Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 03:31:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

62 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: car classing question  (Read 2415 times)

dansmith11

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
car classing question
« on: August 09, 2016, 07:54:58 AM »
so my car is a "special edition" 2015 FRS RS1.0 (the yellow one from the calgary event this sunday aug 7).

the links to the rule books i've seen, the rules seem to be USA based.. so in the USA, my trim level comes with TRD springs, in Canada it does not. so if i were to install TRD springs, would i still be able to run in stock class? since it is a stock item for my trim level in the states?

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
Re: car classing question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 08:09:08 AM »
Hi Dan,

I wasn't aware of that difference between Canadian models and American ones. Yes you can install the TRD springs and sway bars. They were a port option for our cars anyways.

You also mentioned to me on Sunday that you weren't in street class because of camber bolts. Aftermarket camber bolts are indeed illegal, but Toyota does have a crash bolt that offers marginally more camber that is legal for the class.

dansmith11

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 08:21:58 AM »
so are all port options legal for street class then?

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 08:34:11 AM »
Port options get dicey and are often debated back and forth with the SCCA rules committee, I will try to dig through the last bunch of Fastrack's to get more details on their latest decisions.  The quick answer would be that the springs are legal as the US models are truly what the rules are based around and as long as your car matches the options available down there you are compliant.

PS.
According to May 2015 Fastrack
"The SEB in conjunction with the SAC and the National Staff have been investigating the details of port installed
options for the Scion FRS MY 2013-2015. Specifically, the TRD lowering springs P/N PTR07-18130 and TRD Sway
Bar Kit P/N PTR11-18130. It has been determined both kits were available as port installed options for 2013-2015
Scion FR-S models, and thus they are compliant for use on a Scion FR-S in C Street."

It also looks like the most common issue with port options and the BRZ/FRS is that the FRS has some port options that the BRZ does not and the rules do not allow the port options to cross manufacturers.

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 12:04:34 PM »
Springs and bars are legal. TRD wheels, short shifter and airbox are not.

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 12:18:15 PM »
The Canadian classing rules are pretty confusing.

All of the answers above are based on the American SCCA rules, but the ASN Canada rule book doesn't actually include most of the American rules -- it just has the list of car classifications without any of the clarifying text. Given that, it's not clear if the American clarifying text applies here.

By the American rules, port-installed options are absolutely legal. From Section 12:

Port-installed options provided by the manufacturer are considered to be the same as those installed on the factory production line.

Furthermore, according to the American rules, since the American version of your car came with the TRD springs, it's technically *only* legal with them installed. From Section 13:

A Canadian-market vehicle is eligible for Street category if it is identical to the US-market counterpart except for comfort and convenience modifications as allowed per Section 13.2.A.

...but again, neither of those rules actually appear in the ASN rule book.

Source: Lived and competed in the U.S. for sixteen years.
Stephen Hui

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 01:26:08 PM »
The ASN regulations do directly use the SCCA rules as mentioned below, however they only include appendix A in their printed version (for brevity I would assume)

6. VEHICLE PREPARATION REGULATIONS:
ASN Canada FIA has adopted the following sections of the SCCA Solo II Rules as part of the National Autoslalom Regulations.
Sections:
12. AUTOMOBILE DEFINITIONS
13. STREET CATEGORY
14. STREET TOURING CATEGORY
15. STREET PREPARED CATEGORY
16. STREET MODIFIED CATEGORY
17. PREPARED CATEGORY
18. MODIFIED CATEGORY
See Appendix E, F & G of the ASN Canada FIA National Autoslalom Regulations.
ASN Canada FIA National SoloSport Regulations AutoSlalom 2016
33 of

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »
The intention was to use the entire SCCA classing system so whatever is good with the SCCA, just use that.   :)

R

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 06:43:36 PM »
Ah, ok, I missed that.
Stephen Hui

Recent

Members
Stats