Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:20:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

70 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Tire Gauges?  (Read 5987 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Gauges?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 11:41:56 PM »
Don't you guys just chalk the corners of your tires and crank up the pressure until they either stop rolling over or explode?  Tire pressure gauges are overrated ;)

Oh who am I kidding, they never stop rolling over.

That is an initial indication that you are in the ball park and then you fine tune from there ... feel, ultimate grip ... for each day, conditions, different tires, different temps, ... never mind different surfaces/locations.  Then check the tire pressure, log it/memorize it and use the tire pressure gauge in the future.  Also account for the difference in pressure rise in setting pressures (start a bit low for 1st and even 2nd runs so you are not grossly over-inflated by the end of the run) ... and that can vary with conditions.  On a cold, wet day, you may not get much pressure rise with runs.   Gee, lots to it, eh?   :)

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 12:47:21 PM »
Your mileage may vary, but I hated my Longacre digital gauge because of the need to turn it on before taking pressures, and the fact that it would turn itself off before I was done doing all of my checks.

Then again, I bought a pretty cheap gauge -- if they have a pricier digital gauge, maybe it's better.
Stephen Hui

Stuart

• That cone is still in the box!
  • Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 01:05:55 PM »
Your mileage may vary, but I hated my Longacre digital gauge because of the need to turn it on before taking pressures, and the fact that it would turn itself off before I was done doing all of my checks.

Then again, I bought a pretty cheap gauge -- if they have a pricier digital gauge, maybe it's better.

I have the same complaint about mine, but it has been reliable other than that.  Picked mine up at the 2011 SCCA nationals from the SPS tent (another good reason to go there, plus they often have a calibration rig on site)

Canuck

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 06:04:51 PM »
The gauge that I bought has four auto-off settings.  30/60/90/180 seconds.  Plenty for getting around the car. 
1981 Volvo 242 GLT
1966 Volvo 122 (long term project)

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 08:34:12 AM »
Ive been very happy with my Blue point analog gauge, I would NEVER trust a digital gauge.   I think I paid $50 approx and overall its been amazing.
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

NickST

• Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 02:25:22 PM »
So I ordered a Joe's Racing gauge which came highly recommended to me by some of the guys in the US that I put this same question to.

I did look into the Longacre one, but it was a little more than I can spend right now, my tools & equipment budget this year is already stretched paper thin. I think I will plan for one next year though.

I paid a bit extra for the quick shipping so I could try it out this weekend, and looking at the package tracking it is set to arrive.... uh, Monday? *sigh*

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 04:20:59 PM »
So I ordered a Joe's Racing gauge which came highly recommended to me by some of the guys in the US that I put this same question to.

I did look into the Longacre one, but it was a little more than I can spend right now, my tools & equipment budget this year is already stretched paper thin. I think I will plan for one next year though.

I paid a bit extra for the quick shipping so I could try it out this weekend, and looking at the package tracking it is set to arrive.... uh, Monday? *sigh*

You can borrow mine ... just have to remember to bring it ...

R

NickST

• Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 11:00:46 PM »
Thanks, I guess for this weekend I mostly just want to see if my gauge is reading wacky

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 11:48:40 PM »
May not make it this weekend.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11457