Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:37:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

17 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 2019 Canadian Autoslalom Championship presented by Overtime Rentals (w/Results)  (Read 4055 times)

Type_Yarr

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
This thread is for all Canadian Nationals results, questions, discussions, etc.

Day 1 Summary (by Sera B.):

The day started mild, with clear blue skies and no wind...beautiful autocrossing weather in the Southern Alberta foothills. 

The modified classes set out first, completing their three runs on the Day 1 course whipped up by Tom G.  It seemed this tricky course rewarded the driver who could stay clean and focus on looking well ahead.

Street classes were up next, to round out the morning's heats.  The wind began to pick up, and marshals persevered gusts up to 70km/hr! Finally, during third runs, the wind took it upon itself to alter the course, making driving and marshalling difficult to say the least.

We managed to finish the heat, break for lunch while the course designers set to making changes for the afternoon session, but the wind was too fierce.  During afternoon course walks, it was clear that the course was not going to stand up against the gusts. Stewards were forced to make the call to end the day early.

Looking forward to Day 2 runs tomorrow! See everyone bright and early!

Results for Day 1 attached.
Richard B

Type_Yarr

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
In case anyone's awaiting the results, here's the combined results file. We'll try to get a short synopsis up tomorrow.
Richard B

Canuck

• View Profile
Great event - thanks again to the organizing committee and to Overtime Rentals for the support.
1981 Volvo 242 GLT
1966 Volvo 122 (long term project)

SerafinaB

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
Day 2 Summary:

Day 1 ended with some close racing. I'll highlight a summary of the top three overall, and a couple of the closest below.

Richard had a 0.127s lead in overall PAX, but The Tom's (G and K) were in the hunt. They finished Day 1 0.075s apart in BS, taking the 2nd and 3rd spots overall. Shannon and Brock had the tightest battle, with Shannon ending Day 1 on top by only 0.001s!! The SSC race had Jared in front by 0.448s.

Day 2 started out, dare i say it, chilly! The wind was mild, but it turned into a scorcher! Richard's course started on the other end of the runway with a slalom into a tricky turnaround on the apron. A right hand sweeper led you back onto the runway, where you had to shoot the gap into the "wallums". A second slalom led you into the figure 8 turnaround. Navigate all the way back, and into the finish. The afternoon swapped the turnaround directions, which provided an interesting variation. Risk was rewarded on this course, and we had some fantastic driving from everyone!

The battles got even hotter as the day progressed. Drivers looked fast, and we had a great view of some 4 wheel slides in the sweeper. Quick summary on the couple close ones mentioned above.

- Tom K found time to take the lead in BS from Tom G, but only by 0.125s combined overall for the weekend!
- Shannon and Brock ended the weekend reversed as well, with Brock ahead by 0.884s combined.
- Derek and Jared competed fiercely all day, and swapped places in the end, with Derek in front by only 0.316s combined.
- Cam had an amazing Day 2, clawing back an incredible amount of time to hop into the trophies in Street.
- Alan had an amazing run in his Caterham Super in the morning, taking FTD for Day 2 AM with a 52.800s!
- Dallin found a massive amount of time in the afternoon, coming in only 0.227s behind Richard for the Day 2 PM session.

The hunt for the overall champion was close in all three sessions. The spread from first to third after Day 1 was only 0.202s with Richard in the lead, followed by Tom G and Tom K. Richard was on a mission on Day 2, working that M3 hard all day to extend his lead to 2.064s.

At the end of two amazing days, The 2019 Canadian Autoslalom Champion was Richard, in his wife's M3 ;) (I had to!)

The top ten looked like this:

1       Richard B             
   2       Tom K             
   3       Tom G         
   4       Brock M         
   5       Dallin B               
   6       Cam W           
   7       Shannon W       
   8       Murray P       
   9       Derek O 
  10      Jared C         

Thanks to ALL of the organizers and participants for helping to make this an excellent weekend. Can't wait for the next!
#151 - FS

sti-tom

• View Profile
Fantastic event, even with the wind trying to wreck our fun on Day 1. Thanks to the organizers for all the hard work that goes into making an event like this happen, it is greatly appreciated.

Dirtyspoons

• View Profile
i had so much fun racing on the week end. i miss racing with this club so much. it is like getting together with long lost family.

Shifting gears

• If it ain’t broke, modify it anyway
    • View Profile
Congrats Sera

It’s a great feeling when someone accomplishes something great in your car even if it is your Hubby not that you don’t kick ass yourself👍

I’m extremely grateful for Reijo co driving and confirming how competitive my miata really is by getting Top Raw with it as I’m not sure I’ll ever get it there😬

A big thanks to everyone that had a hand in setting up and executing the event as well as everyone that attended🍻

A thanks to James and his Big Miata for pushing me all weekend even though I faltered and he took 2nd in Prep away in our last run🥴

This was my first and likely my last Championship type event but I appreciate you all making it a memorable one👊

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Thanks to the organizers for a well done event.

I know it takes a whole lot of effort to put on events like this so I appreciate that and the effort put in.

It was a good event that felt more like a local event strangely enough ... racing with a bunch of friends.

I suspect the economy may have had something to do with the low entry levels as discussed with someone on the weekend.  In fact, if it were not for Dave's offer of a ride, I would not have competed either.   So a big thanks to you, Dave.  It was challenging (another good learning experience) but definitely fun in the end.

So, again, kudos to the organizers and Overtime Rentals for the sponsorship!

Rubicon

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
43 racers for a National Championship?? What happened?

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
For better or worse, for as long as I can remember, the Canadian "national championship" has never attracted people from across the country -- at most, it got some people from adjacent provinces.

We didn't even get BC or Manitoba contingents this year. Their programs seem to have withered in the past few years, which presumably accounts for their non-attendance.

Fun facts: AB is sending more people to US Nats than any other Canadian province; we account for 43% of all Canadian registrants. There are only 37 Canadians registered to go, period, which is a bit depressing -- most medium-sized American cities send that many people. There isn't a single person from BC registered! :(
Stephen Hui

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
For better or worse, for as long as I can remember, the Canadian "national championship" has never attracted people from across the country -- at most, it got some people from adjacent provinces.
<snip>

I do remember being impressed at two Canadian National events where people drove from Quebec and Ontario to attend.  Rare, but not out of reach.  I do think a lot of the issue has been venue -- the Nationals in Saskatoon certainly drew people from fairly far away.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

sti-tom

• View Profile
I think the Packwood events being the 2 weekends before, likely stopped any chance of BC people coming out in addition to a venue that's not as nice as their local one.

Type_Yarr

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
It was surprisingly low attendance given that 88 showed up to Fort Macleod for 2015. This year’s CAC probably should have counted as an event towards the SASC season championship to help bring out more of our club as well.

Also, we’re short one radio. Please check if you inadvertently brought it home with you, and let us know if you have it. Thanks!
Richard B

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
The few photos and videos friends and I took at CAC are here:
https://201907cdnnatsatfm.shutterfly.com/

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
The few photos and videos friends and I took at CAC are here:
https://201907cdnnatsatfm.shutterfly.com/

The link should work now ... 2nd time I have reset it ... weird.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17