Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:37:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

14 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: LSCC Club Promotion  (Read 1924 times)

Canuck

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
LSCC Club Promotion
« on: August 01, 2018, 08:47:45 AM »
Instead of cluttering up the thread discussing the continued viability of Fort Macleod with a discussion about what's wrong with the LSCC Club (I'm VP), I thought I'd start another thread to see if I could get some advice.  As most of you know, we started back racing at Fort Macleod after a few years of dormancy when we lost the local Exhibition Ground site.  This is our second year hosting events at the Fort Macleod airport and we're suffering.  Few people are coming out, we're on MSReg and we advertise primarily on social media.

We were hoping that SASC members from Calgary would come down and join in the fun on the weekends when we're out at Fort Macleod.  I'm not on this board very often, so we haven't posted our events here.

What I'm looking for is ideas on how to do a little promotion of our events.

Things I know we need:
1. Local venue - probably solve all our problems if we could get something in the city - also not very likely.
2. Better attention to forum/facebook and other social media.

Not sure of what else might work - so I'm appealing to the knowledge base here. 
1981 Volvo 242 GLT
1966 Volvo 122 (long term project)

nnywg

• :|
  • My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
Re: LSCC Club Promotion
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 09:29:19 AM »
Does Lethbridge's Street Machines weekend have any opportunity for booths etc?  I think that's already passed for this year but might be the most visual way to get in front of a lot of local car people at the same time.  Facebook is kindof dying, at least with younger people; it's pretty awful for a whole bunch of reasons.
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Cagare

• Administrator
  • 2020 Club President
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 12:31:52 PM »
I would say publishing your annual schedule as soon as you know it at the beginning of the year as many places as possible. Then regularly paying attention to social media and others.

This forum is important to target, but you should also consider posting to beyond, western Subaru club and so on.

I honestly only see when your events are occasionally. If I would have known at the beginning of the season that you were doing Saturday events before our Sunday event then I probably would have planned to stay in Fort MacLeod a few weekends and attend both events in a weekend.

A local venue is important, agreed. I think the focus should start with regularly putting it out there when you have events.

Another idea that worked well was creating a Facebook event for each event and inviting people you know have participated before or your group page members. You could do the same through email using your motorsportreg account. Get their attention and you will likely have increased numbers.

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 03:04:44 PM »
Does Lethbridge's Street Machines weekend have any opportunity for booths etc?  I think that's already passed for this year but might be the most visual way to get in front of a lot of local car people at the same time.  Facebook is kindof dying, at least with younger people; it's pretty awful for a whole bunch of reasons.

I've never seen a booth...where do you suggest if Facebook is not young person friendly?  I'll post the remaining dates on this forum as well as continue what we're doing now. 
1981 Volvo 242 GLT
1966 Volvo 122 (long term project)

nnywg

• My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 04:19:01 PM »
...where do you suggest if Facebook is not young person friendly?

I don't have the answers on that.  Instagram seems to be the preferred social media at the moment, mainly because so much less garbage is forced on to your feed.  But that's a problem for you if you're trying to advertise.  People pretty much need to be following your account to get any information you are publishing. 
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Shifting gears

• If it ain’t broke, modify it anyway
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 05:24:58 PM »
Allow me to give my opinion as a newbie.
I was present for Reijo's school last Friday and my son and I both attended the Saturday event.
We originally built a Spec Miata to get the "street racing" mentality out of our 2 younger boys.
We were almost done the build when my youngest attended a small show n shine and saw a tech sticker and ask the guy about it. This was the first either of us ever heard of Autocross. We did some research on it and came to the conclusion this was an absolute perfect platform to get the "street racing " out of our boys.
My youngest absolutely loved his first event on Saturday as Reijo, Tom and a bunch of the regulars sort of took him under their wing to help him understand the sport more(much appreciated).
I do agree it is all about exposure/advertising,(show n shines, mechanic shop advertising...) and my thought as a father a 2 boys heavily involved in cars and as an ex oval racer that autocross is a fantastic platform to keep our kids off the streets and in a more controlled environment for the safety of everyone.
Not to mention the driving skills they can learn.
 I bring up and promote Autocross whenever I'm around my old oval buddies as they have similar concerns with their kids and road racing.
Sorry for the long rant, but as I stated its all about getting it out there as not too many people even know what autocross is, but I'am extremely glad my family is now involved, just wish we had heard of it earlier.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14