Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:25:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

20 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: New member with some questions  (Read 3217 times)

soarhigh

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
New member with some questions
« on: October 08, 2020, 03:35:30 PM »
Hello, i’m a new member wanting to get involved with autocross.

I see theres a practise event in airdrie on the 17th. Do you have to be a member to drive?

Also the helmet I have that meets the requirements is a dirt bike helmet. Is that a problem? Do i need to wear goggles too?

soarhigh

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
Re: New member with some questions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 09:40:45 PM »
Hello. I’m wanting to come out oct 17th for my first go. Ive been reading and reading and keep coming up with more questions than answers. I have a 2011 bmw 135i so my understanding is classed f street but the stock tires are 140 treadwear so? I’m also running a 1” wider wheel and tire in the front so? Also it has a dinan tune so? Does all this bump it up to street touring?

ZiG

• That cone is still in the box!
  • Locost 7 #303
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 10:49:44 PM »
Well first to answer the questions in your other thread, you can use the dirtbike helmet as long as it has a Snell M2010 rating or better (Helmets with only DOT are not allowed). No you do not need to wear goggles. Registration for the Airdrie event is members-only until Friday, then opens up. When you get to the venue in the morning make sure to identify yourself as a first-timer so someone can show you what to do.

As for your questions about classing, I assume you are referencing this? https://www.scca.com/downloads/49336-2020-solo-rules-complete-reduced-2020-03-16/download

No comment about the treadwear, but you can check page 88 for the allowable tire sizes and wheel widths for STU (which also allows engine tuning). Sounds like that's probably where you should be classed. Just don't worry about it too much for this event. Once you get hooked you can go through everything in detail and be ready for next season.

94boosted

• Administrator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 11:28:16 AM »
Hello, i’m a new member wanting to get involved with autocross.

I see theres a practise event in airdrie on the 17th. Do you have to be a member to drive?

Also the helmet I have that meets the requirements is a dirt bike helmet. Is that a problem? Do i need to wear goggles too?

Your helmet may or may not work. Please read through this section: https://web.sascsolo.com/autocross-101/
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

soarhigh

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 01:06:47 PM »
Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. I assumed i needed to know the class for reg. Fingers crossed for good weather!

rairdan93

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 08:46:51 PM »
To be in street touring your tires need to meet the same requirements as the street classes. Which is 200. 140 tread wear rating will put you in street prepared I believe.
Matt #3  CAM-C  2005 Mustang GT

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 20