Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:50:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

11 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: New Car: Suggestions?  (Read 11104 times)

NickST

• :|
  • Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
New Car: Suggestions?
« on: June 28, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »
Yo! How is my favorite club doing these days!   ;D

I was hoping to get some opinions on a new car, I am looking at picking up something fun for next spring. The two I was debating between were the BMW M2 Competition (w/ manual) and the Civic Type R.

Just wondering which one you guys think is generally more competitive for AutoX (assuming they are both on the same brand of tires).

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
Re: New Car: Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 03:55:50 PM »
Just wondering which one you guys think is generally more competitive for AutoX (assuming they are both on the same brand of tires).

This one's easy -- the Type R is *much* more competitive in Street trim. The Type R is one of the cars to have, if not the car to have, in D Street. Conversely, while the regular M2 is competitive in B Street, the M2 Competition was placed in A Street, where it's not really a great choice against the Z06 Corvettes and Ryan in his Cayman.

DS also arguably has a softer index than AS, if your local club races using PAX.
Stephen Hui

PaulT

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 04:17:07 PM »
Nick, come back for the Nationals and tripod it. It would be nice to see you again.
PaulT #202

JamesTCallaghan

• If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 04:26:46 PM »
I would say the CTR is better for auto x but I still wouldn’t buy one.

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 06:19:30 PM »
Awesome, I knew I could count on you guys for a quick run down on them!

Paul, maybe next summer if everything works out I will be around in the summer with a new toy! Haha. Fingers crossed.

James, any reason you'd avoid the Type R. I know the styling is polarizing, but I kind of dig it

JamesTCallaghan

• If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 07:01:05 PM »
Awesome, I knew I could count on you guys for a quick run down on them!

Paul, maybe next summer if everything works out I will be around in the summer with a new toy! Haha. Fingers crossed.

James, any reason you'd avoid the Type R. I know the styling is polarizing, but I kind of dig it

Outside of auto x I just don’t like how it drives. The seating position is not as good as I expected, the infotainment is horrible, I find it has a lot of road noise, and I find the build quality in general is not great. The interior space is ok with the seats folded. The fuel economy seems to lag its rivals on the highway. I also despise electronic parking brakes. Personal feelings really.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 09:09:42 PM »
The regular M2 is amazing ... having driven the Anderson's (thanks!) M2 a few times, I have to say it is one of the best balanced cars I have driven and very fast and definitely competitive.  If I had money, I  would seriously consider one.  Go for a test drive.

And having said that, the Type R is the best FWD car I have driven ... pretty amazing!   Great turn-in.

Apex Carver

• Global Moderator
  • I Drive Like I'm New Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 09:16:45 PM »
I feel like im qualified to comment on this topic  ;D

For Auto-X i'd say Type-R for sure. The car is an absolute weapon. It is ridiculously easy to go fast in the car and push. I'd say you'd get comfortable with the CTR faster than the M2.

The seats are ridiculously comfortable for what they are. The suspension is amazing on the road, doesnt beat you up at all.

Brakes are some of the best i've experienced on a road car feel wise.

You can hold a ton of stuff in the hatch (like a spare set of wheels).

That being said, there are a few drawbacks to the CTR:

- It chews through front tires like nobody's business. Front tires arent exactly cheap either (especially if you go with the 285 setup).

- You have to go through this stupid pedal dance to get all the nannies off every time you switch on the car

- As mentioned the electronic parking brake is a huge pain in the ass

- Infotainment sucks (as mentioned). If you do android auto/apple carplay its better (even bearable) 

- Build quality isnt the best.... it is made in Swindon after all, but get ready for rattles and huge panel gaps (if that matters to you).

-You cant hear anything out of the stock exhaust, if you keep the stock exhaust get ready to ride the limiter ALOT

-Steering feel isnt great. It's best in comfort mode but if you run R+ or do the pedal dance it defaults to a setting that doesnt give you a ton of feedback.

Anyhow, the positives outweigh the negatives for me. If you want to chat more about the car or want any feedback on setup just shoot me a PM
Chris S. #86

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 09:27:56 PM »
Yeah maybe this will come down to doing a back to back test drive in the end.

I've had my heart set on the M2 for a very long time, but it is hard to ignore the price difference given that I like both quite a lot. The Type R just seems like a bargain in comparison and more practical as a DD. I think my main concern with the Type R is if it would actually be boring to drive as a DD.

For the 2019 model of the Honda they fixed up the infotainment system; most of the reviews I have seen have people complaining about how they adjust the climate control every time they want to turn the volume up or down. This years model apparently has a dedicated volume knob and everything now, haha.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11