Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:21:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

9 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Brakes brakes brakes  (Read 1830 times)

kole M

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
  • "I wanna go fast" - Ricky Bobby
    • View Profile
Brakes brakes brakes
« on: November 02, 2015, 08:34:15 PM »
Hello again. Me and my dad are in the silver 07 solstice gxp running this past season and after some brake problems this past season, we have narrowed the problem down to one corner of the car continually boiling the brake fluid so we assume that calliper isnt releasing all the way or something like that. We are wondering if we should replace it with stock brakes or if we should upgrade them all to ported rotors and brembo calipers or something equivalent? I guess the big question is if we did do something along those lines would that take us out of the stock class? what are the limits on brakes and their upgrades for the stock class. Thanks, appreciate any input.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
Re: Brakes brakes brakes
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 09:36:35 PM »
Street class allows you to change fluid and pads only -- rotors and calipers are right out.

Try flushing your fluid -- DOT 3 is just fine for autox -- DOT 4 is a waste of money.

Pads are a personal sort of question; preference guides you here.  I run aftermarket pads, but pretty simple ones (ceramic).  HP does all sorts of brake pads, but most of them are suited for track applications.  Try something milder for autox.  You want lots of bite on first application, but super high temps are a waste of money.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Tuna

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • KG not kg
    • View Profile
Re: Brakes brakes brakes
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 06:59:31 AM »
Keep your stock calliper to remain in Street class. Try either replacing it (check RockAuto.com) or pulling it apart and servicing it.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11442
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 11
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9