Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:58:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

9 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: What Next: Tuning an old Volvo  (Read 16079 times)

Canuck

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Re: What Next: Tuning an old Volvo
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 07:05:39 PM »
Got the engine tuned this fall - it was a faulty ECU.  Took a long time to sort it out as ECU problems are like chasing your tail.  Next up is new suspension bits and pieces to take advantage of new 200 tread wear tires for the spring. 

Only one little problem.  UPS managed to damaged the packaging from Bilstein and loose on of my custom valved rear shocks!  These will be matched to the higher spring rates that I was running late last year and I'll be doing some more fiddling around with suspension geometry a bit more but not much.

1981 Volvo 242 GLT
1966 Volvo 122 (long term project)

nnywg

• :|
  • My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 10:05:33 AM »
Only one little problem.  UPS managed to damaged the packaging from Bilstein and loose on of my custom valved rear shocks!

Yikes!
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 11:53:18 AM »

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 02:28:43 PM »
Actually - that's pretty much my story so far with UPS.  Bilstein USA have been stand-up and while I would have bought their shocks anyway for future cars, the way they have been dealing with this problem so far has been outstanding.  While I still wait for any response from UPS, Bilstein has begun to remake my shock based on the dyno plots they had for the first set and will provide me with both (I like data - on my car and with my limited experience, I won't be able to tell the difference if it's small).  They immediately put the replacement into production and will deal with UPS.  I won't get charged for the replacement or shipping.  Now I'm sure if they send it UPS, I'll get a brokerage and tax charge.  I'm prepared to fight them over that cost.
1981 Volvo 242 GLT

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2016, 07:08:57 AM »
Here we go again...ECU has died again.  Seems like the ground in the ECU that runs the main power and fuel pumps is gone (a known issue with these things).  No one has a spare.  So my car sits dead and it looks like I won't be making it to the start line on the weekend. 

Time for a stand-alone ECU? :-[
1981 Volvo 242 GLT

nnywg

• My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2016, 09:57:22 AM »
sounds like it's time for a stand-alone ECU.  Bummer, I was looking forward to seeing this thing.
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2016, 04:12:13 PM »
I had it working for a bit...then not.  It's an electrical gremlin.  If I can sort it out, I'll be out.  Otherwise, I'll be parked until I can sort it out fully.  It has to be ready to roll for June's school.
1981 Volvo 242 GLT

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2016, 08:48:46 PM »
Tracked it down...won't be out first thing it the AM for practice, but will try to get there as soon as I can to help out before we run.  Stoked to have it sorted out.  Also fabricated and installed a lower chassis brace.

These tie in the rear of the lower control arm mount to the cross member.  There is even a Volvo PN for factory versions.  Sure does sharpen up the turn in.
1981 Volvo 242 GLT

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2016, 08:55:20 PM »
Good stuff!

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2016, 08:06:44 PM »
Quick update...I think we may have found the cause of the tail-happy nature of this car.  I was down in the novice school again at event #2 to get more feedback from the hot shoe's and whatever the cause, we could all agree that the car was loose.  Tom told me to put more air in the tires - but someone else told me to take air out of the rear tires.  Letting air out was easier and it did manage to balance the car, but it was still a slippery handful. 

So in further conversation with Tom - I jacked the pressures up...way up.  Bingo.  That works.  I tried it the other day and noticed that my brakes felt more effective, corner grip seemed better.  I went from 36/30 PSI F/R to 48/46 PSI F/R.  We couldn't really test it in all situations, but it sure did feel better to me.  We'll see at the school in a few weeks. 
1981 Volvo 242 GLT

NickST

• Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2016, 09:31:42 PM »
Have you been chalking your tires at events at all? I use this method to figure out where to set my tire pressures, I find even being down more than 2psi from my optional range can make the rear get incredibly loose.

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2016, 09:46:53 PM »
Yup - every event so far. I even had others look and the chalk looked fine.  i was told these tires have pretty stiff side walls and there's my proof.  I took temp measurements with my tire pyrometer under the tread surface.  This is a much better way to set tire pressures. 
1981 Volvo 242 GLT

NickST

• Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2016, 09:54:55 PM »
Interesting, what kind of tires are you running?

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2016, 10:05:14 PM »
BFG Sport Comp-2's...an equally long story as I was hoping to buy RE-71R's but they were sold out, then it was the next best thing in a size I could get. I was not rolling over much on the sidewalls, but I was only feathering the outer edges of the tire...nothing in the middle.  At the higher pressures, I was getting consistent temperatures today.  It wasn't like a run - but it was the best that Tom and I could do.  At one point we dropped 2 psi and went from hooked up to loose.  So I'm guessing they have a smallish window.
1981 Volvo 242 GLT

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11442
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0