Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:59:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

16 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Budget YYC Lot Pictures - April 2nd  (Read 9868 times)

94boosted

• Administrator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
Budget YYC Lot Pictures - April 2nd
« on: April 02, 2018, 09:14:35 PM »
I was in the area today so I snapped a few pictures of the lot, there needs to be a lot of melting if we're going to have an event in 13 days  :-[

Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: Budget YYC Lot Pictures - April 2nd
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 09:28:18 PM »
April Ice Dice!        :o

xr7bill

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 10:25:26 PM »
I guess I should check to see if my heater works in the 7. lol.
Bill

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 11:12:33 PM »
Crazy question, but does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to plow the lot?

No point in holding an event if it's still this cold in two weeks, but if it warms up, plowing now could mean the difference between having a clear lot in a few weeks and not.
Stephen Hui

JamesTCallaghan

• If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 08:09:17 AM »
Winter: the gift that just keeps giving  :P

Robp201

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 08:21:00 AM »
Crazy question, but does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to plow the lot?

No point in holding an event if it's still this cold in two weeks, but if it warms up, plowing now could mean the difference between having a clear lot in a few weeks and not.

I have a contact and can ask, But first question is will Budget let us plow? Is it an insurance issue because we are a third party asking to have the lot plowed?
If budget says its OK then I can ask.
Also will they let us pile snow say around the lamp posts? (Wouldn't have to be there as long then ) That lot I'm guessing would require a rubber tire loader, not just a bobcat or he would be there for a few days because of the crusts that has formed on the snow and a pickup plow set up could work but not sure they could push it all off the lot.
Let me know if you want me to ask.
Do we know the dimensions of the lot and grid? I'm not sure if he will need that info.

Rob

Type_Yarr

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 08:31:31 AM »

I was at the lot trying to get to the storage locker last weekend (Mar 24). From the height of the drifts on the far concrete pedestals, it doesn't look like it melted much before it got cold again. I got our truck high centered and stuck in the grid area where it looked about the same as Tom's photos. There's drifts that are 2ft high and very hard/sugary snow over a sheet of ice. The Budget guy who does the plowing came to the rescue, and said he got the plow stuck twice in that area so he wasn't even going to attempt plowing past there (towards the autox area). 

That said, if it does warm up next week, maybe we can convince Budget to try again?
Richard B

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 08:32:37 AM »
Building access and clearing snow is something I oversee at work for our sites, if we had a rubber tired front end loader to clear this entire site (grid, pits, tech area, course) I would expect the costs to be in the neighborhood of 2 grand all in. The hauling in and out of equipment would be a big chunk of this cost. I think that makes it a bit cost prohibitive.

Another potential option would be to push the first event by a week to April 22nd, an extra week of above 0 temperatures would really help (the 14 day trend looks good starting April 9th).
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 11:34:49 AM »
Makes me think of another winter school!   :)

However, if the temps recover to double digits, it will melt pretty quickly ... and moreso if there are a few tracks out there.  Someone want to do a few laps?   ;)

I have to go over there some time to pick up the legal documents/agreement from Budget (they have signed it btw).

Or if the situation does not improve, we could move it back another week as Tom suggested which is probably the best solution if we cannot hold the event due to the snow. 

Or an ice dice?   

Reijo

Type_Yarr

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 12:05:29 PM »
^The conditions are much worse than during the last winter school. The crusts on the drifts are too solid to chew up with a truck. It can support the weight of a 3/4 ton truck in many places, and will leave you high centered once your tires fall through and start grinding deeper into the snow. Maybe a monster truck ice dice would work...
Richard B

Ryan S

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 03:07:05 PM »
Compacted snow and ice crust like that would need a wheel loader to clear, not just a truck with plow.  I think we will just need to be patient and hope the weather warms up quickly.  8)

Sprockett

• Global Moderator
  • My cars = For Sale
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 07:42:30 PM »
If any of it could be cleared to the pavement it would all clear a lot faster afterwards I bet.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 08:24:00 PM »
If any of it could be cleared to the pavement it would all clear a lot faster afterwards I bet.

Yes, I agree ... just need a bit of bare pavement.

I will be heading over there some time soon to pick up our agreement and will do a few "runs" around the yard in my truck to break up the snow a bit.  I also have some work coming in the NE soon so it might be another chance to swing by ... Falconridge is close by.

R

Dr Dave

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 08:48:16 PM »
From the pictures it looks like there's a VW club in town that's been using the lot. I can see Rabbits have been out there running around.

A bit of bare pavement would accelerate the melting process especially next week when we get sunny and double digit plus temperatures. But even though the last couple days with the temps below zero, the snow is disappearing, this time of year the sun is intense and surface temps are above freezing. It won't be long.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 09:22:35 PM »
Maybe a few of us should do some laps, say, next weekend?    :)

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 16
Total: 17