Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:58:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Regional event clarification for this coming weekend at YYC.  (Read 2805 times)

Robp201

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Hey just wanted to be sure that ride alongs are still ok to anyone who has not entered the event correct? I fully understand not letting another competitior do ride alongs but it is  still ok for spectators or guests to go for rides?

Thanks

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
Re: Regional event clarification for this coming weekend at YYC.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »
The general rule for no ride-alongs is quite strict -- no ride-alongs with any driver, no matter who the passenger may be.

2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 12:13:54 AM »
Confirm no ride-alongs for regions, nationals nor any SCCA Tours, Pros and Nationals.... a given.

This is quite normal.

However once the "official" runs are done....I'm suggesting we do them in the first set, then after that all runs are "fun" runs and passengers are ok.

Bitters

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 07:52:56 AM »
Are we allowing first-timers to have ride alongs still?

John in Calgary

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 09:11:50 AM »

I'll second this - not sure if Neil cornered you (Reijo) to discuss last night at the car collection, he'll be a first timer on Saturday and I'm going to hop in with him in the morning (I'm not driving this weekend).

Thanks, John

kaho

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:15:09 PM »
Does every car need to be RE-tech'ed again for bigger events like this one?

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 01:24:27 PM »
We're looking into whether or not non-competitors can go for ride-a-longs, especially with novices, please stand by.

Does every car need to be RE-tech'ed again for bigger events like this one?

No, your tech inspection is valid for the season.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Midnightsky

• :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 03:08:39 PM »

I'll second this - not sure if Neil cornered you (Reijo) to discuss last night at the car collection, he'll be a first timer on Saturday and I'm going to hop in with him in the morning (I'm not driving this weekend).

Thanks, John

I see 4 options here,

Option 1) No ride along, new driver gets lost many times and eats up valuable run time for others.  Life goes on.

Option 2) First timers are denied entry to regional events because its a fast paced day and adding a first timer would create extra delays and potential problems that at a normal event wouldn't be as big of an issue.  Tough but fair.

Option 3) Allow a ride along pending said passenger has experience and is also not running that weekend.  Any said points acquired by this individual would be forfeit the moment you take a passenger as no times would be entered into scoring. 

Option 4) First timers at a regional event will only compete in the afternoon and would have to marshal all morning.  Advantages would be the ability to see the course from 2 different marshal positions. As well more back to back seat time allowing them to get more comfortable more quickly and all during the afternoon fun runs. Marshal change over would be ample time for their vehicle and tires ect to cool down. 

Option 4 is probably not a popular choice, but has the ability to become beneficial.  Option 3 seems like a fair option all around, if its their absolute first time ever doing autocross then points won't matter anyway.
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

Sprockett

• Global Moderator
  • My cars = For Sale
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 03:35:54 PM »
Option #5

Allow first timers as passengers.

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 03:57:09 PM »
its a fast paced day and adding a first timer would create extra delays and potential problems that at a normal event wouldn't be as big of an issue. 

I get the idea in theory, but at least in this instance, the events aren't looking that big -- right now there are only 57 people signed up for Saturday, and 67 signed up for Sunday.
Stephen Hui

midship

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
  • may the g-force be with you ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 04:02:51 PM »
Can I forfeit my regional point but scores as club points and take a passenger(s)?

I would like to see my time(s) in the result instead of DNFs.
Ambrose

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 04:10:06 PM »
Can I forfeit my regional point but scores as club points and take a passenger(s)?

I would like to see my time(s) in the result instead of DNFs.

I guess it is possible, but it's not easy, and probably quite error prone.

2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 07:09:34 PM »
its a fast paced day and adding a first timer would create extra delays and potential problems that at a normal event wouldn't be as big of an issue. 

I get the idea in theory, but at least in this instance, the events aren't looking that big -- right now there are only 57 people signed up for Saturday, and 67 signed up for Sunday.

This is true
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

Bitters

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
WCMA Series Detail?
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 08:14:03 AM »
With this weekend being the first (I think) WCMA regional event, I was wondering if anyone had any details on what's going on with the series this year. From what I've gathered, we have the two events in Calgary and the one event in Red Deer on July 29th. There doesn't seem to be any more information on the WCMA website or forum.

Are there any other WCMA regional events besides those noted above?
Do the points mean anything this year (are there any prizes similar to previous years)?
If so, do we compete within classes or on PAX?
What are the requirements to qualify for the series - is it just doing the two days in Calgary and one day in Red Deer?

Dr Dave

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
Re: WCMA Series Detail?
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 11:40:51 AM »
I had the same questions Bitters. I know Reijo just recently got involved as the SOLO director for WCMA so I know we got the right guy doing the job, and know things will only get better with his involvement, but I think he got into it a little late for this year to go exactly as he’d like. Nothing like being thrown into the fire, but better him than one of us eh, lol.

I’ve just gotten back into the sport in the last few years. I raced all through the 1980s and winning a Western Canadian class championship or overall title was a big deal back then. I think it still should be, its one championship we have some control over, plus no matter where in AB, SK and MB the race(s) are held the travel is doable. I hope other’s still feel having a WCMA championship is worth doing. For next year I’d love to see a schedule of race dates and locations for the WCMA Championship posted by May 1 so I could plan my summer around them.

Hopefully there will be good attendance at the WCMA AGM in October and we can discuss this with other clubs/WCMA members, I’m sure Reijo would welcome the input and help.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10