Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:35:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

39 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Looking for a garage ... and insurance?  (Read 1884 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Looking for a garage ... and insurance?
« on: October 05, 2016, 09:07:24 PM »
I recently signed a contract to rent a garage but due to a stipulation that I carry tenant/contents insurance, I cannot rent it because the insurance companies won't insure it ... Reasons given:  Owner does not live in the house, no one renting it now; don't know who will be renting it.  This is a stand-alone garage in the Kensington NW area ... at the back of a bungalow - nothing special.

They also mentioned that if the garage burned down and if the house burned down as a consequence that they would not cover the loss.

So, basically, I cannot rent the garage.

Anyone heard of this before?

Anyone know of a garage to rent?

Reijo

zero10

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a garage ... and insurance?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 08:18:29 AM »
Is this just for storing a car in?  My wife's family has a couple rental properties and I think one of their garages might be empty.  It's in the Mount Pleasant / Tuxedo area.  I'll check with her.
2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 08:25:48 AM »
Mainly for storage but I also want to change my clutch and a wheel bearing .... so some relatively minimal work over the course of the year.  I don't work on vehicles there all the time ... don't really care to actually.....nor is it worthwhile for me other than I like to see under the car every now and then to check out "stuff" and ensure everything is a-OK.

I have left the last couple of garages cleaner than when I moved in ... in case you are wondering.

Thanks!

R

majormojo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 09:48:02 AM »
Have you checked with your auto insurer? I have auto policies that cover potential damage to a facility where I store some vehicles. That has been sufficient for the property owner, perhaps you can provide something similar. I don't think the typical tenant/content insurance is the right product for this.
Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 10:25:45 AM »
Have you checked with your auto insurer? I have auto policies that cover potential damage to a facility where I store some vehicles. That has been sufficient for the property owner, perhaps you can provide something similar. I don't think the typical tenant/content insurance is the right product for this.

Yes, in fact I checked with them first since I have both vehicles and my home insurance there also.  They said no ...  Surprising.  He also checked with a few other companies and they all said no.

Something strange about the whole situation.  In other words if you wanted to rent out the garage of your rental property and have it insured, you cannot do that.  If the owner lived there, that would be ok or if I lived there it would be ok.  That seems to be the sticking point......not secure enough or they see it as too high a risk.

Reijo

zero10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 10:27:23 AM »
I have great faith that you would be an excellent tenant - I was just making sure we could provide a facility that would suit your needs.  The garage I was thinking of is a single-car garage in Mount Pleasant.  Access wouldn't be a problem and it does have power but I am not sure if it would be big enough?  I asked my wife to check with her parents to see if it is available, and if it is I'll send you the address so you can street view it or drive by or something to figure out if it would work for you.  I know the tenants in the house right now don't drive or own a car but the garage might be currently used for storage.
2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 10:49:52 AM »
OK, thanks Chris!  Willing to take a look for sure.  You can PM or email me info.

Reijo

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11455
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 44
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 39