Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

79 Guests, 0 Users

Poll

How often do you change your tires before an autocross?

I frequently use my autocross car for non-autocross stuff; I frequently or always change my tires before an autocross
4 (23.5%)
I frequently use my autocross car for non-autocross stuff; I rarely or never change my tires before an autocross
7 (41.2%)
I rarely use my autocross car for non-autocross stuff; I frequently or always change my tires before an autocross
1 (5.9%)
I rarely use my autocross car for non-autocross stuff; I rarely or never change my tires before an autocross
5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: How often do you change your tires before an autocross?  (Read 4975 times)

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
How often do you change your tires before an autocross?
« on: October 27, 2019, 11:04:48 AM »
I read a discussion elsewhere about how frequently people change their tires before an autocross (e.g. whether drive their cars on different tires during the rest of the week).

There were some assertions made in that discussion which were totally different from my perception, so I figured I'd educate myself by doing a straw poll here. There are actually effectively two questions in this poll: how often do you use your car for non-autocross stuff (e.g. is it primarily an autocross car, or do you use it during the week as well), and how often do you change your tires before an autocross?
Stephen Hui

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
Re: How often do you change your tires before an autocross?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 12:28:07 PM »
When Jo and I drove our S2000 across Canada (and back), one thing that I discovered is that 200 TW tires are just fine in terms of wear rate on the highway.  We got 100+ autox events and 10,000 km from a set of RE-71Rs.  Ever since then, I just leave the RE-71Rs on the car.

BTW, RE-71Rs suck on the highway when it is raining and the asphalt has not been seal-coated with aggregate.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 01:06:31 PM »
Primarily an autox car. Two sets of tires this year with a cumulative 5000km and ~215 runs.

Toe kills tires, I don't run a lot of toe.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

John in Calgary

• Administrator
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 02:01:23 PM »
Our little yellow convertible is both our autocross car and our date/roadtrip car (I even strap my mountain bikes to it for Wednesday night and weekend rides when the weather is conducive to top down driving).  So to reduce wear due to unintentional hooning on our RE71s, I swap them on the day before an event and swap them back off usually the day after.  This also lets me do a proper wheels off inspection of the suspension and brakes as I work my way through the checklist before I hand it in (instead of just checking the boxes while I'm standing there at registration).

John

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 03:02:53 PM »
You missed an option for non-street cars ... e.g. a Prepared or Mod track-only car.

JamesTCallaghan

• That cone is still in the box!
  • If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 04:24:48 PM »
200TW or more I’d drive everywhere, less than 200TW my preferences would be to swap tires and wheels on for events only and run a harder compound for street use.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11457
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 79
Total: 79