Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:33:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

26 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 2018 - SASC Schedule/Rules/Info  (Read 28322 times)

jopete

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 - SASC Schedule/Rules/Info
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 05:08:20 PM »
thanks for putting this in a pinned forum post - no more confusion cause by cut-and-paste errors when setting up an event in MSReg
Jo Peterson
2017 Mazda MX-5 GS red, #105

Type_Yarr

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 09:26:36 PM »
Can we publish times for the non-counted runs as well as the counted runs?

Always!  Something like this (taken from a "real" test example :) ):

Run data (ordered by car number):
Car# Mbr Rky Class Driver           Car                    Sponsor               
   1 Yes Yes    ES Driver 1          2003 Mazda Miata                             
                   Day 1 Set 1 (11.000)     12.000      13.000    Fun-->  14.000      15.000   
                   Day 1 Set 2  (9.000)      9.000       9.000    Fun-->   8.000       8.000       8.000   
                 Total (set1 only):  11.000
   2  No Yes    AS Driver 2           2007 Infiniti G35x                           
                   Day 1 Set 1  25.000      24.000     (23.000)   Fun-->   9.000       9.000   
                   Day 1 Set 2  (9.000)      9.000       9.000    Fun-->   8.000       8.000   
                 Total (set1 only):  23.000

Looks great Murray!
Richard B

Midnightsky

• :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 09:49:10 PM »
Did we miss out on that new venue Reijo was looking into?
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 11:13:11 PM »
Did we miss out on that new venue Reijo was looking into?

Nope.  We are still talking to them and, if it works out, we may be adding a few events.  Stay tuned.

R

S2000 Adventures

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 07:04:56 PM »
"•   This is a volunteer based sport, in order to drive you must also work, those that don’t work their assignment both in the morning and afternoon will be banned from future events"

Is there a possibility of bringing in external workers (that are not participating in the events) and paying them for their time or giving them a gift card of X amount?

I'm sure most people attending these events wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to have the option NOT to work. They're not working because of some deterrent.

Some of the things that deter people from working are:
-Seeing other people sneak out to get food/gas without being penalized. Leaving events after their last run.
-When conditions aren't ideal and people aren't not dressed appropriately ... an argument can be made that they should've been more prepared but they weren't... they don't want to expose themselves to the elements (rain, strong winds, cold) (they're essentially being forced to deal with poor conditions or get banned from future events). Maybe give these people the option to leave for the day but not get banned?
-Lack of PPE (safety glasses, earplugs, gloves) There is a lot of dust that gets kicked up from passing cars in the YYC lot, even sunglasses don't do too much. Some of the cars were on the loud side (even with noise control that was going on). If stations workers are constantly getting dust in their eyes they want to get out of that situation, they wouldn't be incentivized to stand there. PPE would help.
-Standing/working at certain stations is riskier than others. Workers may not feel safe. Some people don't want to put their life at risk with a car coming at them while they reset the cone.
- etc etc. I'm sure we could go on with many things that deter people and find ways to mitigate them

My point being, no one should be forced to do something they don't want to do. At everyone's day job, people  have the right to refuse work if they are put in poor conditions (subjective) or they feel the work is too dangerous (subjective). Why isn't this right extended to auto cross without consequences?

Maybe something like this was considered in the past and it was deemed unfeasible? Would it increase the event cost to an unsustainable amount if station workers were hired?

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 10:20:24 PM »
Is there a possibility of bringing in external workers (that are not participating in the events) and paying them for their time or giving them a gift card of X amount?

I'm sure most people attending these events wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to have the option NOT to work. They're not working because of some deterrent.

To run any given run group at any particular event can require as many as 27 workers (18 on-course marshals, 2 timing, 3 grid, 1 gate, 1 starter, 2 sound) not counting course set-up, take down or the other behind the scenes work.

To pay for that many folks to work an entire day would make this proposal very cost prohibitive. If someone is so inclined they are absolutely able to pay someone to cover their own work assignment but that's up to the individual.

Some of the things that deter people from working are:
-Seeing other people sneak out to get food/gas without being penalized. Leaving events after their last run.
-When conditions aren't ideal and people aren't not dressed appropriately ... an argument can be made that they should've been more prepared but they weren't... they don't want to expose themselves to the elements (rain, strong winds, cold) (they're essentially being forced to deal with poor conditions or get banned from future events). Maybe give these people the option to leave for the day but not get banned?
-Lack of PPE (safety glasses, earplugs, gloves) There is a lot of dust that gets kicked up from passing cars in the YYC lot, even sunglasses don't do too much. Some of the cars were on the loud side (even with noise control that was going on). If stations workers are constantly getting dust in their eyes they want to get out of that situation, they wouldn't be incentivized to stand there. PPE would help.
-Standing/working at certain stations is riskier than others. Workers may not feel safe. Some people don't want to put their life at risk with a car coming at them while they reset the cone.

