Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 02:30:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

75 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Scores for August 26, 2017 (practise) and August 27, 2017 (championship)  (Read 2700 times)

Terry Johns

• :|
  • "It's the nut behind the wheel that's the problem"
    • View Profile
    • Solutions Life Coaching
Re: Scores for August 26, 2017 (practise) and August 27, 2017 (championship)
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 09:32:52 AM »
Thanks Murray.

James in the Catheram isn't what I'd call a big power car and just destroyed everyone in RAW time. Then again I don't know the power to weight ratio in that car.

The Caterham is a big power car due to its power to weight ratio, I still think its unfair to stick it in D Mod and one of the reasons is, all Caterhams are stuck in the same class, a 110hp Super Sprint is  never going to compete with a R500 or 620R. Sadly the racing community has had a problem with the Lotus 7/Caterham since it was banned by the FIA for competing in the British Sports Car Championshipback in the late 60s
Terry Johns #8. 2015 CS Miata
Car is reasonably competitive, shame about the driver

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 10:08:51 AM »
Thanks Murray.

James in the Catheram isn't what I'd call a big power car and just destroyed everyone in RAW time. Then again I don't know the power to weight ratio in that car.

The Caterham is a big power car due to its power to weight ratio, I still think its unfair to stick it in D Mod and one of the reasons is, all Caterhams are stuck in the same class, a 110hp Super Sprint is  never going to compete with a R500 or 620R. Sadly the racing community has had a problem with the Lotus 7/Caterham since it was banned by the FIA for competing in the British Sports Car Championshipback in the late 60s

Note that the D-Mod rules are somewhat restrictive wrt weight balance, engine displacement etc. so there has been some distinctions made.  Weight penalties are added to some etc.  And, of course, if the engine displacement is over 2.0 litre, then it goes to E-Mod or I suppose even B-Mod or A-Mod in some cases with other mods beyond what is allowed in D-Mod.    Check out rules under D-Mod to see what I mean ... it is not a simple case of all Caterhams or other 7-replicas being in there all together.

I attached the SCCA Appendix A rules (car classifications).

D-Mod rules are on page 208 ff ... only a couple of pages ... and the other mod class rules are adjacent to those pages in order by class.

Reijo

JamesTCallaghan

• That cone is still in the box!
  • If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 10:53:54 AM »
I did manage to get up to 7th in PAX on Sunday which is pretty reasonable for the Caterham.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 11:06:31 AM »
I did manage to get up to 7th in PAX on Sunday which is pretty reasonable for the Caterham.

Yes, for sure.  All the lights and road-going stuff could be deleted in the car to make it lighter and more competitive etc. ... and more engine mods.  A slippery slope.   hahaha

Reijo

JamesTCallaghan

• That cone is still in the box!
  • If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 11:32:48 AM »

Yes, for sure.  All the lights and road-going stuff could be deleted in the car to make it lighter and more competitive etc. ... and more engine mods.  A slippery slope.   hahaha

Reijo

I did discuss some of that with my dad yesterday and Sunday, unfortunately we can't delete the road going stuff as then we wouldn't be able to get it to events. I damaged the drivers rear fender again so I suggested removing them at events but it's a bit of a hassle and time consuming to do at each event. Possibility of adding ITBs to increase the area under the curve for Torque however it will make tuning even more finicky. Boost will likely make the car undriveable on street tires especially in the wet, and top end work will bring down the longevity of hen engine and likely will require rebuilds every few years which he doesn't want to get into either.

It certainly is a slippery slope, that's why my WRX is staying in street class.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11457
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 75
Total: 75