Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:00:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

15 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Question about AutoX schools/Solo Pro  (Read 13626 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: Question about AutoX schools/Solo Pro
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »
Just out of curiosity...would your daily driver be ok to use on one of these events or course?  I don't want to beat up my daily. 
I'm interested in the pro course.

I would say most people use their daily driver ... and I sure have for most of the years I have competed and never broke anything at a solo event on my daily drivers.

I did have a couple of incidents in the last few decades in solo competition but I think the first one was a freak occurrence and may have been caused by a previous wheel failure that weakened the bolts (which sheared off).  This was on a trailer queen that was extensively modified by the way and not really a daily driver.

The 2nd one was last fall on the S2k which are known to have weak diffs. and we broke one ... albeit with much more power/torque than stock and 14" (335's) wide rear R-compounds which also result in a lot more stress on the driveline over stock street tires (225's).  Like I said once into more modified classes "things" can happen.

Having said that, driving on the road is hazardous and you can break something.  Solo is supposed to be essentially no more problematic than driving on the roads other than tire wear which is understandable.  In other words, "stuff" can happen however I would say it is very rare and more than likely something that was about to go anyway ... if that makes sense.

Personally, I have never hesitated running my daily driver in the past ... just pump up the tires to prevent roll-over and go out and have some fun!   :)

Cheers,

Reijo

NickST

• :|
  • Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 08:09:01 PM »
What kind of tape do you guys use for avoiding cone damage?

I should probably make some sort of attempt to avoid wrecking the paint on my car this time around

Jo and I aren't in any hurry -- we will take it for a spin at Fort Macleod once you have it broken in :)
Sounds good, I am loving this car so far!

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 10:36:48 PM »
Get some painter's tape ... like masking tape but the kind that does not leave a film ...

R

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 11:32:48 PM »
Personally, I have never hesitated running my daily driver in the past ... just pump up the tires to prevent roll-over and go out and have some fun!   :)

FYI, Reijo means "prevent tire roll-over", not "prevent vehicle roll-over" :)
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 11:41:48 PM »

In my experience, cone rubber doesn't really damage the paint; it just sticks on tenaciously.  I use Magic Eraser to take it off (paint), although some people tell me that this will dull the clear coat.  I respond "what clear coat"?  As for 3M, nothing in the world will remove cone rubber -- it chemically bonds with the 3M to make something really black and ugly.  So, use painters tape (low tack, blue stuff) to protect your 3M.  Sounds a biut wrong, doesn't it? :)

2017 Miata (C Street)

rayray

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 08:29:07 AM »

In my experience, cone rubber doesn't really damage the paint; it just sticks on tenaciously.  I use Magic Eraser to take it off (paint), although some people tell me that this will dull the clear coat.  I respond "what clear coat"?  As for 3M, nothing in the world will remove cone rubber -- it chemically bonds with the 3M to make something really black and ugly.  So, use painters tape (low tack, blue stuff) to protect your 3M.  Sounds a biut wrong, doesn't it? :)

I took it to my detailer and they were able to wash/buff it out when I requested a wax ($30!). But yeah the black sticks to 3M pretty good unless you really get into cleaning it.
"all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed"
-Eleanor Roosevelt

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 08:46:21 AM »
A detailer just managed to melt the 3M (I think) and smear the cone marks over a larger area.  Looks real purty now...
2017 Miata (C Street)

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11444
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0