I'll address these in order.

- If folks are sneaking out without working their assignment we need others to bring these people to our attention so that this doesn't happen. We do our best to make sure that those folks working the gate keep an eye to see if it's spectators that are leaving or people that should be working. Keep in mind that if someone ran and worked both in the am and pm it's entirely possible and permissible for them to leave while the third run group is running in the afternoon.
- If people didn't check the forecast and dress accordingly there's really not much that we can do about that, same goes for most outdoor activities. In the event something arises and someone cannot work their assignment if they speak to one of the executives before leaving it's a different scenario than if they simply leave or don't work their assignment.
- The lack of safety glasses is not a concern that I've ever heard before but we do take safety very seriously and this is something we can look into. As for hearing plugs those could actually put someone at more risk of not hearing a quieter vehicle approaching. Gloves we'll leave to individuals to bring with them if they so choose.
- As mentioned, safety is of paramount concern to us, marshal stations are located in very specific areas so as to be in the safest location possible, out of the way of a car that could potentially spin out. We always stress to marshals that their own personal safety is vastly more important than picking up a downed cone and should only run to pick up a cone if it's safe to do so. We strive to have one experienced marshal at each station to help coach less experienced folks on how to pick up downed cones safely. And if someone is still opposed to working on course there are other worker positions that don't require running to pick up downed cones (grid, gate, sound etc.)

My point being, no one should be forced to do something they don't want to do. At everyone's day job, people  have the right to refuse work if they are put in poor conditions (subjective) or they feel the work is too dangerous (subjective). Why isn't this right extended to auto cross without consequences?

We don't force anyone to do anything they feel is dangerous, however as this is a volunteer based sport if you want to compete you need to volunteer your time in one of the worker positions (not necessarily a marshal out on course).
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Zach S

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 01:17:20 AM »
"14.   July 28 Sunday - Fort Macleod - Solo Event #9"

Is it Saturday July 28th or Sunday July 29th?? Trying to book my time off work  ;)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 05:26:16 AM »

Is it Saturday July 28th or Sunday July 29th?? Trying to book my time off work  ;)

Good catch!

That should be Sunday, July 29th at Fort Macleod.

I corrected the schedule at the top of this topic.

Reijo

Bitters

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »

Good catch!

Reijo

On the same note, is the Saturday May 12 @ Fort Macleod date accurate? or is that supposed to be a sunday as well?

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 01:06:13 PM »

Good catch!

Reijo

The approved permit from the town reads July 28th not the 29th so it should be Saturday, July 28th

Good catch!

Reijo

On the same note, is the Saturday May 12 @ Fort Macleod date accurate? or is that supposed to be a sunday as well?

Our approved permit reads May 12 so it should be Saturday, May 12th

I will update the schedule
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

rairdan93

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 05:08:12 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about Canadian Nationals this year? I imagine its out east and I probably won't be able to attend. Just curious when it is and if anyone is going?
Matt #3  CAM-C  2005 Mustang GT

Dr Dave

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 08:34:54 PM »
The Oshawa club is hosting, it will be held at an air strip just north of London Ontario on July 6-8 weekend.

Cagare

• Administrator
  • :|
  • 2020 Club President
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 10:15:01 PM »
you
The Oshawa club is hosting, it will be held at an air strip just north of London Ontario on July 6-8 weekend.

Well, it is a combination of a few Ontario clubs, including Oshawa, Barrie and London.  The venue is one that was used by the London club in the past but it was lost.  I am with the London club currently.

Currently we are waiting on shareholder response to have it at that venue but the ownership is offshore, so it is moving slowly for that response.  ASN is needing to sort it very soon, so if it doesn't go this month it will be at another location likely.

Hopefully it works out, it's a good venue.  Supposed to be July 6-8 weekend right now, but again not confirmed.

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 08:16:15 AM »
Please note that we've rescinded the 3 run rule, format will be the same as previous years'.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

jopete

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 04:31:05 PM »
We prefer to have NO racing-related insignia/stickers/etc. visible on the exterior of our vehicle when it's on the street.  Can we have an alternate placement for the tech sticker other than the windshield?
Jo Peterson
2017 Mazda MX-5 GS red, #105

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0