Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 04:50:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

59 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Nicks Media Thread  (Read 9617 times)

NickST

• :|
  • Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
Re: Nicks Media Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 09:24:37 PM »
I put together sort of a big mish-mash of videos from this weekend for you guys... enjoy!

https://youtu.be/LtcGpJr1jAg

Terry Johns

• "It's the nut behind the wheel that's the problem"
    • View Profile
    • Solutions Life Coaching
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 06:27:30 AM »
Great job Nick  :)
Terry Johns #8. 2015 CS Miata
Car is reasonably competitive, shame about the driver

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 08:35:06 PM »
Video for Dan's run:

https://youtu.be/3AZVUP5JQUQ

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 07:55:13 PM »
Didn't grab a lot of footage this weekend, but this view from under the rear of the car was pretty neat. I apparently only drive with 3 wheels, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2PYRT7rG9c

zero10

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 07:02:41 AM »
I'll edit and remove this if you want, but I think you need to know - there was daylight under both wheels on one side of your car:

http://i.imgur.com/GTqjl1X.jpg

It's kind of hard to get single frames from a youtube video but there was a frame just one away that I couldn't seem to get it to stop on where I think it was more obvious.

That aside, nice video and I can't believe how decent the exposure is for being under your car.  I am also a frequent tripod-er (wait.. I have a feeling that has another meaning) and I was considering doing almost exactly this angle for a video but couldn't reliably get my camera mounted under there.  I was also thinking of doing the opposite, under the front looking back, trying to get the engine and exhaust and everything moving about but also some of the front suspension in frame.
2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile

Tom M

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
  • I'm New Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 07:20:06 AM »
the struts camber curve make it look like it's off the ground

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 07:38:58 AM »
I'll edit and remove this if you want, but I think you need to know - there was daylight under both wheels on one side of your car:

It's kind of hard to get single frames from a youtube video but there was a frame just one away that I couldn't seem to get it to stop on where I think it was more obvious.

That aside, nice video and I can't believe how decent the exposure is for being under your car.  I am also a frequent tripod-er (wait.. I have a feeling that has another meaning) and I was considering doing almost exactly this angle for a video but couldn't reliably get my camera mounted under there.  I was also thinking of doing the opposite, under the front looking back, trying to get the engine and exhaust and everything moving about but also some of the front suspension in frame.

You are more than welcome to use my mounting gear if you want to do it

In that shot the inside of the front tire is still in contact with the ground, my car has -1 degree of camber stock so that doesn't surprise me that it does that. Although on the first run set I was getting some scary front wheel hop over that pot hole, but after the course change in the afternoon it was better. One thing I found interesting was how much the sloping grade of Westerner works the suspension.

I had a 2 wheel experience in fort MacLeod last year. I was late on a slalom and got into a tank slapper. As soon as I felt it go up I gave up the run turned into it to bring it back down.

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 09:44:41 AM »

Try RowVid: http://rowvid.com/?v=H2PYRT7rG9c.

A well known American autocrosser got his Fiesta *way* up on two wheels two years ago and promptly sold the car:

Stephen Hui

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 10:27:52 AM »
I was following that incident with great interest. There was a roll over in Texas with a Fiesta ST, although from what I could dig up it was a novice on his first time out.

There have been roll overs for other cars (including the Mini) though, My own thoughts are that the RE-71R's are just too sticky for the street class. I wouldn't be all that upset if they changed the tread wear rating to 400 for street classes and just gave a better pax number instead.

Terry Johns

• "It's the nut behind the wheel that's the problem"
    • View Profile
    • Solutions Life Coaching
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 11:34:02 AM »
Um, maybe there just to sticky for the Fiesta with its hight stance
Terry Johns #8. 2015 CS Miata
Car is reasonably competitive, shame about the driver

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 11:48:11 AM »
Um, maybe there just to sticky for the Fiesta with its hight stance
Nahhh...   :)

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 12:07:58 PM »
Imagine back when Stock ran on Hoosiers... :o

The Fiesta is an interesting case. The non-ST Fiestas are actually banned due to rollover risk. I don't know the details of why the non-ST cars were banned while the ST ones weren't, but I've got to imagine that the ST is just over the SCCA's line of acceptability.
Stephen Hui

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 12:14:50 PM »
The occurrences have still been relatively few ... heck BMW's have been known to roll in autox.  So there is some risk however there are certain off-camber corners etc. that should be avoided in course design to help prevent such occurrences....plus other design "tricks" ... but these can occur.

R

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 12:16:15 PM »
My understanding is that the non-ST versions are right at the limit, and if you were to run 6mm spacers on each side for the wheels it would technically even meet the criteria for roll over risk and still be in stock class.

The ST versions are lowered a full inch compared to the non-ST which is why they got in. There is a similar story with the Fiat 500 and Abarth version.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11459
  • Total Topics: 1572
  • Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 59
Total: 59