Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 10:15:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Help needed for Saturday.  (Read 2210 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Help needed for Saturday.
« on: April 17, 2018, 01:07:37 PM »
We are hoping to do some work at the lot on Saturday as well as setting up for Sunday.

1.  There will be two courses (novice course at the west end and practice course on the east end) so there is a bit more work to set up.
2.  We want to patch some potholes in key places so we can use more pavement without fear of hitting them.  The patch material can be driven on right away.
3.  We are also wanting to remove some curbs to make more room also.
4.  Also looking at renting a couple of jackhammers to maybe remove some of the permanent curbing - this might be a bigger project but the added room sure would be nice!   :)  Maybe we can do a couple of test sections to see what is underneath and how they were constructed and then arrange another work day?  If they are easy to break up and remove then obviously we'll do more.   :)

So, if you have a pick axe, pry and crowbars, sledge and a strong back you are needed!   :)

We will supply dust masks (for the jack hammer), brooms and other equipment.

I think the club can pick up the tab on lunch etc.

Let's say noon to 5 pm or so.

Some of us will show up earlier to pick up equipment and start the work ... thinking maybe 10-11 am or so for myself and anyone else so inclined.

Reijo

PaulT

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed for Saturday.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:38:23 PM »
Reijo I'll be there around noon but need to leave by 4. let's get er done.
PaulT #202

Pat S

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 10:16:21 PM »
I'll come out for noon.
Pat #8
'89 GMC C1500, '09 Honda Fit

John in Calgary

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 07:43:02 AM »
I'll be there at noon too, will bring a pick and sledge.

John

Bitters

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 08:20:22 AM »
So to clarify, is the plan to run two small courses near each other (covering the space we usually run a larger course)? Or is the novice course going to be setup in a different area of the parking lot (where we have had some novice sessions before at YYC)?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 03:17:41 PM »
So to clarify, is the plan to run two small courses near each other (covering the space we usually run a larger course)? Or is the novice course going to be setup in a different area of the parking lot (where we have had some novice sessions before at YYC)?

Here's what I designed.  The practice course is 0.8+ km. which is longer than a typical course there (0.7 km).  It is easily reversible so you wear the tires equally on both sides.

My idea was that after I have dealt with the novices in the morning that we could modify the course to use the entire lot using part of the novice course with some transitions from one course to the other course installed.

So, in effect you could run 4 different courses in the day.

No timing for the novices.  Technique is more important than time.

R

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »
OK - picked up some asphalt patch material (still need more though ... so this evening perhaps) and a pick.  Put on a nice black suit - the tar won't show up on it so much!   ;)   Actually I don't even know if it is black ... or even tar ... think it is some kind of epoxy mix ... might be concrete coloured.   :)

I took a look at the lot today and it is looking good.  Once my phone charges up I'll post some on FB.

A little tiny bit of snow left near our usual start and it will not affect us at all.

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »
I have to go pick up more asphalt repair material (store did not have the big buckets I wanted) and a couple of other errands to run ... a big of a quick fix on the truck etc. and be heading over to the lot (I have the key for the 22nd st. entrance so use that as an entry point today. We can also use some help if you are available. The more, the merrier and, of course, the faster the work and the course gets done. If we get some of the curbs removed that I looked at yesterday, I will extend the course slightly because we can! It will still resemble what is on the map ... sort of....for the most part! :)

We will have more lot to play on after today. So, c'mon out and help out a bit. You also get an early look at the courses.

I should be there perhaps about 11:15 am ... guesstimate. If something drastic happens I'll update here from my phone.

Almost out the door as we speak ... 10:02 am.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »
Thanks to everyone who came out to help!  We now have about 8 meters or so more room near the grid to use because the temporary curbs and signs are taken away.

Thanks to Patrick, James, Tim, Tom, Ken, Wayne, Gary L., Miles, John and Marco.  Sorry if I missed anyone - let me know.

Everything came together nicely and the courses are setup, tweaked and chalked.  I notice the wind had blown some cones out of place but they are chalked so we will have to replace them first thing in the morning.

Please note that we will pit in the NE lot which is sloped and higher which means drier!   :)

We will grid in the first two rows (where the pits normally are) since they seem to be the driest (or maybe we only need one grid lane?  We'll see in the morning).

See you in the morning!

R

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11455
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 49
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0