Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:39:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

15 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Replacement walkie-talkies  (Read 4177 times)

94boosted

• Administrator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement walkie-talkies
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 09:53:17 AM »
If you do get the Bofengs, this is the open source programmer to use;

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

I can help.

Brian

Can the Bofengs be programmed to be legal (1.0W max)? Or is that a hardware issue?

I rather like these (https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-LYSB00E4FO2TW-SPRTSEQIP-Dual-Band-Programming-Support/dp/B00E4FO2TW/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511835446&sr=1-8&keywords=baofeng+uv-5r) and other forums (thanks Stephen) seem to also like these
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 10:42:36 AM »
Another data point for the Baofeng radios. We use them for our chumpcar and team radios, lots of options available for in-car harnesses, helmet mikes, etc. ASA went to using them a couple seasons ago - the distances at Castrol necessitated better radios than they were using previously. I programmed them for the FRS/GMRS frequencies only. My recollection is that I bought a pack of 10 for ~$240 from a vendor on Amazon. They can be locked down to the legally required transmission power limits using CHIRP or the low/high power mode can be toggled using the keypad.

Oh, and having a couple headsets available for them is nice too. Especially useful if timing/scoring is near the start line and the noise interferes with the ability to hear calls on the radios. Wearing headphones also serves as a useful "don't bug me now" indicator for someone running timing. :)

And, of course, you are using them just north of the Edmonton International Airport so I am assuming you have not had any complains etc.?

R

SKI-R

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 08:33:25 PM »
It looks like the units Tom linked in his last post are 4/1W based on the expanded specifications.  I'm not certain they can be 'locked' or programmed to only work at 1W, but they do have that as a transmitting option.....someone with knowledge of what CHIRP can actually do will need to answer.

See this for expanded specs:

‘09 128i = #28 STX

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0