Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:12:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

13 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Driving shoes - learn me  (Read 7162 times)

kaho

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Driving shoes - learn me
« on: May 11, 2018, 04:55:35 PM »
Can anyone recommend me a place for some driving shoes?
I suppose "driving shoes" as a family of shoes can be quite a loose term.  I've driven on a pair of puma BMW shoes which the appearance suggests it's meant to drive with. However I found the bottom to be quite thick. They feel more like sneakers. I've also been driving with indoor running shoes which feels light but even thicker softer bottoms. Ironically, the one day when I drove (a semi-spirited drive to get groceries)with slippers it felt much better transferring the pedal feel to my feet. The lack of thickness of slippers seem to contributed to the improved feedback, and I know I could use a good pair of driving shoes.
Being my second season racing ever, I'm not ready to go all out on the most expensive shoes, but would like to know what are my choices and where would I go buy them.

Thanks in advance.

JamesTCallaghan

• If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
Re: Driving shoes - learn me
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »
I use a few different sets, Adidas Busenitz for daily driving which are medium thickness soles I’d say, some sparco shoes I bought in Vegas for $120USD (when the dollar was on par) for lapping and some auto x events, they are fairly thin soled and very narrow (important for some cars I drive), and I also have a pair of lightweight thin sole adidas dragons which are also somewhat narrow and very thin soled.

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 08:41:02 PM »
Right now I'm just using a cheap pair of athletic shoes with thin foam soles that I got from Payless. They're not these ones, but they're fundamentally similar.

Before those, I wore indoor soccer shoes like these ones, which were great.

Both were cheaper and better than road race boots like these ones (which cost a ton since they have to be fire-resistant, and which wear out super quickly if you walk around on them) or "driving shoes" like these ones, which are often designed for fashion first, and may not necessarily even have the thin, flexible soles that you want for driving.
Stephen Hui

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:25:50 PM »
I just use a regular set of runners, works great👍
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

Cagare

• Administrator
  • 2020 Club President
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 09:43:43 PM »
I use thin soles Pumas which are quite narrow. The indoor soccer shoes are also a great idea.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 10:09:27 PM »
Some of the sporting and shoe shops have "driving" shoes.  Usually around $100-120 that have a nice thin sole that gives you good feel.  I think that is the secret - look for a thin sole but also a relatively snug/tight fit so they do not shift around on your foot.

I see Sport Cheq has some Pilotis too ... go figure.  I think I bought a pair years ago at Forzanis (?) at Chinook Mall - upper level on the east side ... north of the food court ... whatever shoe store that was.

R

Bitters

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 08:02:35 PM »
I use piloti shoes which are nice for an everyday shoe but expensive. I also just bought some puma drift cat ultra 5s which are great and inexpensive.

kaho

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 04:46:39 PM »
Went into sport chek in market mall  (had the misadventure of dropping by for the dermatologist appointment, only to find out I'm a week ahead of the appointment :o) asked for driving shoes and they thought I was speaking Korean. The hunt will continue.

NickST

• Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 05:18:21 PM »
Some of the sporting and shoe shops have "driving" shoes.  Usually around $100-120 that have a nice thin sole that gives you good feel.  I think that is the secret - look for a thin sole but also a relatively snug/tight fit so they do not shift around on your foot.

I see Sport Cheq has some Pilotis too ... go figure.  I think I bought a pair years ago at Forzanis (?) at Chinook Mall - upper level on the east side ... north of the food court ... whatever shoe store that was.

R

All this time I thought the only criteria was that they were red for good luck! haha

I've seen some Ferrari shoes at stores once in a while, they are not nearly as expensive as I though they would be. Even on the site they are only $185 CAD. I have seen them for sale for a lot less.
https://store.ferrari.com/en-ca/sneakers_cod13331180552011454.html#dept=Shoes_M

Apex Carver

• Global Moderator
  • I Drive Like I'm New Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 09:33:44 AM »
Went into sport chek in market mall  (had the misadventure of dropping by for the dermatologist appointment, only to find out I'm a week ahead of the appointment :o) asked for driving shoes and they thought I was speaking Korean. The hunt will continue.

Sport Chek carries piloti but online only. If you wait for a friends and family sale (usually once or twice a year) you can get 25% off them which isnt a bad deal. I also have a set of Sparcos as well which i picked up from the border on my way to packwood last year and they are quite attractive price wise. However I prefer the Piloti's to the Pumas and Sparcos that i've used previously.

Chris S. #86

Tara

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 09:07:37 AM »
Converse shoes are my favourite to drive in - good edges for easy heel & toeing, but thin enough that there's plenty of feel. And cheap!

Ironically I absolutely hated Pumas, they're too rounded at the edge. In a car with pedals *just* close enough for me to heel and toe it meant slipping off the gas a few times while trying to blip and brake. And I can't stand the spongy feel of a runner/training shoe.
Driver of that weird Celica

Myz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »
I agree converse is a good, inexpensive route to go.
The sole is thin enough to deliver feedback & its comfy for use all day.
Even powerlifters & strongmen use them for the same reason

If you're quicker than your previous run, you're already a winner.
Apex Detailing|Golf 7R|Excalibur Performance

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 01:25:41 PM »
Converse shoes are my favourite to drive in - good edges for easy heel & toeing, but thin enough that there's plenty of feel. And cheap!

I think your definition of cheap and my definition don't have any common ground :)  My current driving (and everything else) shoes cost me $30 at Payless.

2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 02:15:11 PM »

I think your definition of cheap and my definition don't have any common ground :)  My current driving (and everything else) shoes cost me $30 at Payless.

Only a year, and already you are starting to sound like a retired guy!   Hahahahaha   :)

R

Tara

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »

Hey, Converse are only ~$50-$60 - that's dirt cheap by lady shoe standards! Especially compared to a purpose-built driving shoe.  ;)
Driver of that weird Celica

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13