Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:39:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

42 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: JDM Mini Class discussion  (Read 1556 times)

LilDrunkenSmurf

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
JDM Mini Class discussion
« on: October 06, 2016, 01:09:23 PM »
I've previously talked to members of other groups (CSCC, ASC) regarding classing of my JDM mini, as well as Rick with his mini, and it was my understanding that since there wasn't a "Canadian equivalent" sold here, it's put into SM as a catch all for JDM cars. I've been classing that way, but it's extremely frustrating when I'm not only dead last in RAW, but in PAX as well, when I'm in the same class as S15's and turbo swapped subaru's.

I was trolling through the SCCA rules, where the Austin Mini is classified as HS, and was specifically looking at the "Catch-all" rules. Based on what I'm seeing, I should be in the catch all "FSP" based on my mods (rather than SM or EP), which is a pax of 0.840 vs 0.870. I know since I'm not participating in the regional it doesn't even matter, but I don't like the idea of being called out on purposely mis-classing my car.

It seems like the modified Austin's end up in FSP regardless I'd be pushed out of STS based on my mods), and apparently JDM subaru's are also put into ASP rather than SM as well.

Really, I want to know if I enter my mini as FSP instead of SM, if anyone would be upset.

sti-tom

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
Re: JDM Mini Class discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 02:22:02 PM »
I am pretty sure that is correct for Canada now, It used to be the case where they got pushed to sm but not anymore. We have an Evo 5 in Edmonton that has been in ASP for a couple of years with no issues. He even ran at Nationals 2 years ago in Fort Macleod in that class.

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 04:57:12 PM »
Agreed. If your modifications to the car fall within the Street Prepared regulations, I think you run in FSP.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 07:04:04 PM »
FSP ... most JDM's were classified as SP and that seemed to make sense because whatever mods were done for the JDM cars could easily (for the most part) be surpassed by SP allowable mods.  I can imagine there might be some exceptions that would be pretty good if all allowable SP mods were done .... And that is why any car not available in the NA market would not be allowed to run at all at SCCA National level events ... although locals can whatever they like among themselves.\

Of course your Mini not being available here at all does present a problem in that if it is an overdog in some class, it would be hard for someone to get another one to compete with.  That is why a vehicle must have been produced in a factory in numbers of a minimum of 1000 for the North American market.  Otherwise it is ineligible to compete at all.

Harsh but for fairness it must be thus.

But, as I said, locally we can do what we like.  I am OK with FSP.   :)

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11457
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 49
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 42
Total: 42