Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 07:14:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

82 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: What Class - Confused  (Read 2912 times)

Canuck

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
What Class - Confused
« on: April 27, 2015, 08:40:14 AM »
Hello All,  I've been reading the SCCA rule book and I'm just unsure of what category I would fall into with my Volvo 242.  There are a few quirks about the car and I wasn't planning of doing solo with it when I was building the car (things happen). 

The good:  Stock body, no mods.  No stock interior, but it's all bolted in properly (I'm an old guy with a beard driving a Volvo...go figure). 

The history:  In 1981, Volvo introduced the 240 Turbo to the US market but Canada didn't get that car until 1982...we got the Euro Spec car with the 2.3 L high compression engine. So the rule book says I've got a turbo car...and if I was in the USA that would be true.

The Mods:  So I've swapped an engine into the car, but it's a different internal design (more modern, lower friction) but externally they look identical and it's the same displacement as the original.   It's a turbo charged engine running stock EFI (well, stock for a 1994 940) - It's got a slightly larger than stock turbo and I went and ceramic coated that along with ceramic coated exhaust manifold - but it all bolts up.  I'm running an incorrect IC, but it's a Volvo unit and it's sitting in the stock mounts...I'm sure no one cares.  I'm even using the stock 240 Turbo air box...bolts right up. 

The ceramic coating puts me out of Street Touring and into Street Modified?

It's running a strut bar (from the factory it had some tower bracing, it's just got a cross brace - no one cares).  Slightly shorter springs all the way around.  Bilstein struts and Koni's in the rear (I'm sure that's fine).  Larger sway bars.  Wilwood racing brakes, rotors and hats - all four corners.

It will be getting a stock LSD unit of Volvo manufacture that was an original option on the car - this is a unicorn piece that I finally found. 

Oh, and I'm running a Borg-Warner T5 transmission (approximately the same gear ratios). 

What kind of mess am I in for just sticking a few letters beside my number to have some local fun.  I'm not looking to go and compete nation wide or anything foolish.

Help.
1981 Volvo 242 GLT
1966 Volvo 122 (long term project)

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
Re: What Class - Confused
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 09:19:51 AM »
Without an the interior you will end up in one of the Modified or Prepared classes, no more Street related ones.  I will have to dig into this a bit, but I will need a some more info (and maybe more questions to follow)  Is the engine still badged as a Volvo?

The transmission seems to drop it into one of the Modified classes, which may necessitate further safety upgrades.  As always, if I'm wrong I would appreciate someone correcting me as Modified is not a class I have reviewed too deeply.

NickST

• :|
  • Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 11:41:56 AM »
I think it should be classed as "Awesome" personally  ;)

Such a cool car!

I snapped a photo of it at the event for you btw:

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 02:01:29 PM »
Thanks Nick...probably one of the best shots of the car that I've got!  I took two pics of random cars all day.

The car has a full interior...it's just that the front seats are from a BMW.  The trans runs virtually the same gear ratios, but I can actually buy parts like syncros for the thing.  My old Volvo trans was like shifting a bucket of wrenches - syncros shot, weak overdrive nonsense. 

The engine...only a true Volvo ninja would be able to spot what I've done.  It's a Volvo engine alright - with big VOLVO text everywhere.  It looks like this.

Sits on the factory mounts and aside from H-beam rods and larger exhaust valves, is essentially stock (I mean, I added oil cooling squirters...but surely no one cares about these internal mods...right).

The transmission is properly installed on a modified factory mount with an upgraded drive shaft which is enclosed in a tunnel (well the front half of the shaft) - this is a Volvo...we don't run drive line loops because it's safer to just create a literal drive shaft tunnel.   :)
1981 Volvo 242 GLT

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 02:38:28 PM »
I see, I misunderstood about the interior, I will have to dig and see which class would allow the trans swap...

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 11:02:34 AM »
Street Modified fits the bill. I can't be in Street Prepared as my turbo is ceramic coated/ported and the trans swap isn't allowed.  Street Modified seems to be open on all categories that I need. 

There will be a new last place for SM this year!
1981 Volvo 242 GLT

LilDrunkenSmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
Street Modified fits the bill. I can't be in Street Prepared as my turbo is ceramic coated/ported and the trans swap isn't allowed.  Street Modified seems to be open on all categories that I need. 

There will be a new last place for SM this year!

Doubt it. You're classed against my Mini.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11459
  • Total Topics: 1572
  • Online Today: 93
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 82
Total: 82