Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:12:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

14 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: would like some opinions on my miata.  (Read 5138 times)

Dirtyspoons

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
would like some opinions on my miata.
« on: January 17, 2019, 03:18:10 PM »
hey so i'm building me a STS miata and i don't really want to be putting any extra KM On the race tires (re71r's0 when driving to and from events. and i can't really fit the 4 extra tires in the trunk... would you recommend buying a trunk rack? install a hitch and PULL a trailer or even a trailer mount cargo thing?... i think i know where i can get a hitch for the car, so i was leaning to the hitch cargo carrier with a 500lb max...

i don't know... other than getting a friend to haul my tires for me or swap them on before i leave for the event. but even then i don't want to put 100+k worth of highway on the tires and kill them before the season is over.

what do the wizards of the sport have to say?

thanks  for any help

nnywg

• :|
  • My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
Re: would like some opinions on my miata.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 03:46:32 PM »
There's mini-trailers that people use for this - Princess Boutique, Harbour Freight etc.  Personally that's the route I would take.  They're under $500, keeps the cantilevered loads off your stiff/racey suspension, and requires no mods to the actual car like a cargo rack would. 

First google result - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TekHx939Qf8

Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 04:03:30 PM »
I pulled a small enclosed, custom-built trailer for many years with my Miata and S2000 ... extra room for tool box and other items as well!    Actually I am thinking of selling it since I do not need it right now.  INterested?  It has independent Honda Acccord suspension and handles really well even around corners ... very low ... sometimes have to look behind me to make sure it is still there!   :)  $300.00

K.P

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:03:50 PM »
How aggressive of an alignment are you planning on running?

When I had my Miata, the RE71Rs heat cycled them selves into hockey pucks before they physically wore out. Unless you plan on driving this car to Packwood or Lincoln I wouldn't bother with a trailer. If you plan to attend the majority of events held in 2019 you will be going through at least one set of tires, some additional mileage on weekends and to and from events will not be a big deal.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 04:25:17 PM »
Photos of enclosed custom trailer with independent suspension.  You will have lots of room for stuff incl. two sets of tires if you wish (one set on top).

The extra room in a Miata is very useful and you can pack like a regular car or even more PLUS the tires!   

JamesTCallaghan

• That cone is still in the box!
  • If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 07:06:39 PM »
I have a tire tail I used on my Miata to cart wheels to events. All you need is a hitch to attach it to. $50

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 07:59:56 PM »
I had a tire tail for my S2000, and absolutely hated the thing.  The car was just too light on the front end, and I never felt safe or stable on the highway.  The effect on fuel consumption was also horrible.

I also spent years hauling Hoosiers around in a small trailer, and it worked much better, since it was also good for hauling water sprayers, jacks, tools, etc.  Better fuel economy as well.

Or, just do like I have for the last few years and drive the tires to the event.  All of my tires wore out on the shoulder long before the highway miles had any major effect.  Basically, my RE-71Rs are good for 15000 KM or more on the highway and still give me up to 200 autox runs.

2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

k1l4m

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile

Ryan S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 09:54:35 AM »
I've been looking into a custom single axle trailer for the MR2 - main concern is keeping the tongue weight down so the car still drives properly - especially a concern in something that is already rear heavy.  Most small 1" x 1" hitch receivers have a very low tongue weight maximum so I would not suggest using them as a 'tire tail' to support the full weight of the tires, wheels etc. etc.

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 10:08:56 AM »
Agreed that I wouldn't want to overload the back of a little sports car with a tire tail. A properly designed tire trailer puts very little weight on the hitch -- you can lift the front of a fully loaded one with one arm.
Stephen Hui

Dirtyspoons

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 10:30:26 AM »
wow lots of good input here..

i was totally leaning towards the tire tale... and because each tire would be close to 25lb each i didn't think that 100lb ish would make that big of a difference with a stiff (spec miata style) suspension.

i like the garage start idea but am kida weary on how it would mount into the vehicle how easy it would be to take in and out. i could not find any install instructions on that site..

so i think either way i'm going to get a hitch

Reijo i love your trailer... but maybe for my first outing i can find a cheaper less pro kinda utility to tow behind the car. y'all know me i'm cheep as hell...

still open to all options at this time thank you everyone!!!

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 10:36:21 AM »
i was totally leaning towards the tire tale... and because each tire would be close to 25lb each i didn't think that 100lb ish would make that big of a difference with a stiff (spec miata style) suspension.

Yeah, but at  highway speeds, the air resistance makes that closer to 500+ lbs.  You will notice this in a big way in both weight balance and fuel economy.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Dirtyspoons

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 10:51:57 AM »
How aggressive of an alignment are you planning on running?

When I had my Miata, the RE71Rs heat cycled them selves into hockey pucks before they physically wore out. Unless you plan on driving this car to Packwood or Lincoln I wouldn't bother with a trailer. If you plan to attend the majority of events held in 2019 you will be going through at least one set of tires, some additional mileage on weekends and to and from events will not be a big deal.

i'm planing on running 3.5 front and 2.5 rear ish... and adjust from there. i live in innisfail and attend almost every RDSCC event and i make it to some SASC events and i would like to hit FM a few times next year. but previously i do about 10-18 events a year. and have never had a set of RE71's last me a full season. weather daily driving or not. but i have been driving FWD and AWD ... so i'm not sure how much a RWD will change my tire shredding. 

K.P

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 01:17:20 PM »

i'm planing on running 3.5 front and 2.5 rear ish... and adjust from there. i live in innisfail and attend almost every RDSCC event and i make it to some SASC events and i would like to hit FM a few times next year. but previously i do about 10-18 events a year. and have never had a set of RE71's last me a full season. weather daily driving or not. but i have been driving FWD and AWD ... so i'm not sure how much a RWD will change my tire shredding.

If you are planning on running any meaningful amount of toe with that much camber prepare to be buying new tires every other month if you plan to be attending numerous FM events. It might make more sense to buy a truck and a trailer at this point. :p

Good thing 15" tires are cheap.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 03:30:03 PM »
Miatas are probably about the easiest on tires of all cars ... and especially in STS trim because you can run more camber ...  The camber will be good for autox wear (most of your wear) and not so good for long distance highway trips.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14