Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:57:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: New RASE schools.  (Read 7762 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
New RASE schools.
« on: May 15, 2018, 01:45:16 PM »
With the government of Canada imposing every-increasing fees, facing the danger of being turned away at the border every time and the additional cost of the lot in Calgary (over FM), the SoloPro Schools were starting to look rather expensive (>$400 and perhaps approaching $500).  Last year we paid $375 per person for the schools in FM and they are still a good deal for the money.

Anyway, it was not looking good so I thought, as an alternative, it would be an excellent time to launch a new set of professional schools that I have been working on for over 10 years (about time, eh?).  The schools feature ideas that I have scribbling down literally for over 10 years - better course designs, better methods of running the schools, more of the mental game, and cross-over experience from other sports (who knows, maybe we'll practice proper punching technique from karate or a strangling technique from judo/wrestling in order to get a strangle hold on a trophy!?  ;)  ).  In fact, I like to think of these as "Training Camps for Autox" and they may feature other speakers etc. or sometimes even independent seminars about, say, car setup or go-fast pieces, tuning, 'chargers, etc.  The possibilities are literally endless. 

However, these first ones will concentrate on driving - wherever you are at.  Although truthfully these are not novice schools and some experience beforehand would be best and absolutely necessary for the upper "camps".  More to come on this - 10 years is a long time to focus on this before launching.

The new schools are designed in particular for our members to advance rapidly to be able to drive and achieve success at, not only Canadian National level competition (we are planning to host the Cdn Nationals next year btw), SCCA National-level Tours, Pros and Nationals.  However, foremost, the training is intended to make us all as good as we can hope to become; to reach our fullest possible potential.  Of course, this is important even for the local autoxer who wants to do better!  Why practice mistakes?  Why not learn proper techniques to work on right from the get-go and start practicing proper technique which will inevitably lead to faster times in the long run?  Even in local competition you will be further ahead of the game and we have some very, very fast locals as you probably know!

I have recruited locals, Cam Withell and Murray Peterson to help out since they are accomplished drivers and have taken many schools (I think Murray has the record!   :)  ) between them as well as helped out with previous SoloPro schools among others.  Both have trophied at SCCA National-level events which is no mean feat!  They know what it takes to get there which is important!  We will also be working on some new teaching techniques to better teach driving skills and get ideas across in an understandable manner.

I will open up MSReg for fully-refundable $100 deposits with a limit of 18 per school and a total cost per day of $275 which includes a (working) lunch.  If we need more instructors we will arrange to get them as per need.

What you will get: 

1.  Serious seat time on a full-sized/SCCA style course layout
2.  6:1 student/instructor ratio or less which results in a substantial time and undivided attention to your driving by our National-level instructors (something you cannot or rarely get at a local school).
3.  Intensity of practice and drills to stretch your limits.
4.  Unique course designs specifically designed to maximize your potential at future events.
5.  You WILL be faster at the end of each day and will have plenty to work on for the near future.

I never took a school (even with over 20 years experience) that I did not learn something!  And I trust this will be the case for all of you!

To begin with we will hold spots for only "approved members" and then in 2 days open it up to the general public.  So sign up now.

The events will take place on June 2 and June 3 at the YYC/Budget lot in Calgary (so no hotels or travel for locals and hence a cost saving!).

You may sign up to hold a spot here:

http://msreg.com/raseschool

Bitters

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Re: New RASE schools.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 02:15:00 PM »
Thanks, Reijo. So to clarify, will the final cost be $550 for both days ($275 per day)?

On msreg, there is a C1 and C2 option for the $100 deposit, do you need to put $100 per day down to guarantee a spot on both days?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 02:47:08 PM »
Good questions!

Yes, $100 deposit for each day - $200 total.

The school costs are $275 per day (which I think was the cost of the first Evo Schools we had here in 2001! ) for a total of $550 for both days.

We will do the final costs via e-transfer or check to save MSReg fees.

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 03:05:54 PM »
We have our first couple of entries for both days ... 16 spots open and counting.

Note that in case there are not sufficient entries we will offer a full refund and possibly cancel one day and make the other a practice, T'NT or something like that.

