Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:15:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

11 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 2019 Solo Venues  (Read 525 times)

Cagare

• Administrator
  • :|
  • 2020 Club President
    • View Profile
2019 Solo Venues
« on: January 11, 2019, 11:38:57 AM »
TL:DR

We will continue to use budget lot (YYC) in the early part of this season. Similar amount of events at Fort MacLeod this year as last. Potentially a third venue this year, but not solid yet as we need to meet with land owner.

Ask questions below.

Full Post

I wanted to start a separate topic on this. Some of you will have noticed that as part of January agenda we had discussion around venues and our 2019 schedule along with our application to Fort MacLeod for use of the airport.

I want to continue to share this information because I would rather our members stay well informed. At the same time I realize there wasn't enough context in the agenda to explain our thoughts on this. I thought I would try to provide and allow for an open discussion on this.

Currently we have a few people working extremely hard to obtain new venues. We've made some progress. We will be meeting with the owner of a potential venue (not in Calgary) late in January, and hopefully we are able to secure some usable space. Outside of that we have several other leads that are being chased, but nothing as positive as that. There has been a considerable amount of effort put towards this so far and continues to be.

The budget lot (YYC) will likely, based on inside information we have been able to obtain, continue to be available to us through the end of June, but we won't know until weeks before we host an event.

So, with that information we wanted to be a bit more aggressive in how many events we hosted at Fort MacLeod, just so we had some contingency on our season. So, the application that is in the drive folder under the minutes is super aggressive and we likely won't get all those days. What will likely happen is that we will be using YYC heavily until we can no longer while hosting the same amount of events we have in past years at Fort MacLeod. If the third venue works out we will be hosting a handful of events there also spread over the summer.

So, we anticipate this season to be similar to last season in the amount of events we host. Hopefully with three venues where we can sprinkle events around. A tentative schedule will likely be out in February, and firmed up a bit later on.

Any questions/discussions on venue or schedule you can put below. I will be starting a separate thread for questions on any other topic.

Sprockett

• Global Moderator
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • My cars = For Sale
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Solo Venues
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 02:56:42 PM »
I was extremely happy to read the first sentence of this thread but luckily read the rest. Now I'm so confused I have to clarify. Have we confirmed any venue in Alberta for 2019? If the answer is no, I'm unsure the reason for this update?

Wayne Dyck

• 2020 Member
  • "If You Wait, All That Happens is You Get Older"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 04:44:29 PM »
Ryan,  I think if you read between the lines a bit...

Budget YYC... availability likely for early year, short notice cancellation
Ft Macleod... application for use submitted, request for similar number of events there as last year, no reason to suspect denial
3rd Venue... this is a work in progress, hopefully to bear fruit
#180 DS
"For the money, for the glory, for the fun... but mostly for the fun."

Cagare

• Administrator
  • 2020 Club President
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 05:29:56 PM »
Thanks Wayne for clarifying that post. That’s basically it.

jopete

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 12:06:04 PM »
Has Fort Macleod relaxed their "one event per month" rule?
Jo Peterson
2017 Mazda MX-5 GS red, #105

Cagare

• Administrator
  • 2020 Club President
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 12:12:04 PM »

Unfortunately no. We have requested more than we did last year though. It seems possible we will get the dates we requested.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 01:54:44 PM »

Unfortunately no. We have requested more than we did last year though. It seems possible we will get the dates we requested.

I don't know if this is true anymore.  I seem to remember hearing the other year that they got away from that "rule".

Also they were renting the facility out to other clubs on other weekends (drag racers for one ... but they won't be allowed back due to damage to the asphalt for one thing ... maybe other reasons?).

And there were also some other events there that I knew of ... So I think this is something to check on and confirm. 

Cagare

• Administrator
  • 2020 Club President
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 02:17:20 PM »
I have already confirmed with them and submitted our application. They no longer rent to the drag racers as they told me. It’s just us and LSCC now.

There is no “rule” but the approval is up to the development officer, as the final decision is with them according to the local bylaw.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 06:38:46 AM »
I have already confirmed with them and submitted our application. They no longer rent to the drag racers as they told me. It’s just us and LSCC now.

There is no “rule” but the approval is up to the development officer, as the final decision is with them according to the local bylaw.

Note that they have rented to movie crews and others in the past as well which are not regular scheduled events ...

Reijo

Cagare

• Administrator
  • 2020 Club President
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 02:48:58 PM »
Most recent update is that we have spoken to YYC Budget lot and we can only book the venue two weeks in advance of the event at most. Registration for any YYC events will probably come up between 7-10 days of the event. We are submitting our tentative schedule to them as they have had many inquiries to rent the lot and we want to ensure we lock down the days, even if we only get that much notice.

In terms of the construction, they were just on-site drilling boreholes for soil conditions, meaning they are still in the middle of design. No firm start date for construction and the property has yet to change hands away from budget.

So, YYC Budget is more than pleased to keep renting to us, but we can only book a few weeks in advance of the actual event.

The westerner is confirmed for 2 days this year only as well, we just need to sign the agreement.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 04:08:43 PM »
thanks for the update, Adam.   The season is coming together and hopefully with some new venues!   :)

Cagare

• Administrator
  • 2020 Club President
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 09:11:13 AM »
I will try to keep this brief. At our club meeting last night we discussed the loss of YYC as a venue for this year. The events at YYC have been removed from our schedule and we are currently attempting to add an extra date or two at the Westerner but we need to firm up our schedule within the week so that we know what the championship looks like.

Richard went into detail on this and I will try to provide a small amount of detail. The land sale between the current lot owner and City has been finalized but the deal does is likely not to close till August at which point the owner/budget needs to vacate the premises. There is a dispute on some conditions regarding this deal so the owner/budget is not renting the site to anyone while this is ongoing. We have had very positive discussions about renting the lot from the City once they own it, but these conditions need to clear for them to take ownership. This is unfortunate timing for us as each group is favourable to renting but not willing to do so in the middle of the dispute.

There is a larger discussion around this with the City of Calgary which I will post in a separate topic.

If there are concerns regarding this news please don't hesitate to PM me here or contact me if you have my other contact info.

Type_Yarr

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 04:41:23 PM »
I'll just add that although both Budget and the City were positive towards renting to us for this year, the land ownership transfer has now been completed through expropriation. This means Budget is no longer the owner and can no longer rent to us.

Unfortunately, due the fact that the previous owner is objecting to the expropriation, under the Expropriation Act of Alberta, the City is not legally allowed to do anything other than surveys on the land until the predetermined possession date. In this case it prevents the new owner (the City) from renting to us as well.

This is disappointing news, but the Club will continue to engage both Budget and the City in the search for venues.

Richard B

Cagare

• Administrator
  • 2020 Club President
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 11:56:21 PM »
New venue in the works, see here:

http://forums.sascsolo.com/index.php?topic=1342.0

Pat S

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 06:38:34 PM »
Was just at the airport, the billboard on the lot is advertising outdoor rentals “contact events@steinbock.ca”. I don’t remember seeing it before, is that new?
Pat #8
'89 GMC C1500, '09 Honda Fit

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0