Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:12:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

72 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Tire Choices 2017  (Read 5030 times)

Midnightsky

• :|
    • View Profile
Tire Choices 2017
« on: February 03, 2017, 06:04:18 PM »
I thought I would start up a tire choices thread for the upcoming 2017 season.  What's new and upcoming from various tire manufacturers, what were great tire choices from the past 2016 season, and what is in the works for later in the summer.  Im going to be putting down on a set of good street tires this summer with the hope of coming out to one or two YYC events.  So what has everyone heard? What's going to be "the tire" for the 2017 season? Street or R-comp share what you know and lets all have a wicked season in 2017.
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Choices 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 07:37:27 PM »
I have a set of RE-71Rs on order; the only possible contender for this year is the new Rival S "1.5"; same rubber I believe, but different carcass build.

I may try a set of Rivals when they become available, since 2 drivers are an issue with overheating the Bridgestones.

I haven't heard of any other 200TW tire that is going to do anything to push these pair off the podium.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 12:24:51 AM »
Now i guess its worth asking, but do you believe the RE-71R's to be an Alberta streetable tire or best kept as an autocross/track use tire?

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 07:21:55 AM »
What do you mean by streetable?

Last summer, we drove across Canada on a pair of RE-71Rs, and autocrossed as we went.  On an S2000, they are good for about 10000 KM of driving and 100 autocross runs.  They handle rain very well (when they still have tread left), and are hopeless on snow or ice.

2017 Miata (C Street)

JamesTCallaghan

• That cone is still in the box!
  • If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 08:47:04 AM »
I'm planning on going with RE-71R for auto x this year, but I likely will swap them at events and not street drive them. I may try some Zestino tires out for lapping at Castrol if I can get my hands on the size I need. And OEM Bridgestone Potenza whatever garbage comes with the car will have to do for street driving, as I'm not going to just discard some brand new tires.

nnywg

• My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »
I've been really happy with RE760 sports; they last but are sticky enough for aggressive street use, and a big ol' water channel to keep them planted when we get those crazy summer rain/hail storms.  They're also pretty cheap, especially if you've got big tires as I do.  But if autoX numbers are your number one, then they aren't for you.

Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 11:22:49 AM »
What do you mean by streetable?

Last summer, we drove across Canada on a pair of RE-71Rs, and autocrossed as we went.  On an S2000, they are good for about 10000 KM of driving and 100 autocross runs.  They handle rain very well (when they still have tread left), and are hopeless on snow or ice.

O wow, ok I will definitely be trying either these or the RE760's this summer.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »
I just noticed that you were planning on only a few autocross events this year.  If so, then I think you could find something more suitable than the RE-71R.  They do wear out quickly, and they aren't exactly quiet (or soft) on the street.  You might prefer the RE760 or the Continental DW.

2017 Miata (C Street)

JamesTCallaghan

• If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »
I just noticed that you were planning on only a few autocross events this year.  If so, then I think you could find something more suitable than the RE-71R.  They do wear out quickly, and they aren't exactly quiet (or soft) on the street.  You might prefer the RE760 or the Continental DW.

I really like the DW for a non competition tire.

Apex Carver

• Global Moderator
  • I Drive Like I'm New Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 01:08:02 PM »
Still holding out to see what the RS-4 brings and also keeping an eye on the Nexen Sura4G as they've done a bunch of testing with Heitkotter and Isley... seems like they put a bunch of work into this tire and it will be interesting to see what comes out of it.
Chris S. #86

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »
I really like the DW for a non competition tire.

It is also my favourite.  Noticeable increase in fuel economy, totally silent, and handles even a total flood on the road.

At autocross, it squeals like a wounded pig and isn't all that fast.
2017 Miata (C Street)

zero10

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 10:08:30 PM »

I also have RE-71Rs and drive them to/from Red Deer for events.  I'll echo this - they are not quiet or soft on the street. at. all.  I don't really like how quickly they seem to be wearing, they seem to wear off in chunks and quite a lot at a time.  Other tires have generally been smooth at the end of an overly aggressive run, the RE-71Rs seem to be grinding off big chunks and are all pebbled and uneven.  Maybe it's just my driving style but I feel like they are wearing out at an alarming rate compared to what I would expect on Rivals or RS3s.

Still holding out to see what the RS-4 brings and also keeping an eye on the Nexen Sura4G as they've done a bunch of testing with Heitkotter and Isley... seems like they put a bunch of work into this tire and it will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

There are RS4s coming?... I always liked my RS3s - I kept going back to them even when I was getting old stock just because I enjoyed them so much.  I hope the RS4 is more of the same but better!
2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

Apex Carver

• Global Moderator
  • I Drive Like I'm New Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 12:32:08 AM »

There are RS4s coming?... I always liked my RS3s - I kept going back to them even when I was getting old stock just because I enjoyed them so much.  I hope the RS4 is more of the same but better!
[/quote]

Yep already on Tire Rack. Just want to see how they perform with some of the early events in mid to late march.
Chris S. #86

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 11:39:14 AM »
I priced out the RE760 sport with Costco and its just over $500 with a refund of $15 per tire for not having them install them.   SOLD SOLD SOLD lol.   Now for those of you who have ordered from Costco, do you have to be a member to get that pricing?

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »
I priced out the RE760 sport with Costco and its just over $500 with a refund of $15 per tire for not having them install them.   SOLD SOLD SOLD lol.   Now for those of you who have ordered from Costco, do you have to be a member to get that pricing?

I believe you need to be a member to purchase from Costco.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11457
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 90
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72