Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:25:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

16 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: What class should I be in?  (Read 3696 times)

William

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
What class should I be in?
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:33:20 AM »
Hey everyone. I’m new here and have been to one race school. I’ve been reading through the rules but it doesn’t make complete sense to me yet. I’m trying to figure out what class I should be in...I’m thinking SP but not sure what sub class. Maybe C or D or my instructor suggested perhaps F. My car is a 82 Fiat 124 Spyder with a 79 carbureted 2.0L engine rather than the fuel injected model. I also put pistons and a head from an older model to get the higher compression from the 1.8L’s. I have a racing cam and carb installed. I’ve also lowered the car 1” and added a rear sway bar. The original tire size is 185/70R13 but I am running a 205/60R13. I need new tires but the only ones made in that size that I can afford are Toyo RA1’s with a UTQG of 100. They are race and autocross only so can I use those? Thanks for your help everyone! Sincerely William the newbie. 👍
1982 Fiat 124 Spyder 2.0L

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: What class should I be in?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »
Cam and internal engine work puts you into a prepared class ... DP I believe.  You can also choose DM but that would be even more uncompetitive on PAX.

Need to look into this a bit further ... SSM is a possibility also but don't remember the Fiat in there.

Wayne Dyck

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • "If You Wait, All That Happens is You Get Older"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 02:14:50 PM »
Review the SCCA rules closely for HCR. I believe your 1982 falls within the ‘same generation as 1974’ ruling. HCR rules are fairly liberal.
https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/015/312/2016_Heritage_Classic_Rules.pdf?1464904752
#180 DS
"For the money, for the glory, for the fun... but mostly for the fun."

William

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 09:08:20 PM »
Reijo.  I looked into my cam and it is stock from a 1.8L earlier engine. I did find my Fiat in the DP class. For the SSM my car is a 2+2 seater so that wont work.

Wayne. The HCR seems a good fit if I fall into the "same generation" rule. That class would help me be competitive with older cars. It will be hard to compete with newer model cars.

Tom M

• I'm New Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 04:47:15 AM »
should fall into HC , same model 1966-1985

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_124_Sport_Spider

William

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 11:01:41 AM »
Yes Tom. The only changes from 66-85 where engine size (1.6-1.8-2.0). The rear end carrier changed around 1980. How do I go about confirming the class I am in so I know what changes I am allowed to do?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 01:51:25 PM »
Yes Tom. The only changes from 66-85 where engine size (1.6-1.8-2.0). The rear end carrier changed around 1980. How do I go about confirming the class I am in so I know what changes I am allowed to do?

Looks like you would fit into HCS - Heritage Classic Street.   Read through the rules (2 pages -  not many rules) that Wayne provided a link for above.

William

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 02:04:51 PM »
Wheel  and  Tire Allowances
•  Any metallic wheels  are allowed.   
•  Any DOT‐approved  tires with  a UTQG  Treadwear  Grade  of  200 or  higher  are  permitted.   Tires must  also meet  other  requirements  in Section 13.3 of  the  Solo  rules.

The only thing that worries me is tires. I currently run 13” rims and the only R value tires available in my size have a UTQG of 40 or 100. The rules in HC says it has to be 200.

Tom M

• I'm New Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 02:32:42 PM »
2 HC classes , HCS and HCR , 200+ TW tires for HCS and 199 or less TW for HCR , but some engine or body mods could put you in HCR even with a 200+ TW tire , Wayne's link gives the details for each class and you just need to make sure any mods on your car meet the rules

William

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 03:52:41 PM »
From reading each class, as far as tires I believe my car can run in HCS as long as I upgrade to a 15” rim so I can get a tire with a 200 treadwear. Or I can run in the HCR class if I stick with my 13” rim and get 100 treadwear tires.

In regards to my engine, HCS states I have to use OE intake. I have an engine out of a 79 that is carbureted. My car originally had a FI model in it. So does that disqualify me from that class? But it also says " Engine may be updated to any available from the manufacturer for that model through its generations". So than am I okay??? My car is street legal so I would like to stay in the HRS class

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 03:59:10 PM »
From reading each class, as far as tires I believe my car can run in HCS as long as I upgrade to a 15” rim so I can get a tire with a 200 treadwear. Or I can run in the HCR class if I stick with my 13” rim and get 100 treadwear tires.

In regards to my engine, HCS states I have to use OE intake. I have an engine out of a 79 that is carbureted. My car originally had a FI model in it. So does that disqualify me from that class?

Thanks again everyone for your help.
Engine may be updated to any available from the manufacturer for that model through its generations. EXAMPLE: a 1275 cc engine from a late model Sprite/Midget may be used in a Bugeye Sprite, however, a Spitfire or MGB motor would NOT be allowed
• Engine must be externally stock appearing, with engine internals unrestricted.
• Intake system must be same type as OE (fuel injection or carbs), but individual components (intake manifold, carbs, injectors, controllers, etc.) are unrestricted.

I think you are good.

You're welcome!

Reijo

William

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 04:08:28 PM »
Yes. I would like to stay in the HCS as I think that will be easier as a newbie. I just need to get a tire with 200 treadwear. I am going to have to upgrade to RE71's in a 205/50R15 or BFG rivals.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 04:18:18 PM »
Yes. I would like to stay in the HCS as I think that will be easier as a newbie. I just need to get a tire with 200 treadwear which means I'm going to have to buy 15" rims. Than I can get RE71's in a 205/50R15 or BFG rivals.

You can probably find some used ones for a lot cheaper if you know the bolt pattern and offset that will work (or range thereof).  I don't think it's worth buying, say, a new set of Panasports ... which are nice ... but ...

You could maybe also use 14" sizes ...

And https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+ZIII

R

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16