Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 11:39:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

81 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 2016 draft scca solo rules  (Read 4321 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
2016 draft scca solo rules
« on: December 29, 2015, 08:38:12 AM »
A draft of the 2016 SCCA National Solo Rules has been posted on the SCCA website under Programs -> Autocross -> Rules. After January 1, the Solo Rules will be readied for printing so the hard copy will be available in a month or so.
There have been some changes for 2016 that should be helpful for all, including newbies looking at a helmet purchase. Under Quick Reference Sheets on the Solo Cars and Rules webpage, there is a pdf file showing the appropriate certification labels that should be in every helmet. New for 2016 is the allowance for ECE R22.05 motorcycle helmets. These helmets are very popular at motorcycle shops. Competitors looking for a new helmet and tech inspectors checking for helmet compliance can read about the ECE R22.05 label on the 2nd page. Use the pdf file when you shop for a helmet, at tech inspections, on your Region’s website, etc.
Please feel free to contact Doug at the SCCA National Office about the Solo Rules, helmets, or anything Solo.
1-800-770-2055 or dgill@scca.com

http://solomatters.com/2016_scca_solo_rules_draft

Stuart

• That cone is still in the box!
  • Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
Re: 2016 draft scca solo rules
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 10:06:16 AM »
It is important to note that those helmet rules would not apply to our local events.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 11:14:24 AM »
In Canada, these helmet rules apply (see section 4.5):
http://www.asncanada.com/2015_SoloSport/2015_ASN_Autoslalom_Regulations-Jun16.pdf

Helmets are one area where U.S. and Canadian rules differ significantly.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 12:09:28 PM »
Helmets are one area where U.S. and Canadian rules differ significantly.

Or rather, the US and the rest of the world (our standards come directly from FIA)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
Not in autox ... FiA in Europe has nothing to do with autox.

Canada f'd this one up.

Mind you, we will be in compliance with SCCA rules ... better than ... just that we have to replace helmet 33% more often .. hence more cost for us.

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 04:25:59 PM »
Not in autox ... FiA in Europe has nothing to do with autox.

Considering the ASN Canada FIA helmet rules are pulled directly from FIA and are sanctioned by them I will stand by my statement.

majormojo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 07:45:55 PM »
I agree with Stuart. Our autox rules come from ASN Canada FIA, which of course is affiliated with FIA (international). The helmet rules are substantially the same as SCCA, the main differences I see with SCCA are they allow K (Kart) helmets and that new motorcycle standard. The replacement frequency is the same; current plus previous 2 Snell certifications. Looks like SCCA is allowing SA/M 2000 helmets for one more season, but that's not significant IMO. Regardless, a 10-15 yr old helmet is likely ready for replacement anyway.
Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 08:43:12 PM »
The rule differences go farther than that.  In the U.S., I can legally drive a caged car with my M2005 helmet, while ASN rules forbid that in Canada.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 09:45:11 PM »
I agree with Stuart. Our autox rules come from ASN Canada FIA, which of course is affiliated with FIA (international). The helmet rules are substantially the same as SCCA, the main differences I see with SCCA are they allow K (Kart) helmets and that new motorcycle standard. The replacement frequency is the same; current plus previous 2 Snell certifications. Looks like SCCA is allowing SA/M 2000 helmets for one more season, but that's not significant IMO. Regardless, a 10-15 yr old helmet is likely ready for replacement anyway.

Helmet stds are Snell, DOT, etc.    FiA specs what helmets are to be used for their road races.  WRC their's ... and ASN Canada autoslalom are dictated by a group of guys who write the rule books for us ... and I used to be one of them.  So it is a group of 5-6 guys who wrote that rule up that determines what helmets we wear ... and that set of rules is adapted by the insurance co. 

Get the difference?

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 11:08:21 PM »
We are just pointing out that currently the ASN Autoslalom rules are written to follow FIA Technical List N° 25.  In theory they could modify that list, but it is understandable why they would rely on a group such as the FIA that has more resource available to investigate helmet standards.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11457
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 81
Total: 81