Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:36:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

18 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 2015 Packwood NT - this weekend! July 10-12  (Read 9155 times)

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
Re: 2015 Packwood NT - this weekend! July 10-12
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2015, 07:31:23 AM »
Not mocking the S2000.

This was the first tour I raced in, and I had a great time.  Sad to say it, but I don't think the local venues allow for a similar experience.  The courses were a blast!  The whole thing was exciting. I even thought that working was a rush. 

...I learned a little about driving too.

Definitely won't discourage anyone from trying it themselves in the future. 

Sprockett

• Global Moderator
  • My cars = For Sale
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2015, 10:02:56 AM »
I wouldn't personally describe the courses as just sweepers. No more really than other courses on other massive venues. If you are going to use the space up, you are going to have to turn. Obviously compared to our runway venue and postage stamp in red deer...well, there are some big turns.

The first day's 'slalom' was really only a 3 cone affair with mostly a crooked straight after but on day two I feel it was a genuine 5 cone slalom (arguably 6) with a super fast entry...not sure what others are seeing. There was also another 3 cone slalom, a fast lane change maneuver, and some pretty massive transitions at day one end/day two start so in general a typical well balanced course?

That said, looking at PAX results the event definitely seemed to favor race tires besides a few anomalies.

Day 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szyRs8opJ84

Day 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSqGimShR7s

Sprockett

• Global Moderator
  • My cars = For Sale
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2015, 10:05:05 AM »
This is Cam's dirty run on day 1 that coulda/shoulda/woulda been first in class by .5sec and 7th on index for the day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6a3hs_J_kI

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2015, 07:18:41 PM »
I wouldn't personally describe the courses as just sweepers. No more really than other courses on other massive venues. If you are going to use the space up, you are going to have to turn. Obviously compared to our runway venue and postage stamp in red deer...well, there are some big turns.

Sorry, my habit of exaggerating got the better of me.  Basically, in my torque limited car, I spent almost all of the time between sweepers with the throttle mashed to the floor.  So, from my point of view, it felt like sweepers connected by straights, and nothing else.  It was fun to drive, but not rewarding in terms of results.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2015, 07:52:05 PM »
I wonder if you could've dumped it into 1st and just rev the heck out of it into 2nd at each turn around?  Obviously the shifting would've had to have been very quick etc.

I watched some other videos (Miata etc) and it seemed like they just kept turning the wheel with the throttle to the floor ... e.g. crooked straights but this certainly was not the case in the Z06 etc.

R

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 12:18:36 AM »
I wonder if you could've dumped it into 1st and just rev the heck out of it into 2nd at each turn around?  Obviously the shifting would've had to have been very quick etc.

I didn't think of it at the time, but in retrospect, I should have tried it.  At least three of the sweepers were tight enough to allow 1st gear to be used.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile

majormojo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 12:05:16 PM »
I had a chance to look at my data from Sunday. On my last run, going into the third big corner about 2/3 into the run I was 1.5 sec ahead of my previous run. I lost it all getting sloppy and loose on the last section. Pushing too hard.

Regarding the layout, it felt to me that I spent most of the time in the big sweepers. As Ryan said no doubt a simple consequence of a big site. The slaloms were all quick 3 cone dodges effectively, not the kind where you can get into a rhythm. Not a complaint, just an observation. The layouts being quite simple, I found the technical aspects to come from the elevations and bumps, not navigation.
Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0