Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:30:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

79 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 2016 Course Volunteers  (Read 2414 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
2016 Course Volunteers
« on: March 29, 2016, 10:18:41 AM »
As Tom mentioned in the other thread, we use some additional help with the following:

"Course design
Course setup
Cone hauling (hauling cones to the airport @ 7:30am from the Fort MacLeod storage locker and then back at the end of the day)"

Tom M. and myself have been doing the bulk of this work in the past and it is not wise to have only 1 or 2 people doing all the work.  Sooner or later, we may not be there and then what happens? 

Therefore in light of that reasoning, it would be best to have other individuals get involved, learn the ropes so to speak and volunteer to help organize and put on these events of ours.

What skills do you need?  None.  Just be willing to learn and help out.  That's it.  We will provide anything and everything that you may possibly need including some on-the-job training!

The benefits, not necessarily in any particular order:

1.  Get to know more people and become a part of the community.  Nothing like working together toward a common goal to get to know people!  We have a great bunch of people and there is much to share!   

2.  Learn some new skills in course design and what it takes.

3.  Learn the rules for course design (yes, there are some!) in both the SCCA and ASN/FiA Canada rules.

4.  By learning course design, you CAN become a better driver.  How does that happen?  Well, if you understand what the designer was trying to accomplish and how an element is contrived/put together, you will be better able to determine a proper line around that particular element and, hence, be faster ... right off the bat!   If you do not read the course properly, you will never reach the potential fast time for your circumstances.  At big events (and even local events since we have quite a few very capable drivers here!), if you do not read the course, you can be guaranteed to begin at mid-pack at best and work your way down with any errors.  Trust me, it is better to start off right ... at the course walk and determining the proper line BEFORE you start driving!   :)

And benefits to the club as a whole:

1.  More people helping out:  The more quickly we get set up and torn down!  E.g. we get to start on-time and finish quicker and likely more runs on most days.  It helps!

2.  More designers, means we get more variety in courses due to the "style" of course design.  Everyone has their own tastes or "style" and it can be interesting to see the creativity of others!  I have my own "style" and it reflects my creativity.  No one's "style" is "better" or "worse" than any others.  They are just different.  And having a different design is not necessarily a bad thing!  I would say it is benefit to be able to run as many designs as possible to develop as a group of drivers!

3.  Perhaps, most importantly, much like Murray this summer, you never know when one of us cannot make it to an event and then there may be no one left to do a proper course design.  We need some redundancy in the "system".

4.  Also, when we have more designers and helpers, we help to prevent burn-out of workers.  When the load is shared among more people, the work load becomes much more bearable and the fun-factor all around goes up!

There are likely more benefits and such etc. however I think this can be a fun thing to do for all involved.

I will provide to-scale maps of the airport (we measured it all out so we can design proper courses), autocad files (if you use autocad that is), links to training materials and even maps of SCCA National Tour and National Championship course designs to look for ideas and inspiration.  I have many years of course designs that I have saved on the 'puter.  Plenty of helpful info!

Just add your name to the group to help out right here on this forum topic ...

If you have any questions, ask away!

Reijo

94boosted

• Administrator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Course Volunteers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 05:17:06 PM »
I'd be happy to help out with course design and setup had a lot of fun last year.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

PaulT

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 05:38:18 PM »
For sure I'm willing and able to do what ever I can to help the cause.
PaulT #202

Canuck

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 06:07:25 PM »
^ what he said.  I have no clue how to design a course so will only offer for timing and cone distribution duties like a good rookie should.  Many hands make light work.
1981 Volvo 242 GLT
1966 Volvo 122 (long term project)

MattH

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 01:01:16 PM »
Hi Reijo,
I'd love to help out!
Driving cones down, course design, course set up, whatever! I'm in!
I'm very very much looking forward to this summer.
-Matt H
That crazy guy who thinks racing a 2003 Convertible Mustang GT is a good idea.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11457
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 87
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 79
Total: 79