Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 04:11:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

36 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Is SASC for me? New Member  (Read 1133 times)

MiketheSpike

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
Is SASC for me? New Member
« on: October 04, 2022, 02:00:26 PM »
Hey folks. I'm getting older and I've realized that I don't wanna die before I get a chance to learn how to properly drive and drift a corner or two. But I'm not interested in roll cages, extensive car mods, trailing my vehicle, travelling hours away (I'm in Calgary), and potentially crashing into other cars. I am gearing up to purchase a suitable vehicle such as a GR86 and am wondering if this is the place and if these are the events for folks in Calgary who just want to test themselves against a clock and better their driving skills. Solocross seems like the best fit, but I'm a complete newbie and ran across this forum accidentally. Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

Dallin_M3

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Is SASC for me? New Member
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 05:52:36 PM »
Hey Mike, this is indeed the group for you! Autocross is by far the best option for a relatively low cost of entry into racing, not to mention probably the safest. Almost any car can compete, the GR86 being a very good option. We run our events in Airdrie and Fort Macleod, and most of our members live in Calgary.

We just wrapped up our season for the year, but we look forward to meeting you next year. We usually start in late April or early May. The season schedule for next year will be posted on this forum likely sometime in March next year.

Any questions please let us know!
-Dallin

MiketheSpike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 09:03:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear. If I don't have the car in time next spring I'll come out and watch the shenanigans to get a sense of what it is all about. Excited about this and I'm not sure why I didn't know of it until now! I grew up (a long time ago) doing Friday night drag racing at Race City, and when that went away I assumed there was nothing for Calgarians any more (and the new RMM is a level above my means haha, at least from what I can tell).

Midnightsky

• :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 10:56:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear. If I don't have the car in time next spring I'll come out and watch the shenanigans to get a sense of what it is all about. Excited about this and I'm not sure why I didn't know of it until now! I grew up (a long time ago) doing Friday night drag racing at Race City, and when that went away I assumed there was nothing for Calgarians any more (and the new RMM is a level above my means haha, at least from what I can tell).

There is Strawberry Raceway near Edmonton, They have a year end wrap up event Saturday Oct 8th, I believe entry was $250? Also, Rad Torque Raceway(Formerly Castrol) by the Edmonton International Airport.  RMM can be affordable and does offer beginners classes.  Oct 15th there is an event that allows beginners, $500 for a partial day, but the instruction is extremely valuable.  Autocross is where I started with previous FWD cars, super low maintenance, causal and fun environment.  I picked up a 2022 BRZ back in January and did 3 autocross events with it already.  Very stable car, great feedback, tons of fun to dodge cones with.

This website is a great resource to finding local and abroad racing in North America.  https://www.motorsportreg.com/
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

MiketheSpike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 03:42:50 PM »

There is Strawberry Raceway near Edmonton, They have a year end wrap up event Saturday Oct 8th, I believe entry was $250? Also, Rad Torque Raceway(Formerly Castrol) by the Edmonton International Airport.  RMM can be affordable and does offer beginners classes.  Oct 15th there is an event that allows beginners, $500 for a partial day, but the instruction is extremely valuable.  Autocross is where I started with previous FWD cars, super low maintenance, causal and fun environment.  I picked up a 2022 BRZ back in January and did 3 autocross events with it already.  Very stable car, great feedback, tons of fun to dodge cones with.

This website is a great resource to finding local and abroad racing in North America.  https://www.motorsportreg.com/

Wow - great info. Thanks so much!!! Getting very close on a car for next spring...

MiketheSpike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 10:16:59 AM »
Hey Mike, this is indeed the group for you! Autocross is by far the best option for a relatively low cost of entry into racing, not to mention probably the safest. Almost any car can compete, the GR86 being a very good option. We run our events in Airdrie and Fort Macleod, and most of our members live in Calgary.

We just wrapped up our season for the year, but we look forward to meeting you next year. We usually start in late April or early May. The season schedule for next year will be posted on this forum likely sometime in March next year.

Any questions please let us know!
-Dallin
I guess I do have a follow up question! For autocross, is special insurance needed in Alberta - or is it just that if you have a mishap while doing autocross, your insurance may not cover damage to your own car? Just wondering what is actually needed in terms of coverage to go racing. Also curious about car warranties, although I know that might vary by car company. I'm waiting for a new GR86, and curious what Toyota would say if I went autocrossing haha. thanks again

Dallin_M3

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 04:37:49 PM »
No special insurance is required, but be aware that any incidents that occur on an autocross venue will not be covered by your regular insurance company. There are companies that offer specific competition insurance, but it is usually very expensive. Most people accept the risks and choose to go uncovered.

As for the warranty question, theoretically warranty should not be voided for competing in autocross. That said, it definitely has happened, so I'd probably confirm with Toyota if you are concerned.

MiketheSpike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 09:56:39 AM »
No special insurance is required, but be aware that any incidents that occur on an autocross venue will not be covered by your regular insurance company. There are companies that offer specific competition insurance, but it is usually very expensive. Most people accept the risks and choose to go uncovered.

As for the warranty question, theoretically warranty should not be voided for competing in autocross. That said, it definitely has happened, so I'd probably confirm with Toyota if you are concerned.

Makes sense - thanks for the info!!!!

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11457
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 49
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36