Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 09:50:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

77 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Final countdown  (Read 6895 times)

Mkelder

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Final countdown
« on: April 17, 2016, 10:22:50 PM »
Anyone else feeling ready for an exciting season? This weekend I "think" I turned the final wrench on the car and my final preparations are underway (all important wheel alignment happening this week). I'm hoping the practice day is enough for me to get used to the new setup!

Anyone else changed their setup this year or even a new vehicle to lay down rubber? I'm coming with a more complete setup and bigger tires this year but still technically under prepared for my class again :(

Joe-G

• DNF
    • View Profile
Re: Final countdown
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 12:03:19 AM »
I too am under prepared for my class, driver included :P ...

New tires this year, will be on NT01. Probably not that great for autocross, but should do me well for my lapping events. Will need to get used to them, and figure out tire pressures  ???

MattH

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 12:07:41 AM »
I think the underprepared feeling will just stick with me all season! I'm off to a great start, I was working away trying to go a couple last things and I noticed that my air intake filter actually FELL OFF while driving sometime in the last couple weeks here since I cleaned it!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully I didn't get too much grime in the engine...
-Matt H
That crazy guy who thinks racing a 2003 Convertible Mustang GT is a good idea.

Terry Johns

• :|
  • "It's the nut behind the wheel that's the problem"
    • View Profile
    • Solutions Life Coaching
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 06:48:01 AM »
The conventional wisdom for the MX5 in CS is big front sway bar, adjustable shocks and as much camber you can get. That's what I ran last year, but the car still pushed. I spoke to several people in the USA and and have decided to go in a different direction, stock front bar, large rear bar, I'm much more comfortable having the car oversteer. Saturday the truth will be known.  :-\
Terry Johns #8. 2015 CS Miata
Car is reasonably competitive, shame about the driver

nnywg

• My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 08:57:05 AM »
I'm weirdly 'meh' about this season, but maybe that's mostly due to not having the other car ready yet.  Doubt I'm going to get anything more out of the truck, and the PAX for ESP is slightly worse than last year.  Kinda just watching the weather to see if I'll come this Sunday or not.

Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 09:25:25 AM »
I've continued my tinkering and engineering this winter.  Lots of other projects taking up time, but the Volvo did get new adjustable coil overs, custom valved shocks/struts from Bilstein, roll corrector spacers, faster steering, new tires, revised sway bar in the rear and a few other little things like a complete tune and revision of the EFI. 

That said, the front springs I have do cause the spring perches to rub on my tires, so the shorter springs are now being delivered (tomorrow) and I have to take a day off work to get it banged in before Saturday.

So, I'm now looking to move off the bottom of the timing stream or at least be closer to the next slowest.  The car won't be the problem. ;)
1981 Volvo 242 GLT
1966 Volvo 122 (long term project)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 11:17:05 AM »
Yep!   

Working on the on-going project this week and getting it into running condition for the weekend ... and looking forward to running!

majormojo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 01:42:57 PM »
No major changes for the Cayman this year (stock class, duh) - new adjustable front ARB and a new catback exhaust. Ordered a pair of the new 285/35-18 RE-71R's for the rears but they are back ordered till at least the end of the month. I won't make it for this weekend, but will be down to Ft Macleod for the 14-15 of May and the SoloPro weekend for sure.
Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

Mkelder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 04:07:14 PM »
Turns out I lied. I remembered there is sound DBA testing available so decided to order a new cat back this morning so here hopes it comes in fast enough! Pretty easy install.

94boosted

• Administrator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 02:50:23 PM »
Changed up brake pads again, a proper wheel & tire setup, more aggressive alignment and corner balance plus a bunch of maintenance. I think I'm ready, just keeping fingers crossed that the forecast improves.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

PaulT

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 10:50:49 PM »
Haha, not enough to just change out the failed speed sensor which contributed to making 4 Michelin SS almost square, I am getting a more aggressive alignment on Friday and will run this weekend with OEM Dunlop's. I to have some new Nitto NT01 to try out later on. As they say the car is only 10% and the nut behind the wheel is where all changes need to happen.
PaulT #202

Tuna

• 2020 Member
  • KG not kg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 06:54:08 AM »
Still trying to get an employee discount on a 2016 WRX.

Terry Johns

• "It's the nut behind the wheel that's the problem"
    • View Profile
    • Solutions Life Coaching
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 07:07:13 AM »
Employee  ;)
Terry Johns #8. 2015 CS Miata
Car is reasonably competitive, shame about the driver

Mkelder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 09:27:02 AM »
I just looked up the weather for fort MacLeod. Looks to be the same all around too so I don't think it will change. Looks pretty favourable conditions for some....

NickST

• Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 01:58:58 PM »
a little rain seems to speed me up... so I am cool with it   8)

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11459
  • Total Topics: 1572
  • Online Today: 93
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 77
Total: 77