Forum > Driving Discussion

would like some opinions on my miata.

(1/4) > >>

Dirtyspoons:
hey so i'm building me a STS miata and i don't really want to be putting any extra KM On the race tires (re71r's0 when driving to and from events. and i can't really fit the 4 extra tires in the trunk... would you recommend buying a trunk rack? install a hitch and PULL a trailer or even a trailer mount cargo thing?... i think i know where i can get a hitch for the car, so i was leaning to the hitch cargo carrier with a 500lb max...

i don't know... other than getting a friend to haul my tires for me or swap them on before i leave for the event. but even then i don't want to put 100+k worth of highway on the tires and kill them before the season is over.

what do the wizards of the sport have to say?

thanks  for any help

nnywg:
There's mini-trailers that people use for this - Princess Boutique, Harbour Freight etc.  Personally that's the route I would take.  They're under $500, keeps the cantilevered loads off your stiff/racey suspension, and requires no mods to the actual car like a cargo rack would. 

First google result - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TekHx939Qf8

Reijo:
I pulled a small enclosed, custom-built trailer for many years with my Miata and S2000 ... extra room for tool box and other items as well!    Actually I am thinking of selling it since I do not need it right now.  INterested?  It has independent Honda Acccord suspension and handles really well even around corners ... very low ... sometimes have to look behind me to make sure it is still there!   :)  $300.00

K.P:
How aggressive of an alignment are you planning on running?

When I had my Miata, the RE71Rs heat cycled them selves into hockey pucks before they physically wore out. Unless you plan on driving this car to Packwood or Lincoln I wouldn't bother with a trailer. If you plan to attend the majority of events held in 2019 you will be going through at least one set of tires, some additional mileage on weekends and to and from events will not be a big deal.

Reijo:
Photos of enclosed custom trailer with independent suspension.  You will have lots of room for stuff incl. two sets of tires if you wish (one set on top).

The extra room in a Miata is very useful and you can pack like a regular car or even more PLUS the tires!   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version