Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:05:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

21 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Site suggestions thread  (Read 1063 times)

99GLS21

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
  • What cones?
    • View Profile
Re: Site suggestions thread
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2018, 04:21:25 PM »
I used to run the Corvettes Unlimited slaloms at Stoney Nakoda - yes on the smaller size but the issue was the parking lot is too small for all the gamblers and hotel guests on a Friday or Saturday night., so on Saturday am or Sunday am there were always cars parked on the course despite their best efforts to flag it off etc and became such a hassle to the hotel that they advised us they didn't want us anymore and that was 2013. It was a great deal - free, if we went into their $19.95 buffet at lunch which we did.  We held about 6 events a year there - not sure much as changed except it has got busier.

nnywg

• :|
  • My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 04:35:39 PM »
Stettler is no further from my place than Ft. Macleod for what it's worth.  Cardston is considerably further.  That said all three are really just too far for me to bother unfortunately, but that's my personal feeling/situation.

A few years back in talking to the CSCC, I suggested seeing if there would be some way to partner up with the Calgary West Soccer Center.  Theory being that they currently have a undeveloped, flat gravel lot which is largely clear of posts, concrete, landscaping etc.  Location is tucked away on an industrial road beside the train tracks, but in the city and on the ring road.  I ran the math on sound-decay to the nearest houses and it gets down to background-noise levels.  They have a lot more land than what the lot currently occupies so a larger space could be paved.  I would presume that their busy season is the winter while Sundays during the summer might be quiet while people are playing on outdoor fields.  A lot of conjecture, but finding and existing paved lot within city limits is quite probably unattainable.  Paving is expensive, but the club is a registered non-profit with a financial track-record. 
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2018, 07:14:52 PM »
Back in about 2010, Jay, Ambrose et al went to Claresholm and did an entire "dog and pony show" c/w power point presentation etc. to apply for use of the air strip there for solo events.  I heard they were passing a bylaw preventing any motorsports on the runway at the time.  Apparently the attitude has not changed:   
https://claresholmlocalpress.ca/2018/m-d-of-willow-creek-shuts-down-all-sports-at-claresholm-airport/

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2018, 07:16:16 PM »
I'm sure there are nice people in Claresholm and even some who would support us but the people in charge there currently do not seemingly want anything to do with us.  I'm not entirely sure why that is.

Incidentally, the CSCC used to host road races at the Claresholm Airport back in the early to mid '60's so they were not always like this.

Hence, for the time being, although I like to support locals and such, I cannot support that kind of attitude toward us as a club and as a sporting body.  They were quite hostile toward us and, hence, I don't know if anyone has noticed but I NEVER stop for anything in Claresholm .. nada .. nothing.  This is why.  I cannot in good concience support that kind of attitude.  If there is a change in attitude, I'd be happy to support their local businesses again.  There is a nice way to say "no" as well.

As for Fort Macleod, I buy all my gas, food, coffee etc. there.  I want to support those who support us!   :)

Ryan S

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »
Did some driving around the SE end of town on my lunch, any large lot that is paved, either has semi trailers in it because it is a logistics company or loading dock, or has too many curbs and lamp posts/plug in posts to be useful.  Based on a bunch of looking using google maps satellite view, we are going to be hard pressed to find something that will work within city limits.

I think the Spruce Meadows suggestion is a good one, but this will depend on their willingness of course, and they are quite busy through several weekends every summer.

Tara

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 01:09:07 PM »
Ryan did some looking around, spotted a possible location owned (or leased, we can easily find out) by Hansen's Forwarding. It's just off Ogden Road, near Glenmore. One issue is the pavement doesn't look like it's in great shape when I zoom in. Not sure if the company would be amenable to renting the space.

I've included an image of the YYC lot for comparison.

Current YYC lot:

Ogden:
Driver of that weird Celica

Tara

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 01:10:29 PM »
One thing to consider would be to put together a nice package with our rental proposal - that's something I could help with.

A piece like that would help us look like we've got it together, help deal with any reservations potential landlords could have with allowing a racing group to use their property.

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2018, 02:50:09 PM »
Ryan did some looking around, spotted a possible location owned (or leased, we can easily find out) by Hansen's Forwarding.

One thing to consider would be to put together a nice package with our rental proposal - that's something I could help with.

We're way ahead of you on both fronts. :)

If you have any specific suggestions for the rental proposal, please let me know offline (PM or my first and last names @live.com).
Stephen Hui

Ryan S

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2018, 03:02:55 PM »
Tara manages an Alberta wide corporate marketing team, I would suggest tapping her to help look at whatever proposal you are developing, at the very least.

Tara

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2018, 03:18:59 PM »
Emailed!

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571