miata
Car is reasonably competitive, shame about the driver

majormojo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 10:19:39 AM »
Terry pretty much nailed it. The license required is a Solo1 license, not a full race license. Depending on the class, not all cars require rollbars or cages, but in any case, a full cage is highly recommended. Drivers require a HANS-type device and 5-6 pt harness. My recommendation is for a car that would pass road-race specs. The course and the event is a lot of fun, but the nature of the road is that a little 'whoops' can go very badly very quickly (steep dropoffs, cement walls, big trees).
Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

teamkickinassphalt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 04:01:50 PM »
Terry pretty much nailed it. The license required is a Solo1 license, not a full race license. Depending on the class, not all cars require rollbars or cages, but in any case, a full cage is highly recommended. Drivers require a HANS-type device and 5-6 pt harness. My recommendation is for a car that would pass road-race specs. The course and the event is a lot of fun, but the nature of the road is that a little 'whoops' can go very badly very quickly (steep dropoffs, cement walls, big trees).

Thanks for the reply guys, how do I go about getting a license?
James:
The Pylon Whisperer

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 04:55:34 PM »
Unless you are going to do a number of events prior you likely will not be able to participate this year as you would begin with a Novice license and once you have shown that you are safe on track you can advance to a Senior license that Knox requires. (I think it is usually 3 events or so for WCMA)

WCMA license link: http://www.wcma.ca/new/racing/competition-licenses-event-permits/

NickST

• Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 09:41:23 PM »
Wow, that is ambitious Wayne!

My year is still pretty up in the air. I had planned on going out to BC for work, but looks like the housing market has trapped me here for now. Work has actually been picking up since about September so I will probably start making plans to go another season with SASC.

I'd like to go out to a Vancouver event at one point, and maybe this year I will attend a nationals event.

I also started up a new Youtube Channel. I want to try and do kind of a fun mini series around the sport this year to help promote it to people I know. Might be fun to do a little feature on a few members rides at each event.  In the past I've only ever done private videos, but they have always been pretty popular... so I might see how a public channel does. I've basically given up on privacy these days anyway, haha.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 12:54:00 AM »
Jo and I are planning on a cross Canada trip -- right out to PEI and back in our S2000.  We definitely plan on making it to the Canadian Nationals in Montreal, and as many autox events that we can fit into our schedule.  This trip has been a bucket list item for us -- hope we can have a lot of fun!

On the downside, we won't be making it to our usual haunts; Packwood, Vancouver, etc.  I still hope we can hit up a few SASC/CSCC events and some Montana events.  We will see once schedules are firmed up for the coming year.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 09:46:11 PM »
On the low ambition scale - hoping to come out to all the Fort McLeod events this year...and to not always be last.
1981 Volvo 242 GLT
1966 Volvo 122 (long term project)

nnywg

• My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 11:34:19 AM »
The YouTube thing sound cool Nick.  And Mr. Canuck that Volvo is awesome, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Not sure what I'm doing, have a project car that would be more suited to the task than my truck, but I cringe at the idea of painting it and then hitting a cone or two or more.  Not even sure it'd have the body work ready anyways.  I feel like I could wrap it myself for a year or two, but even the vinyl isn't cheap. 

Is the plan for another combined SASC/CSCC series this year?  The Westerner seems like a scheduling challenge again this year, with them asking us to combine with the Red Deer SCC events I believe.  Club is nice people but there is big difference in how the clubs run their events.  Chris is chasing a couple other options but I think he's got his work cut out for him.
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

James@SpecR

• WTB: Driving Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 11:44:26 AM »
My plan is to win but some dude in a white CSP Miata keeps beating me...

threeotwo

• 2020 Member
  • I have a Hoosier addiction...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 09:21:07 PM »
Not sure how much travelling I will do this year, will likely go to Packwood, hopefully Vancouver as well, maybe Lincoln in the fall.  The way our dollar is going is making it harder to go south...

I recall a few events where you have beaten me including the last event at Fort Macleod.
Cam
#192 AS Corvette

James@SpecR

• WTB: Driving Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 07:07:09 AM »
Not sure how much travelling I will do this year, will likely go to Packwood, hopefully Vancouver as well, maybe Lincoln in the fall.  The way our dollar is going is making it harder to go south...

I recall a few events where you have beaten me including the last event at Fort Macleod.

I know.  I was just poking fun  :P

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11456
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 49
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 40