But hopefully we can keep this trend of upper end schools going that goes back to 2001 locally. 

And, of course, in the words of Warren Miller, "If you don't do it this year, you'll just be one year older when you do."

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 03:36:04 PM »

Note that in case there are not sufficient entries we will offer a full refund and possibly cancel one day and make the other a practice, T'NT or something like that.

Friday, May 25th we will make the call as to whether or not we have enough interest (deposits) in order for the school to be financially feasible.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Burninator

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 11:00:03 PM »
msreg won't let the registration go through, or is there something to be done to become approved?
Hey it's Kane

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 11:10:27 PM »
msreg won't let the registration go through, or is there something to be done to become approved?

May I have your name?  I'll change the setting in MSReg if you have used it before.

r

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 11:15:28 PM »
Actually no problem, Kane.  You should be good to go now.

R

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 02:20:39 PM »
8 of 18 spots each day are spoken for.

If we were going to get over 18, I spoke with Jeff Janzen of Winnipeg to come and help us and he is willing.  However they are due for their 2nd boy right on June 3!  So congrats to them!  Of course, I suggested that they have pills to induce these things in a pinch.   :)    LOL

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 04:09:19 PM »
Something to consider:  You will get close to a season's worth of runs in (and moreso here due to the lot size and being able to send out cars more frequently) during the school ... and more than 1/2 the runs with an international-level instructor beside you giving you tips and demonstrations.  That is really good concentrated learning time. 

I remember the first time I took 2 days of schooling in at Red Deer with the Evo Schools we had a way back when.  Driving on the street on Sunday night felt quite different and I had to watch the gas pedal because everyone was going "so slow"!  You just get sort used to frantic pace after a lot of time spent over the weekend on the course.  Seat time is always important.   :)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 11:05:49 PM »
So what's different about these schools?

Well, one of the "things" I did not particularly care for in the other schools was the "tightness" of some of the elements.  You won't see that here.  These course designs will more reflect "real world" solo, national-level course elements (US/SCCA and Canadian).  Some will be tricky to be sure.  After all, if you can master the difficult elements, surely you can do just fine in the "simpler" elements!  :)

There is some change in perspective as a result of what I have seen in schools I have taught and particularly the winter schools.  It has been remarkable to see what works and what does not ... a great learning experience even for me for that matter.

Hence, the first school, C1, will deal with the "feel" of the car ... of the tires, brakes, steering, suspension/lean ... and you even!  I noticed people in the winter schools really responded well to this approach.  Yes, we cover the basics but perhaps in a bit more detail to ensure we have them right!  What's the difference between the middle of the pack and the very top?  Three words folks:  "Attention to detail".  Those "little" things actually make a shockingly huge difference!  You gotta get it "right"!  Or at least more right than the rest of the class!   :)

C2, of course, will build upon the basics after reviewing the C1 material very quickly and for the benefit of those who did not take the first class.  We'll dig more specifically into more detail on the "little" things.  You know.  Those things that separate the middle of the pack (and that is a very fat area if you will) from the very top.  We'll work on being even MORE precise, closer to the cones and closer to the limit (without going over, of course!).  And, of course, why would you want to do that?  We'll talk.  :)

that's enough for now.  It's getting late ..... good nite!

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »
We have 9 in C1 and 11 in C2 right now.  Full schools would be 12 each with 2 instructors.  I have made a cut-off at 12 each right now and waitlist after that.  If we get enough people beyond that, we'll add another instructor.  This seems the best way to do this.  I think we have one entry pending in each, so really we have 2 spots in C1 available at this point and then a waitlist.

So be diligent if you want to take one or both of these schools!

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 06:01:59 PM »
We have one spot left in C1 and C2 is full. However we are taking a wait-list so if you are still interested, get your name on MSReg and if we get enough people (4 more), we will get another instructor and open up the spots (max. of 18 in that case).

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 10:59:51 PM »
Both schools are full and there is 1 on the waitlist for C2.  If we get 4 more for the C1 and 3 more for the C2, we can open up 6 more spots for each by adding another instructor.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 10:03:46 PM »
Another waitlist for each school.

Looking for 3 more and 2 more respectively.

R

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10