Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

62 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Snell 2005 helmets not allowed next year?  (Read 8647 times)

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
Re: Snell 2005 helmets not allowed next year?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 11:20:55 AM »
I meant arbitrary in terms of these sudden and late breaking changes.  A helmet that was good for years (as of June 13, 2015) is now being obsoleted much earlier.  What if I had bought an M2015 helmet in the last 6 months?  Or an M2010?
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Stuart

• That cone is still in the box!
  • Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 11:40:41 AM »
So just to clarify, my M2005 helmet is good for the remainder of 2016 and then its garbage?

It is good for the remainder of 2016, and then it would be up to ASN Canada to either follow the lead of FIA or not. 

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
I meant arbitrary in terms of these sudden and late breaking changes.  A helmet that was good for years (as of June 13, 2015) is now being obsoleted much earlier.  What if I had bought an M2015 helmet in the last 6 months?  Or an M2010?

If ASN Canada decides they are not acceptable then you would be out of luck, just like guys in STU who bought wheels over 11" wide, or any number of other rule changes that make previous equipment obsolete.

nnywg

• :|
  • My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 12:06:35 PM »

I did just buy a M2015 helmet after waiting all season to get something that would be up to date and last for a while given minimal abuse of ~10 events per year.   >:( >:( >:( >:(

Via the Snell Website:
"What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not."

I think the argument could easily be made to ASN that unless all SoloSport is going to require prep including fire suppression and roll bars, there is no sense in going to SA-only helmets.  That certainly goes against the whole point of SoloSport's accessibility to Average-Joe.
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 12:29:21 PM »
So just to clarify, my M2005 helmet is good for the remainder of 2016 and then its garbage?

It is good for the remainder of 2016, and then it would be up to ASN Canada to either follow the lead of FIA or not.

Rats, was hoping for another 2-3 seasons before I bought a new one.........we could challenge the ASN to a game of Dodgeball? Cmon the Average Joes always win ;)
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 01:15:38 PM »
In the end ASN is here for the competitors, so if you feel strongly on an issue it is worth letting them know.  As with any governing body, they can not act on things that are not brought to their attention.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 01:30:07 PM »
For autocross, I would hope that ASN would look to the rules used for the largest autocross organization in the world (SCCA).
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 01:48:37 PM »
For autocross, I would hope that ASN would look to the rules used for the largest autocross organization in the world (SCCA).

Really we should be in step with SCCA imho.   We should send Doug Campbell a note in this regard so they can coordinate their rules with the SCCA should they choose to do so.

In some ways it makes sense, ... lower speeds than road racing, mostly stockish/street vehicles, and we wear the helmets for runs that are a minute or so long .... not 20 minute qualifying and longer races etc.  We just don't use the helmets as much ... mind you I have resorted to washing my liner regularly since I seem to work up a sweat easily with a black helmet!   :)

R

nnywg

• My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »
Via Doug Campbell on the CSCC forum:

"The current Autoslalom/Autocross/ice dice rules from 2015 allow the Snell 2005M helmets until the end of 2018. 2000M helmets expired last year. 2010M and 2015M helmets are also allowed. No expiry date set for these years at this time. The SoloSport committee believes an error or omission exists on the FIA list 25 at this time. It is our intention to continue to allow Snell M rated helmets for the above events.
Doug Campbell
WCMA/ASN SoloSport Committee Rep"

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/rallyx-news/2016-cscc-ice-dice/msg71609/?topicseen#new
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11459
  • Total Topics: 1572
  • Online Today: 78
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62