Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 08:33:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

34 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Spreadsheet for daily runs calculations  (Read 1989 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Spreadsheet for daily runs calculations
« on: September 20, 2016, 06:36:37 PM »
Made up a spreadsheet today mainly for the YYC3 event but it can be used for others.

1.  Excel format.
2.  Basic assumptions made.
3.  You can download (see below) and try different scenarios if you wish.

Questions?

Basically, the faster we send cars out, the quicker we can run events.  SCCA National staff know this and that is why they are very, very strict with sending out cars at the SCCA Nats at 20 seconds or less apart ... but NEVER more than 20 seconds apart since they will not finish by 5 pm otherwise.  They run approx. 300 cars x 3 runs or 900 runs plus re-runs in 5 heats of about 60 cars each between 8 am and 5 pm..... no lunch breaks etc.   So, 900 runs (approx) in 9 hours ... 100 runs per hour.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Spreadsheet for daily runs calculations
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 06:50:33 PM »
I think your spreadsheet is a bit off.  It shows 2 sets of runs, but only accounts for one change over per heat.

VCMC club manages about 800 runs in a day, but heats don't get to run twice in the day.  The 130 drivers get their 6 runs and work and that's it for the day.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 07:04:44 PM »
Oh, yes, you are right!   It has change-overs only for 1/2 the day ... need 3 more of 15min. each (estimated).

I'll change that and re-load.

R

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 07:58:10 PM »
Rev. 2 of the spreadsheet is loaded .... 23 seconds apart or less is desirable.   :)

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 08:48:02 PM »
Rev. 2 of the spreadsheet is loaded .... 23 seconds apart or less is desirable.   :)

We all have to be very, very good to make that time.  I hope we have a lot of athletic cone chasers (i.e. not me), very good grid marshal(s), and a very alert starter.  And hope for no timing issues; I am glad that there aren't many trees in the area to trip the beams.
2017 Miata (C Street)

BrianHemming

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 11:17:03 PM »
VCMC club manages about 800 runs in a day, but heats don't get to run twice in the day.  The 130 drivers get their 6 runs and work and that's it for the day.

Close....but not quite  :P

I can provide some insight on the Pitt Meadows events.  Seems quite comparable to where you guys are at.

VCMC caps their events at 140, but are usually in the 100-120 range.
UBC caps their events at 80 + the organizers.  They usually sell out quickly and are in the 90 driver range.

All the clubs (assuming 80+ drivers) have 3 run groups, no lunch break, and have 5 or 6 work stations with 2-4 workers per station.  It's common practice to do 3 runs for all 3 groups in the morning.  Then they evaluate the time taken and adjust the afternoon runs accordingly.  With 90 people we usually get 4 or 5 runs in the afternoon and 120 people will get us 3 afternoon runs.  Typically running from 9:30 am until roughly 4:30 pm.  If we're closer to 80 drivers that means that some people - timing, chief of workers, grid, etc - might work more than one heat.

Course overlap allows for barely 3 cars on course - really only 2.  Meaning the 3rd car is released as the 1st car finishes (with the 2nd car mid-course).

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 04:12:13 AM »
Thanks Brian.  I like the idea of 3 runs in the morning, and then using that data to determine the number of runs in the afternoon.  It's nice to say that we must send cars out every 20-ish seconds, but it may not happen for a variety of reasons.  This way, we can adjust the afternoon run count to match reality.
2017 Miata (C Street)

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11455
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 46
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1