Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:47:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

8 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 2015 San Diego Tour and El Toro Pro!  (Read 10604 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
2015 San Diego Tour and El Toro Pro!
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
San Diego is starting up on Friday March 20 (practice, registration etc) and the Tour on Sat./Sun. followed by the El Toro Pro Solo on the following weekend (Irvine - sort of SE corner of metro LA in Orange County).

There are a number of us planning to go - Jay, Ryan C, Tim, moi, Ashley, David G. and a future resident of Calgary - Stephen Hui from Seattle ... Did I miss anyone?

It's a great way to get an early start on the season!   :)

http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=8371

Reijo

James@SpecR

• That cone is still in the box!
  • WTB: Driving Skills
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 San Diego Tour and El Toro Pro!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 10:18:38 AM »
Good luck!

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 04:13:07 PM »
Good luck and have fun!  I made it once, and it was an incredible experience -- that venue is something else.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 04:26:16 PM »
I will be watching from here.  It's good to see that we are sending a good (and fast) group down this year.  Best of luck!

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 04:35:29 AM »
thanks all.....Quentin is on the road yesterday hauling Jay's (and Orieta, of course) SSM 'vette down ... was in Billings last night.  Work and other stuff has held me back since I wanted to "ideally" leave last night and make some ground but instead I am still at home early this morning with packing to do, sending out reports and trying to finish at least one report before I leave ... but truck and car is outside and I will be leaving fairly shortly.   :)

Plan was also to maybe meet tonight with Q at Mesquite, Nv....cheapest rooms on the way (about $23-24/night!)...about 1.5 hours north of Lost Vages.  I don't know if I can make that now ... will be too late leaving I "think" ... we'll see.

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 07:16:52 AM »
Caught up to Quentin and had breakfast with him in St. George's, Utah (almost in Nevada) ... he had a tire go bad yesterday and replaced two on the trailer .... I went most of the night just crashing temporarily at rest stops a couple of times ... about 7-8 hrs. to San Diego from here ... and will miss the LA rush hour ... which is important, of course!   :)

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 04:07:48 PM »
Good luck guys!
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 12:04:37 AM »
Well, we lost a diff this morning .... asked around and found an AP1 diff. about 20 minutes away ... picked it up ... and just got back from the site ... diff is in, tires changed, and Ashley runs in BSP first heat and then we run in the 2nd heat ... with Jay (SSM).  Look for streaming video and commentary on sololive.com

Time for bed ... very tired now ... have a few photos from today ... Did not get a course walk in yet ... no test 'n tune runs ... could not get new tires ... been a bit of a crazy day ... All a part of the "national" experience.  But also nice to see how all the people around here come together to help out their stricken friends....a good thing, definitely a good thing!  :)

Reijo

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 06:43:52 AM »
Well, we lost a diff this morning .... asked around and found an AP1 diff. about 20 minutes away ...

Didn't you guys have my AP1 diff with you?
2017 Miata (C Street)

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 05:46:21 PM »
Did that diff really last zero events?  Hopefully your luck turns around.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 11:15:10 AM »
Watching the live feed right now, and today's course must be a doozy.  Cones flying everywhere.  Reijo spun in his first run, and on his second run, got 6 cones.  His exhaust pipe was dragging on the ground when he came into the finish -- hope they can get it tied up in time.

David G was in the trophies yesterday (STF) -- congrats!

Edit: Jay just moved into the trophies -- congrats!
Edit: Jay got bumped down again; one spot out of the trophies :(
2017 Miata (C Street)

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 09:35:19 PM »
A huge congratulations to David G -- 2nd place trophy in a car he hasn't driven before.  Impressive.
2017 Miata (C Street)

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 12:29:46 AM »
Well done David, a trophy from a Tour event is a huge accomplishment!

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 09:22:13 PM »
The Tour and course was great....our tires not so much.   Tire Rack screwed us around and did not deliver the new tires so we ended up driving on dead Hoosiers (maybe 100 or so runs ... dead, dead, dead.....  It was ugly).   The tail was wandering around all over the place on Sunday morning ... which contributed to the spin....   After softening the rear shocks to the max and lowering rear tire pressure to 24 psi (instead of 29-30), I finally got enough grip to keep the rear end behind me and finished a clean run ... ugh.   Dead tires are no way to even bother to try and keep up with the likes of Steve O'Blenes (with whom I co-drove his A-Mod in 2008 ... and also a member of the "many jackets" club ... and Anthony Porta who won.   Steve was saying old tires were about 2-2.5 sec. at San Diego so that would have put us in the running.   We'll see.  We finished finalizing the new Hoosier order last week and today ... shipped today and should arrive here on Thursday or so ... in time for Friday to mount and run Sat./Sun. at the Pro  (Many thanks to Hoosier Tom (Reichel) from Atlantic Motorsports for coming to the rescue!).

We can now see how we do against Steve and Anthony at El Toro (we brought the car there this morning and parked it for the week).  I trust the handling will be better.   :)

In the meanwhile the weather is just beautiful here ... .shorts, of course, ... was just out on the Huntington Beach pier this evening ... got a few great photos ... will post on FB.   

Cheers,

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 09:28:11 PM »
David did really well co-driving with Mike Heinitz, of San Diego, ... who is definitely a National-level competitor and has placed at least 2nd at the Nationals in the past ...perhaps twice that I know of......don't recall off-hand whether he has won ... but, hey, 2nd place says a bunch too!

Poor Ashley had zero time in an S2k before jumping into our monster BSP car on dead tires however she kept it in shape for the most part and progressively sped up during the weekend ... more to come.

David will be co-driving with V-Q in his XP 240SX ... which will be exciting I am sure!  Ashley will also be returning to drive the S2k.   Jay/Orieta's 'vette was parked at El Toro we noticed this morning so there will be 6 Calgary reps there on this coming weekend ... which is pretty cool!   :)

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8