Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:29:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

25 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: EVs in 2022  (Read 1016 times)

ZiG

• That cone is still in the box!
  • Locost 7 #303
    • View Profile
EVs in 2022
« on: April 02, 2022, 03:56:20 PM »
Hey all,

In the email we got last week from John (via MSreg), there was a line that reads: "The last thing of note is that at this time WCMA (and our insurers) will not be allowing electric vehicles to participate in 2022 - we apologize to those folks who this impacts (there was definitely some fast times put down last year!) but we are bound by the terms of our insurance."

Now I tried googling around but couldn't find any other references to this. Wondering if there are any other details available (and if there's a story behind it). I am seriously considering running an EV in 2023, fingers crossed they are allowed back by then!

Bitters

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
Re: EVs in 2022
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 01:43:31 PM »
It comes down to a decision made by the insurer (that comes through the WCMA). Not much of a story, other than battery related liability I believe. At the next meeting, I can follow up with Doug for some more intel.

ZiG

• Locost 7 #303
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 11:26:13 AM »
For anyone else wondering, I managed to dig up some more info and figured I may as well post it here. I recently spoke to the president and VP of the WCMA as well as another source familiar with the situation.

The concern is indeed battery fires, and I'm told the insurance company won't cover damage to the venue due to a battery fire. For those unaware, the various breeds of lithium batteries found in electric and hybrid vehicles tend to burn hotter and are harder to put out compared to say a gasoline fire.

This same insurance company apparently insures all motorsport across Canada. GDS Canada is working on a set of requirements for EVs (including procedures for dealing with a fire) but all discussions are happening behind closed doors. I'm told that it will likely be some time before these requirements are published, and then it will be up to each province to decide whether they want to adhere to these regulations or just bar EVs from competition.

So unfortunately for me, I gambled and lost when I decided to convert my bike-engined car to electric. Dang.

One other point for anyone else who is sidelined with their EV, I guess BC is still allowing them to compete despite the lack of insurance for damage to the venue from a fire. You could drive out to Kelowna to catch come autocross there... at least for now.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 12:12:56 AM »
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

ZiG

• Locost 7 #303
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 10:41:49 AM »
Very interesting, thanks for posting that Murray!

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25