Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:53:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

6 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Novice Guide!  (Read 21512 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Novice Guide!
« on: April 19, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »
If you are new to autox, here's an autox guide in pdf format available on-line from the Los Angeles region friends that has a bunch of very useful information:
Link corrected:  March 19, 2017

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/2abe7c_1bf8c3818f5347f38a36a0c2fddfde7e.pdf

(Above Link updated, April 3, 2018)

One of the key questions?   When to arrive:  Come before 8 am so you have time to empty your car, walk the course (multiple times is recommended in order to memorize it!), pump up and/or change your tires, and whatever other preparation you need to do ... or just come and hang out and talk cars and racing!

Or better yet, offer to lend a hand (we all need help!) setting up the course, chalking the course, etc. or other tasks that need to be done at the beginning of the day.  There is no better way to get to know people better than to work with them!   :)

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: Novice Guide!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 08:58:29 PM »
And here's the "classic" one at the Tire Rack web site ... lots of good info in here also!:

https://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

March 19, 2017:   This video has been removed and is no longer available.

Reijo

flipstah

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
  • Drifts prematurely.
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 05:29:20 PM »
Are you holding novice events during the summer?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 08:42:15 PM »
There is a novice championship that is a part of the championship series.

Of course, this Saturday is a novice school at Ft. Macleod plus you can also take a serious look at the SoloPro Schools which will get you on-track right away....

R

Stuart

• That cone is still in the box!
  • Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 09:22:26 PM »
The other thing to note is that all events should be very welcoming to novices.  I can't think of an experienced driver here that wouldn't lend a hand to anyone else.  If you see someone who has a done up car the magic words are "Hi, I'm new to this..." and I would guarantee that at a bare minimum they can point you to someone that can assist.  Also ask for lots of ride alongs and for people to ride with you, there is lots to learn from both.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 10:28:47 PM »
We (the experienced drivers) are all willing to give rides, ride along, give hints and help...

All event are novice events.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

LilDrunkenSmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 07:55:07 AM »

Come down this weekend.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 03:48:54 PM »
Here's a bunch of newly organized SCCA Novice information I just stumbled across:  (updated March 19, 2017)

https://www.scca.com/pages/what-is-autocross
R

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 10:39:16 AM »
Just a reminder for the new people among us, there is a lot of good material here to take a look at in this thread!  And, welcome! 

R

teamkickinassphalt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 03:03:59 PM »
If you are new to autox, here's an autox guide in pdf format available on-line from the Los Angeles region friends that has a bunch of very useful information:

Link corrected:  March 19, 2017

http://www.solo2.com/MiscDocuments/Cal_Club_Autocross_Novice_Guide.pdf

One of the key questions?   When to arrive:  Come before 8 am so you have time to empty your car, walk the course (multiple times is recommended in order to memorize it!), pump up and/or change your tires, and whatever other preparation you need to do ... or just come and hang out and talk cars and racing!

Or better yet, offer to lend a hand (we all need help!) setting up the course, chalking the course, etc. or other tasks that need to be done at the beginning of the day.  There is no better way to get to know people better than to work with them!   :)

Reijo

I read the guide and they are suggesting shuffle steering, what are your thoughts on that Reijo?
James:
The Pylon Whisperer

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 11:04:13 PM »
Some say there are many ways to handle a steering wheel.  I found as I progressed over the years, I gradually began to shuffle steer more and more such that I currently almost exclusively do it:  I find it "more comfortable" to have my hands at 3 and 9 when going around a corner.  However in a quick transition or corner I have some times found I do not have enough time to move my hands so then I use some other technique and even hand over hand .... or pre-position my hands prior to entering the corner ... anticipating the corner (I still find that difficult to remember to do ... an on-going work you might say).

However, I also remember, many, many years ago, riding along with someone (do not recall who it was) and they were shuffle steering but very, very poorly in that the car literally jerked every single time they moved their hands.  In all fairness I believe they were trying to learn how to do it I would imagine.  Nevertheless I remember how jerky it was ... not very smooth.  Ideally you should not be able to feel when the hands are moved ... no jerkiness whatsoever. 

It is something you can practice on the street and hence get used to it.  That is how I drive on a daily basis.   

:)

R

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 06:40:36 AM »
Some say there are many ways to handle a steering wheel.  I found as I progressed over the years, I gradually began to shuffle steer more and more such that I currently almost exclusively do it:  I find it "more comfortable" to have my hands at 3 and 9 when going around a corner.  However in a quick transition or corner I have some times found I do not have enough time to move my hands so then I use some other technique and even hand over hand .... or pre-position my hands prior to entering the corner ... anticipating the corner (I still find that difficult to remember to do ... an on-going work you might say).

However, I also remember, many, many years ago, riding along with someone (do not recall who it was) and they were shuffle steering but very, very poorly in that the car literally jerked every single time they moved their hands.  In all fairness I believe they were trying to learn how to do it I would imagine.  Nevertheless I remember how jerky it was ... not very smooth.  Ideally you should not be able to feel when the hands are moved ... no jerkiness whatsoever. 

It is something you can practice on the street and hence get used to it.  That is how I drive on a daily basis.   

:)

R

I think I would have said something very similar.  I'm sure that I still haven't mastered it, and am jerky on occasion... but the thought of crossing over now gives me the willies.

teamkickinassphalt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 08:44:59 AM »
Very interesting, thanks for your thoughts fellows.
James:
The Pylon Whisperer

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 11:57:09 AM »
When you put them on, (yeah, there's even rules for numbers and classes! They need to be visible. ). Basically the number should be on either side of the car (not on windows btw), 1.25" stroke and 8" (200 mm) high minimum. Class lettering can be 4" high as a min.

So if you have thin painters' tape it might even be an idea of making it double wide to make the numbers/letters more readable by corner workers.

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 06:30:52 PM »
Bump!   Might as well bring this topic to the top of the list again with the new people showing up.

March 19, 2017:  I just checked the links and had to make some corrections!  So go back to the first few posts in this topic for the links to a Novice Guide from LA (note some "stuff" will not apply locally).

R

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 6