Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:35:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

11 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Video Options  (Read 4755 times)

Canuck

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Video Options
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:05:16 PM »
Just looking for some advice on where to spend my tax return on something that can record in car video.  Opinions are key.  I'd like to get a look at what I'm doing and I see lots of stuff stuck on cars or in cars.  What are the options?
1981 Volvo 242 GLT
1966 Volvo 122 (long term project)

94boosted

• Administrator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
Re: Video Options
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:21:08 AM »
Are you simply looking for video or something a bit more sophisticated that can also record parameters (speed, throttle input, brake input, G-Force etc.) and overlay it onto a video?
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 11:18:18 AM »
I was just looking at the Garmin Virb-XE - I do like the idea of being able to overlay speed and g-forces in one package.  I've also used older gopro's and their interface was not the greatest.  I'm sure that's been fixed over the years.  There's no way for me to record throttle/brake though that would be interesting (no OBDII)
1981 Volvo 242 GLT

Mkelder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 11:55:39 AM »
I've got an ion pro 3 wifi from Walmart. Took a chance, $100-$150 cheaper than the gopro version with same specs. I like their tubular design over the gopro box plus it came with various mounts and is by itself weather proof where as the gopro requires an extra $50 on top of already high price for their cover. They have lower end ones but this one records 1080p at 60fps and the quality seems good from my vids, also the built in mic works quite well too. After buying one I am going to get another one.

Nick was giving some Chinese copy of gopro a try at the last event. I really liked how small they are. Interested in hearing his review on them soon.

NickST

• :|
  • Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 03:34:39 PM »
This is what I brought out this past weekend

http://www.banggood.com/Original-XiaoMi-Yi-Z23-Version-Ambarella-A7LS-BSI-CMOS-WIFI-Sports-Action-Camera-p-995831.html

I reviewed the video briefly, it looks really nice. I am swamped with work this week though so I haven't been able to really dive into it just yet.

Instructions were all in Chinese, it is fairly simple, but you need to know somebody to translate it for you. You can only change modes through a wifi app which is annoying, luckily there is an English version of the app on Google Play.

Pretty good camera, it does 2K at 30 frames per second, and 1080p at 60 frames. If you want really slow motion, it will do 120fps @ 780p. It is really cool to watch stuff in ultra smooth slow motion!

I will post something up once I get stuff edited a bit

majormojo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 06:30:37 PM »
SJCam SJ4000 is another decent budget option for a knockoff GoPro. You can get them for around CAD$100 on Amazon, I imagine even less on dx.com or aliexpress.com if you're willing to wait. I'm thinking of picking up a couple to add additional views. I have a GoPro Hero 3+, and yeah, UI is a nightmare and battery life sucks, but it's a "standard" and well supported by apps for remote triggering etc. Most of the knockoffs are compatible with GoPro accessories and mounts.

Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 07:30:45 AM »
Thanks guys - lots of options for me to look at.  Quite tempted by the cheaper options.  Anyone running a cell phone app like Harry's Lap Timer?  I'm looking at those options - but wonder about making my life more complicated at the start line than it needs to be.
1981 Volvo 242 GLT

Tom M

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
  • I'm New Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 08:01:05 AM »
i remember seeing a smartphone app Trackmaster that could overlay video with data

Terry Johns

• :|
  • "It's the nut behind the wheel that's the problem"
    • View Profile
    • Solutions Life Coaching
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 08:10:13 AM »
I downloaded HLT for the Iphone several years ago but haven't used it. Going to have play today.
Terry Johns #8. 2015 CS Miata
Car is reasonably competitive, shame about the driver

94boosted

• Administrator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 10:13:30 AM »
I use the Track Addict App (iPhone) for lapping as I believe it needs a start/finish line to start/stop recording lap times and then a couple GoPro's for autocross. The big suction cup mount for the GoPro's is a really nice piece and it allows you to mount the camera just about anywhere on the car for filming some neat angles.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

majormojo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 02:58:27 PM »
I've used HLT for autocross and it kinda works, but isn't great. It requires you to mark where the start/finish is and can sometimes get confused if the course runs close to the finish (ie, it terminates the run too soon).

My favorite is CSM laptimer Pro (http://stoppani.net/). It's iOS only. It does not require setup and can use wifi to control a GoPro or to receive data from OBD2 and can use a high resolution Bluetooth GPS unit. Aside from video (from phone or GoPro) with easy overlays, it has good data analysis tools. I'd consider it a good data logger first, and video capture second. Here's a vid made with CMS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyU66YTyJsQ And another where I used iMovie on the phone to do a PIP overlay with a second video stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKMA_ta2bsQ

On Android (and iOS), TrackAddict is pretty good. It also supports external GPS and OBD2 and can control GoPro and Garmin external cams in addition to recording on the phone. It's better for track/lapping than autocross but still a good option.

You're not wrong about making life at the start line more complex than it needs to be. Futzing with cameras and data logging and debugging bluetooth and wifi connections and swapping batteries etc can get to be a bit much. KISS, as they say...

One big advantage of the external GoPro type camera that I learned last season was using the "over the shoulder" view to observe what my hands were doing and look for bad habits and un-smooth movements.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd3ctFalEGM
Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 05:08:41 PM »
Very cool - thanks  Jim.  CMS appears to be Android compatible now and I have to upgrade my phone anyway. 
1981 Volvo 242 GLT

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 05:04:19 PM »
Just a few of my first efforts.  No fancy processing - I'll figure that out later.

Pretty impressed with the results...with the camera considering I didn't have the gyro on and the date stamp is wrong.  All sorted out now.

https://youtu.be/bLY7ut3Di7I

https://youtu.be/gX19x4ItTBc
1981 Volvo 242 GLT

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)