Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:49:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

9 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Tire Chains  (Read 3028 times)

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
Tire Chains
« on: December 08, 2014, 07:15:55 AM »
Anyone have thoughts on tire chains?

I have yet to drive my FRS in this weather, and the more time that passes, the less I think that I'm going to.  Instead I'm driving a Dodge Power Wagon, which with locking and/or limited slip diffs is pretty interesting.  I know Chris S had a truck with chains out on the lake a couple years back, and I've been thinking about buying some myself just to try out.  Four all for wheels...

Question is... can I actually drive the truck with chains on it?  Or do I need to doddle around everywhere and keep wheel speeds low?  Is there any particular type that is best?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Chains
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 10:06:59 AM »
I know Chris broke at least one of the chains at the lake ... probably by too much wheel spin?    They are meant for low speed application  (I seem to remember 45 mph) and not highway speeds although some of the "new" chains are more like cables and may withstand more speed than the heavy chains .... (think of the damage they can do if they let loose...).  But chains have been around for a long time ... remember seeing them on tractors and trucks etc. when conditions were really bad when I was a kid in NW Ontario....   They work.

I don't know about types but typically you get what you pay for ... 'nuff said.

Kyle_Kelso

• Not Quite DFL...
  • I'm New Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 12:23:52 AM »
There are some models of chains/cables that are suitable for higher speed, but I wouldn't trust them on the road and they don't work that great when off-road.  I would recommend a good set of winter tires like the Nokian Hakka studded LT2 which should have you covered for most winter driving.  If you are pushing snow with your bumper while on the lake or a trail and want chains for that I would recommend good quality V-bar chains.  They aren't cheap, and you can't drive very fast, but for slower off-road use they are what you want.  I almost bought a set but think I'll go for a winch for my SuperDuty first. 

Darn Power Wagons... always making me jealous!

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 07:07:11 AM »
I'm using Grabber AT2's with studs... and though they are studded, they are not that great at all on ice.

Not sure I can justify another $2000 for real winters and some cheap wheels to go with... hence the chains.  I'm doubtful I'd ever use them on the street, but I was thinking it'd be fun to try them on the lake.

Maybe I'll browse around for cables.  Never thought of that... and perhaps they'd be light enough not totally smash up my fenders if they broke at speed. 

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11442
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 11
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9