Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:42:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

13 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Time for a RWD  (Read 6111 times)

Midnightsky

• :|
    • View Profile
Time for a RWD
« on: June 14, 2015, 09:35:46 PM »
Guys I need your help.  I am really having a tough time finding something RWD that would be fun in auto-x, non-vert so that it can be enjoyed in winter as well, and fits my fat bottom and wide hips.  My goal/theory is that driving a RWD coupe for a few years would be a great asset to helping teach myself rwd balance/control.  As badly as I want to try a Miata or S2000 its just not practical for myself.  As much as an RX8 would be fun, I need more reliability.  An FRS would be perfect, except its beyond what Im willing to spend. That being said I wont spend more than $10,000 on this endevour.  Overall I just feel like in FWD I have learned a great deal and without investing heavily into a FWD setup that I do not have as much left to learn.   I feel......to comfortable in FWD......I want to challange myself, and RWD is the ticket I crave.

*My short list for something RWD*

-Nissan 350Z(1st or 2nd Gen)
-Hyundai Genesis Coupe(1st Gen turbo, V6 costs too much still)
-Insert More Cars Here

Pricewise Im pretty much stuck on a 350z or a Genesis.  I drove a newer Genesis Coupe on Ghost Lake and did find I enjoyed the balance.  Honestly I think I felt more balanced in the Genesis than I did in an FRS.  What do you guys think? Have I missed anything?
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

Cagare

• Administrator
  • 2020 Club President
    • View Profile
Re: Time for a RWD
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 10:39:40 PM »
What about a Ford Mustang GT.  Also, could consider an E36 BMW 3 Series.  Probably both would be in your price range and have what you are after a 2+2 layout rear wheel drive.  Both have reasonable trunk space and are livable daily drivers.

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 02:11:54 AM »
Not ready to spend money on maintaining a Euro.  The Mustang, plausible, I know Cam/Jess did well in theirs for the time they did auto-x in it.  Are newer Mustangs worth while tho? I think the 350z classes higher.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 03:08:22 AM »
Why be practical?    ;)

What do you really need?

People used to ask me about whether my Miata was warm in the winter or not.  I used to tell them I kept the top up!  (note there are hard tops available also but not req'd for winter).  Both the Miata and current S2000 are warm in the winter ... Miata probably being the warmest car I've owned ... small space to heat up etc.  Neither had hardtops.

The Miata actually has more useable room than the S2000 .... I was even known to take the passenger seat out some times to make room for a bigger box or so .... did that twice or so I think ... and then there is the option of a trailer for extra tires etc.  Do you travel most of the time yourself?  If so, why would you need more room?  You then have one extra seat as it is!   :)

Reijo

James@SpecR

• That cone is still in the box!
  • WTB: Driving Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 06:26:49 AM »
Why be practical?    ;)

What do you really need?

People used to ask me about whether my Miata was warm in the winter or not.  I used to tell them I kept the top up!  (note there are hard tops available also but not req'd for winter).  Both the Miata and current S2000 are warm in the winter ... Miata probably being the warmest car I've owned ... small space to heat up etc.  Neither had hardtops.

The Miata actually has more useable room than the S2000 .... I was even known to take the passenger seat out some times to make room for a bigger box or so .... did that twice or so I think ... and then there is the option of a trailer for extra tires etc.  Do you travel most of the time yourself?  If so, why would you need more room?  You then have one extra seat as it is!   :)

Reijo

Miata is always the answer, in fact I have one for sale right now too and it even comes with a hard top...

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 08:00:45 AM »
I also begrudge all convertibles and their drivers.

Before I bought my FRS I tested a couple 2nd hand Genesis and actually quite liked them.   Just never ever pop the hood and look underneath. The 4cyl in particular looks like an all black version of a 70's Toyota 2TC, and that makes it pretty hard to feel great about your car.

Z's are nice.  The only thing really terrible about them is the door handles.  >:(

NickST

• Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 09:15:54 AM »
There is a track edition of the 350Z which has lightweight wheels, an LSD, and Brembo's.

You can find them once in a while on Kijiji and they are pretty well priced

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-nissan-350z-sport-track/1078671614?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

majormojo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 11:11:16 AM »
Mustang
Lexus IS
BMW E30 + $$ maintenance...

I'd probably go for the latter. E30's are fun and easy enough to work on. Lagging behind today's safety standards and fuel economy, but there's a ton of aftermarket parts for them. Just plan for the maintenance costs as part of the overall experiment.
Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 12:42:08 PM »
I test fit a Miata from a club member a few weeks ago and it was not pretty.  Floor mounted seat would be a requirement just to daily drive it.   I love the idea of a Miata but I just feel my steering and pedal inputs would be greatly limited.   Im leaning towards the 350z.......we'll see how things pan out this summer.

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 03:42:34 PM »
There is a track edition of the 350Z which has lightweight wheels, an LSD, and Brembo's.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-nissan-350z-sport-track/1078671614?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Something like that would be my choice as well. 350's are good cars and those VQ motors are stout.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

James@SpecR

• WTB: Driving Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 03:49:12 PM »

Something like that would be my choice as well. 350's are good cars and those VQ motors are stout.

Didn't some of the early ones have oil consumption issues?

NickST

• Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 03:54:08 PM »

The wheels on the track edition are actually forged Rays, so extremely lightweight and highly desirable wheels. The LSD is also nice, haha.
http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wheel_Specifications

I had given serious thought to this as a autoX car a few years back, but I couldn't find a track edition to pull the trigger on

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 11:32:39 PM »
good info, thank you for sharing, maybe I will save up till next year so I can get a track edition model.......sounds like the right fit for me. 

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 11:38:39 PM »
Who's willing to let me test fit their S2000? Also if anyone has a miata with a floor mounted drivers seat I would be interested in test fitting that as well.  Im starting to think I would be happier in an S2000 or Miata over a 350z or genesis coupe.  If I plan it properly I can acquire a Miata or S2000 as a 2nd vehicle, setup for mainly summer use.  Just need to try one more test fit in either car before I discount them as an option. 

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 12:21:59 AM »
There are Miatae and S2000's at most autox's during the summer and you can see there right away whether you fit in one.  You just need to come out.   :)

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13